This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MisterMiniS View Post
    Hey everyone, I am pulling the motor for some Mx and upgrades starting with the clutch. Since I am down there, I will be also going with a lightweight flywheel. Can anyone tell me if the price difference between UUC and Bimmerworld is worth it? Also, if neither of these two are the best, what is? Finally, this car is not my DD, so fuck noise and whatnot.

UUC

BW

Thanks!
    I would definitely steer clear of UUC. Been trying to warranty a pair of bushings (that failed after 10k miles of light use) for well over a year, no dice. Good to see that they've finally started balancing their flywheels though, or at least started claiming to. :rofl:

Bimmerworld has much better stuff and their customer service is much more competent. Never seen a failure of one of their JB racing flywheels, clutch-masters usually makes really good stuff too.

Make sure you get a steel ball-pin to replace the plastic one in your car. I also recommend a new guide tube "while you're in there."

Originally posted by L-ucky-S-ix View Post
    Nice, ramping up the DSP build. When we had the lightweight clutch and fw setup in the E36, stuff started breaking.
    8.5lbs for that UUC kit is super light. The M5 setup with the Turner fw was 11 if I remember. Half shafts and transmission were casualties.
    That's because your clutch was practically an on/off switch.

What I found on E30 tranny's is that the dual mass flywheels exist in certain models and I don't know if there is definitive information out there that tells which models had them.
    Same thing with the E34 M5 I've noticed. Very strange stuff.

In either case, the problem you should see with the lighter fw is a difference in the throw of the clutch pedal since the clutch has to disengage from a farther distance if it was a dual mass originally.
    A dual mass in good working order won't have much of a different throw, it's when the dual mass starts to fail that the throw becomes longer.

I think it was a 1/4" thickness difference when I compared the two fw's. I had a solution if were going to be a problem... the piston on the clutch slave has a rubber cap that can be doubled up or lengthened so that the its travel is reduced to normal. I don't know if all of that is true though because the widths may be nominal when considering the amount that the pedal travels.
    Either way, perfect time for a pedal stop. That clutch/fw setup engaged and disengaged in such a small deflection of the pedal! It was so ridiculous that we would stall the motor a couple times before getting used to it again. It engaged in something like 1/4 of an inch... super grabby!
    The hydraulic system will automatically compensate for the longer distance, no need to double up on the caps. It's similar to the piston on a brake caliper as the pad wears down. The system will automatically compensate for it, which is why you don't (shouldn't) notice a difference in pedal travel as your brake pads wear down.
    Last edited by Roland H; 11-05-2013, 06:59 AM.

Comment

This is exactly why I posted this in the Mountain section and not the driveline one, people here are full of awesome info. And yes, I have basically heard that the best way to tell if you have single or dual piece flywheel is to crack it open and find out the hard way.
      Anyways, thanks Roland for the good info. While the engine/tranny is out, I will look into replacing those other goodies.
      Some of the work is going to be Mx, such as timing belt, water pump, gaskets, ect...but once that is done, there will be some DSP legal power mods and lightening. I'll make sure to keep everyone here posted.

1989 325i Alpine White
      69 STX

Comment

Last edited by L-ucky-S-ix; 11-05-2014, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Bimmerworld all the way.

Also saw a pretty nice late white 2 door with weaves going up canyon Rd toward Nederland from boulder yesterday. I was on my way down stuck behind some old lady in an audi that would not move over. Took the dirt roads in the Subaru up to caribou and mud lake, which was super-dooper cool.

I don't want to go back to Florida :'(
          The tap water here doesn't make me physically sick either, like FL water does.

Comment

Originally posted by flying_violin View Post
            ^^ I know! Put the snow tires on the car tonight, so now it won't snow at all.... Sorry!
            Totally sunny out of course.

Just passed emissions, should be running CO plates by the end of the day.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by red baron View Post
              Totally sunny out of course.

Just passed emissions, should be running CO plates by the end of the day.
              Congrats! emissions is never fun

Comment

bummed I missed you when you swung by today. Thanks for the replacement blades totally did not have to do that.

PS my wife: "when did you start hanging out with 12 year olds?"
                sigpic

Comment

bummed I missed you when you swung by today. Thanks for the replacement blades totally did not have to do that.

PS my wife: "when did you start hanging out with 12 year olds?"
                  Haha 12 years old! Damn that's harsh, yeah thought I would replace the old ones, thanks again

Comment

anytime. We all gotta meet up soon
                    sigpic

Comment

anytime. We all gotta meet up soon
                      We should do a Unser racing meetup

Comment

Originally posted by ltz Viper View Post
                        Haha 12 years old! Damn that's harsh, yeah thought I would replace the old ones, thanks again
                        hahah you do look pretty young though
                        1997 Audi A4 1.8t 5-Speed (bamboo metallic): ST Coilovers, Sport Edition 17x7.5 Et35, 215/45/17 Kumho AST, Panzer, Depo Ecodes, 55w 5k bulbs, Magnaflow 14815, Res delete, JHM Vent Boost gauge
                        2001.5 Audi s4 2.7tt 6-Speed (Imola Yellow)
                        <<Flickr>>

Comment

Comment

We should do a Unser racing meetup

Or even better, an HPR meetup. You get more seat time per dollar than you do at Unser!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Winter-Pricing)
                            http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

saw an e30 downtown colorado springs this evening. Black 325i early model with rally stickers on both sides and a euro e30 plate that said 'e30 mort'

Anyone seen it around?
                                318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                                '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Working...
                                X