Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Twelvizm View Post
    Is a metric wheel going to work with that big old tire on it? What are you looking to put it on?
    My e30. I need a spare. As it is now, if I get a flat I am fucked.
    -Andy

    Comment


      Originally posted by Austin! View Post
      Fuck VR. I just ordered a pan gasket and vc gasket from Blunt that were both VR. I will not be using either.
      Why the fuck even order a pan gasket?

      I've used VR head gaskets on a lot of engines, BMWs, Jeeps, Toyotas, Isuzus.. not once have I had issues. Ever.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Ryann View Post
        Why the fuck even order a pan gasket?

        I've used VR head gaskets on a lot of engines, BMWs, Jeeps, Toyotas, Isuzus.. not once have I had issues. Ever.
        From what I have been reading, domestic guys have no issues with em. seems only us import people complain about the quality. If you are concerned about aftermarket parts quality go OEM. :hitler:

        Also, how many people replaced a head gasket without any head work (sand paper doesnt count) A few miles later they go on an computer to rage about the quality of the gasket

        Comment


          Troof. 8 years on mine with no issues.

          Comment


            Here are 3 different headgaskets. Look closely at them and tell me which one you would want to run and which you would want to avoid.



            Victor Reinz is on the left, Elring in the middle, and Goetze is on the right
            Last edited by 2mAn; 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM. Reason: derr
            Simon
            Current Car:
            -2000 330i Estate, the dad-mobile
            -1975 Alfa Romeo Giulia Nuova Super 1300, the never-ending name & project



            Make R3V Great Again -2020

            Comment


              Definitely NOT the top one...lol. That one in the middle looks rather nice!
              Portland, Oregon
              E28M5 | E30S50 | E30M3

              Comment


                When I put that 2.7i together (now Simon's) I came across some people talking about VR head gaskets failing. I dismissed it as "internet hype"....one person says they don't like it and it immediately becomes "internet FACT". I put the engine together with the VR head gasket. After a few weeks I got curious about it and did some more research and it does seem like a somewhat common problem. But you'll also find the people that have a "million" miles on a VR.....so who do you believe? Is it bad quality control, some fine some crap?
                For me it's Goetze from now on though. Call it what ever you want....superstition, playing it safe....I don't know. I do know I feel bad for Simon though.

                Comment


                  Ok the sealant goes a different way and the rings look a lil smaller

                  So #1 VR #2 Goat #3 OEM?

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by 2man View Post
                    Here are 3 different headgaskets. Look closely at them and tell me which one you would want to run and which you would want to avoid.

                    [img][/img]

                    Victor Reinz is on the left, Elring in the middle, and Goetze is on the left
                    Just by looking at them I'd pick the one on the right. Because it "looks" better made. I would try to avoid the one on the left.

                    My Goetze HG looked like the one on the right so I'm gessing you meant Goetze on the RIGHT??
                    Driving:1990 325iS, 2007 335i :devil:
                    past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                      From what I have been reading, domestic guys have no issues with em. seems only us import people complain about the quality. If you are concerned about aftermarket parts quality go OEM. :hitler:

                      Also, how many people replaced a head gasket without any head work (sand paper doesnt count) A few miles later they go on an computer to rage about the quality of the gasket
                      Very good point. Didn't even think of that!
                      clutchCTRL!
                      Move with a purpose.
                      - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                      - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                      - 2000 323i AT
                      2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

                      Comment


                        Elring for me, personal preference.

                        28+ PSI on my 2.0L turbo for years, never a problem.
                        '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

                        Comment


                          AMERICAN PUMPFUCKERS baybee!

                          Comment


                            My boss told me they try to stick with Elring VC gaskets in the PRO 3 cars. He said he wouldn't hesitate to use a VR in a pinch but there is much more piece of mind with the Elring ones. Havn't had as many problems with them! Sounds like it all depends on everyones personal preference. Personal experience with either or seems to be the kicker.
                            clutchCTRL!
                            Move with a purpose.
                            - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                            - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                            - 2000 323i AT
                            2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                              Ok the sealant goes a different way and the rings look a lil smaller

                              So #1 VR #2 Goat #3 OEM?
                              Close, #1 VR, #2 Elring #3 Goetze.

                              The rings all look similar and that hasnt really been the issue that people have been having, its around the coolant and oil passages that fail. Im sure thats whats happening with mine.

                              Personally looking the gaskets I think I would be happy with either Elring or Goetze. I ordered a Goetze and Im happy with my purchase. Cant wait to put it all back together.

                              Originally posted by DÌEGØ View Post
                              Just by looking at them I'd pick the one on the right. Because it "looks" better made. I would try to avoid the one on the left.

                              My Goetze HG looked like the one on the right so I'm gessing you meant Goetze on the RIGHT??

                              yes the Goetze is ont he right, fixed the hidden answer key lol

                              Originally posted by Red46 View Post
                              When I put that 2.7i together (now Simon's) I came across some people talking about VR head gaskets failing. I dismissed it as "internet hype"....one person says they don't like it and it immediately becomes "internet FACT". I put the engine together with the VR head gasket. After a few weeks I got curious about it and did some more research and it does seem like a somewhat common problem. But you'll also find the people that have a "million" miles on a VR.....so who do you believe? Is it bad quality control, some fine some crap?

                              For me it's Goetze from now on though. Call it what ever you want....superstition, playing it safe....I don't know. I do know I feel bad for Simon though.

                              Ben, I initially wanted to do the same and just dismiss it, but the more I read the less I became comfortable with putting another VR gasket on there. Dont feel bad, I love this car.
                              Last edited by 2mAn; 01-25-2013, 05:33 PM.
                              Simon
                              Current Car:
                              -2000 330i Estate, the dad-mobile
                              -1975 Alfa Romeo Giulia Nuova Super 1300, the never-ending name & project



                              Make R3V Great Again -2020

                              Comment


                                http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/3569464284.html


                                Anyone's car on here
                                Originally posted by bmwm42
                                PNW vulture pm me for parts
                                Strategic nw e30 command

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X