No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's 25 years in OR to apply for SP plates. I will be doing this next year.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
      It's 25 years in OR to apply for SP plates. I will be doing this next year.
      I wish my car was in good enough condition to even request SP plates from the DMV without smirking. Just got the 'Share the Road' plates instead.

Comment

That doesn't matter, Gerard. All that matters is that you show that the car is an occasional driver and that you belong to some sort of car "club" (anything from this forum to BMW CCA).

Comment

Originally posted by Mlarsen View Post
          What the hell, I thought in WA state if a car is 25 years or older it qualifies for collector plates? I just went renew my plates and they're now saying it's 30 years. Has it always been 30 years and I'm just dumb?
          I'm pretty sure it's been 30 years for collector plates for at least the past few years.
          1988 BMW 325iX - Lachssilber/Cardinal - Gone
          2001 BMW M5 - Anthracite/Black Heritage
          1999 Toyota 4Runner - White/Oak

Comment

woot! super productive weekend! got my e28 back together, and the new trans seal are not weeping at all, like I had feared! :) loving my new exhaust, super easy to remove and install by myself.

Brothers e28 I taught him how to use the jack + stands, etc. and together we flushed his coolant replaced the thermostat.

Anybody else give their cars some TLC this weekend?

Comment

Put my s50 on the stand and got it ready to be resealed. The rest of my parts will be here this week. Hopefully ready for the weekend.

Comment

Nice! My s50 is on the stand too awaiting the same treatment, but I need new rod bearings as well (cylinder #1 has more play than Id like)

cheers

Comment

Drove my car up a twisty road.

Parked at Burger King during saturday night car meet, nobody even talked to me, arlington car crowd When I bring my truck they won't leave me alone
                  -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                  08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                  318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                  '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                  Originally posted by roguetoaster
                  Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

They were all jelly my man, also you need to help me with my morimotos, my cutoff is so bad, and it seems unfixable.
                    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                    willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                      They were all jelly my man, also you need to help me with my morimotos, my cutoff is so bad, and it seems unfixable.
                      I think its just that they're all old dudes that love "muscle" cars Yup, gotta love carbs that make fuel come out the exhaust at idle.

I just read your journal post about the morimotos... I have to think its the bulbs being off somehow? Mine literally worked awesome plugging them in... I know projectors are sensitive to the bulb being installed correctly. Are they the xb35 whatever or the other ones on the site?

Also in your pic here

THe cutoff is yellow and nasty looking because you're like 10 ft from the wall. Mine look the same really close to things. Cutoffs don't get beautiful for 30+ ft. SO don't fire them up in the house and point them at something really close and say they suck, bc they need probably 50 ft to look great...
                      -Christian

Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

I noticed too on my euro smileys that my cutoffs had similar discoloration/rainbow that I attributed to small amounts of oil, likely from my fingers

Are you wearing gloves when you install the bulbs, or wipe them down with alcohol?

Comment

It's a prismatic affect, not oils.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                            I noticed too on my euro smileys that my cutoffs had similar discoloration/rainbow that I attributed to small amounts of oil, likely from my fingers

Are you wearing gloves when you install the bulbs, or wipe them down with alcohol?
                            Originally posted by MPLFoster View Post
                            It's a prismatic effect, not oils.
                            Yes, it is prismatic. The color can be tuned by bending the shield inside. To get the beautiful blue at 30+ ft IIRC you set the shield so its fairly sharp at 25ft. Closer and it will be yellowish, but as the distances increase the color band gets bigger and better. I had my euro smileys tuned so that they had a very nice blue band but they weren't very bright at all. They looked good, but the actual performance of light ->street sucked... I didn't really like the ___/ ___/ cut off anyway.
                            My current set up blows the crap out of stock euro projectors, and still look stock on the outside...

Uhhh, I don't wear gloves while handling the bulbs, but I only ever touch teh bases and am VERY careful not to touch the glass parts...
                            Last edited by DER E30; 04-12-2015, 06:23 PM.
                            -Christian

Comment

See, fairly yellow at the cutoff, This is at 5ft 7 inches to be fairly precise. The lower pic is with the fogs on but whatever, that doesn't really effect the cutoff.

Yes, both of those are processed to try to make it look somewhat like it did in person but this looks lame compared to what it does to the street in the dark...

All of those bulbs are 5k morimoto bulbs, the h1 bulbs look like a nice match but my fogs don't match, and I gave up on trying to get them to match after 1 replacement...

I'll try to get some nice shots outside tomorrow night that do it justice.
                              Last edited by DER E30; 04-13-2015, 08:55 AM.
                              -Christian

Comment

awesome lighting I am very jealous.

Comment

Working...
                                X