PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PNWDan View Post
    Well I wouldn't consider an LS3 a small V8 lol. I know you get great milage in yours too. I just wouldn't want to drive an M30 120 miles daily
    My understanding actually is that all of the ls blocks are smaller than old Chevy 350 small blocks, oddly enough.

I also thought that the e30 motors were about as efficient as they got until modern ones. E36 ones pull more horses and mpgs?
    Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
    2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
    2010 Buell XB9SX
    2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
    1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
    1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
    1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
    2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
    2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
      My understanding actually is that all of the ls blocks are smaller than old Chevy 350 small blocks, oddly enough
      If I remember right the LS motors have a shorter stroke and deck height but I think with the heads they are taller. I was referring to something like the m60 and so on. They are huge with their DOHC design but heavy and small displacement. The HP gain is a wash for the weight and pain of shoe horning one in.

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Like the PNW E30 Local Crew Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
        My understanding actually is that all of the ls blocks are smaller than old Chevy 350 small blocks, oddly enough.
        Small block chevs (Gen1 vs Gen3+) are close enough in dimension that it makes no outward difference (obviously aside from mounting points/accessories). They're typically shorter overall since the plastic gen3+ intake is much smaller than almost every gen1 intake.
        84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
        Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by PNWDan View Post
          If I remember right the LS motors have a shorter stroke and deck height but I think with the heads they are taller. I was referring to something like the m60 and so on. They are huge with their DOHC design but heavy and small displacement. The HP gain is a wash for the weight and pain of shoe horning one in.
          This. Why bother with BMW V8s when there is a much 'better' alternitave :)

( LSx fanboy over here)

Bahama Beige E23 Project
          Bluebird Bus Conversion
          New Oregon Trail

Comment

Does anyone know where to buy or find small K&N style filters? I want to put one on the nipple of the charcoal canister and cant seem to find any via the googles......someone help me out please!!!

-Kevin

nvm found them
            Last edited by KEVORM; 07-16-2012, 06:33 PM.
            84' 325i -> PRO3 #304
            Powered by Manntechnik
            Work in Progress Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyHenriksen View Post
              This. Why bother with BMW V8s when there is a much 'better' alternitave :)

( LSx fanboy over here)
              I agree. If it were something I could do quick with little moneys it would be done. Probably in the future for sure considering my dad works for GM and there are deals to be had.

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Like the PNW E30 Local Crew Facebook page

Comment

Im probably going to do a M50 swap myself. 200whp for a reasonable price and no motorsport tax? sign me up
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Hey guys,
                  Looking for a oil pressure relief valve on the M20, part number: 11421271318

Hoping someone local has one I can pick up, or ship me.

Let me know if you have one!
                  Thanks
                  sigpic

Comment

Halsey Imports or DIP, bro.
                    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I think I have one Carlos. I'll look for it tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
                        Im probably going to do a M50 swap myself. 200whp for a reasonable price and no motorsport tax? sign me up
                        They are 189 at the crank. How would you get 200 to the wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by Keith M View Post
                          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

school is in session carry on keith
                            Originally posted by bmwm42
                            PNW vulture pm me for parts
                            Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by Keith M View Post
                              stock they are, yes. but add some simple goodies, like the S50/ shrick cam upgrade, larger MAF, bigger injectors and you should be close, and you've already got a LOT more power than you would out of an m20 with the same money invested and a LOT less than an s5x motor.

the way I see it, m50 motors are as cheap as m20 motors now. its a no brainer IMO.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

200whp is gonna be hard.

thats 230 crank ish

this isnt honda land, cams intake and injectors aint 50hp

Comment

Working...
                                X