No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's how most of the music streaming sites are set up since you can't do any significant DRM without flash. There is some hackery that can be done to hide file paths but as long as people don't want their content stolen (crazy idea, right?), Flash is going to be the defacto for playback/rendering engines while Javascript tied to HTML is the best way to maintain your data structures, page queries, DOM updates, and generally keep things moving along quickly.

/nerdingOut
    Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
    2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
    2010 Buell XB9SX
    2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
    1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
    1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
    1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
    2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
    2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Yea i understand the risk of music theft. I just wish they used something that would be more stable across different OS and browsers.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

You can thank Apple for that, if they had gone the Windows8 route of limiting instead of banning Flash, we'd have a cross-platform solution that every browser the world over could use.

But since Apple threw Adobe under the bus, now Android has dropped it and we have to use dedicated apps to do pretty primitive functions.
        Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
        2010 Buell XB9SX
        2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Android dropped adobe? It was my understanding adobe rejected Android. Or at least adobe was charging way to much for their software.
          willschnitz

Comment

Nope, with Android 4 or 4.1, the Goog said that they were done with flash and it wouldn't work in the future with their stuff. I think they used the transition to Chrome from the native "Android Browser" as the time to go plugin-less. Definitely a decision by the Goog. Also the same time that Adobe said that they would change to HTML5 tools since now there wasn't a single mobile device (Blackberry doesn't count) that was supporting them.
            Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
            2010 Buell XB9SX
            2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Im fine with not supporting Adobe, +1 to Google IMO. Adobe charges way to much and does so much bullshit when buying their products and even using them. I like Photoshop but Im glad im a student. 700$ photoshop is redic.
              willschnitz

Comment

I would never think of the two divisions in the same sentence, there is just too big a difference with a tool that's used primarily for playing back audio/video and the world's foremost photo editor, video editor, etc.

They've been killing it with the subscription model for the Creative Suite though.
                Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                2010 Buell XB9SX
                2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

I just think someone else needs to get an edge in the software game against adobe, most of the competitors are no where near the quality of adobe's creative software. I just dont understand the high prices.
                  willschnitz

Comment

It was the same way with Final Cut before they ruined it. It's niche software that does a TON of stuff and believe it or not, engineers are expensive. Strictly in terms of human costs there are probabably over a hundred engineers working on Photoshop and charging on average $120k per person to develop for it. Software isn't cheap to make and the fact that it's software that we all *want* and so many people *need* is a testament to its quality.

We're fine buying a $1,500 laptop ($2,500 if it's a mac) every few years to get work done but we complain about spending $500 or $700 on software that we'll use almost daily on that hardware and that actually lasts for much longer.

People whose livelihood depend on software like Photoshop don't typically complain about its cost since in the end it really is worth it. it's those of us that want to use it for funzies that have issues with it.
                    Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                    2010 Buell XB9SX
                    2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                      Im fine with not supporting Adobe, +1 to Google IMO. Adobe charges way to much and does so much bullshit when buying their products and even using them. I like Photoshop but Im glad im a student. 700$ photoshop is redic.
                      Well the good thing for you is that as of last week, Adobe released all of CS2 for free for anyone to use.

Comment

Yea your right there, If i could actually get into Photography as a Job it would be different, but unless I get money for some better equipment there is no way thats the route ill be able to take. I guess I cant complain about the software except for the fact that they don't have all the graphics cards in their approved list :/ I want to use the oil paints option damnit.
                        willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                          Well the good thing for you is that as of last week, Adobe released all of CS2 for free for anyone to use.
                          CS2 hahaha, I already bought CS6 for 200$ as a Student.
                          willschnitz

Comment

Well I figured that if you didn't like the retail price you didn't already have a copy.

Comment

Before

After
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

De-tinted? And does you seat belt not retract or something, looks like you have slammed your door on it 500 times.

Comment

Working...
                                X