PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
    Portland is insanely overpriced these days. It's turned into the new Seattle. Everywhere is being gentrified, thus driving the prices of homes/rent up 2-3x in some places. It's cheaper to buy a house, but anything worth a shit is gone in mere days (sometimes hours).

You'd be better suited out of Portland and probably better off in a surrounding area (Beaverton, Wilsonville, etc). I live in the city and the home I live in has appreciated $100k in the last 16 months alone...fucking insane.
    Wow. idk about that, it's the same reason I'm thinking of leaving LA. I've lived here all my life, but everywhere I turn theres a new "high-end" something; coffee, clothing, home goods, pet-shop, eatery, everything, if it exist people want to give you less and charge more.

Plus the fact that LA is just a huge concrete heat sink sucks.
    sigpic

Comment

^Portland is turning into Seattle because everyone else in California has the same mindset that you do. The most hated of them are the kids with trust funds lol. Ever watch the show portlandia? That show is just making fun of all the new people coming to Portland, not the Portland natives.
      Last edited by ahrensNW; 11-10-2015, 02:30 PM.
      Hank Ahrens
      1984 Alpine Coupe
      1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
        That show is just making fun of all the new people coming to Portland, not the Portland natives.

This.
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Even in the Portland suburbs, most houses are off the market in 24 hours. I bought my house ~ 2 years ago and there were 3 offers on in 12 hours, including mine, all over asking price.

I shared a 4 bedroom apartment ~5 years ago for $1200 total. The same apartment complex now rents 1 bedrooms for $1200.

The traffic out in Hillsboro and Beaverton has gotten horrendous and the roads weren't designed to handle it properly. Even the new lanes and roads added are designed poorly for traffic, IMO, when compared with a city like Sacramento.

Comment

Originally posted by 4tDX View Post
            Even in the Portland suburbs, most houses are off the market in 24 hours. I bought my house ~ 2 years ago and there were 3 offers on in 12 hours, including mine, all over asking price.

I shared a 4 bedroom apartment ~5 years ago for $1200 total. The same apartment complex now rents 1 bedrooms for $1200.

The traffic out in Hillsboro and Beaverton has gotten horrendous and the roads weren't designed to handle it properly. Even the new lanes and roads added are designed poorly for traffic, IMO, when compared with a city like Sacramento.
            South lake union in Seattle has seen a similar hike in rental prices as well... A 700sqft, 1 bedroom apt 2 years ago cost roughly $1,850. Now, in that same complex and layout, rent is over $3,500....

$35 fucking hundred dollars for a 1 bedroom apartment?

no wonder Seattle has called for a state of emergency for the homeless...shits ridiculous
            -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
            91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
            08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
            04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
            Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
            Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
              If it was fuel, you'd go lean Toes. So would probably get sputters and detonation/pinging. You would probably still be able to grab revs, albeit very slow.

If you are losing rev's abruptly I would have to agree to check anything that affects timing (cam sensor.)
              Im going to run the car around some more today and do a plug chop and go from there! also going to try and creep it up to redline, will report back.

its very hard to tell, but the low rpm misfiring is very similar to the feeling bad coilpacks on my nonvanos e34 (weak spark). the ignition system on this one is all new except for the plug wires, which do need replaced eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                South lake union in Seattle has seen a similar hike in rental prices as well... A 700sqft, 1 bedroom apt 2 years ago cost roughly $1,850. Now, in that same complex and layout, rent is over $3,500....

no wonder Seattle has called for a state of emergency for the homeless...shits ridiculous
                Yeah, that is absurd. I have a friend that lives/works in San Francisco and spends ~70% of his post tax income on rent and that is with him sharing a place with his wife and two other people. Last quote I got from him was about what you said - $3-$4k for a run down 1 bedroom/flat. I think his current 3 bedroom place is in the $6500 range.

Comment

Okay, got everything for my S50 swap but a still looking for an stock m3/328 odb2 mid-pipe: exhaust and silencer. Any leads?

All the junk yards I've been to have to cut their cats out.

Comment

Okay, got everything for my S50 swap but a still looking for an stock m3/328 odb2 mid-pipe: exhaust and silencer. Any leads?

All the junk yards I've been to have to cut their cats out.
                    U-pull it in Yakima has a 328 with an exhaust system still on it.
                    Hank Ahrens
                    1984 Alpine Coupe
                    1978 911sc

Comment

Yeah, that is absurd. I have a friend that lives/works in San Francisco and spends ~70% of his post tax income on rent and that is with him sharing a place with his wife and two other people. Last quote I got from him was about what you said - $3-$4k for a run down 1 bedroom/flat. I think his current 3 bedroom place is in the $6500 range.
                      Ya that shit is absolutely ludicrous time to buy a house and say fuck the bullshit.

very niceeee
                      -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                      91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                      08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                      04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                      Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                      Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

plug chopped the m42 after a good long drive. all the plugs show a lean running condition that is even across all cylinders. AFM or FPR what do y'all think? - I am waiting on my fuel pressure tester in the mail otherwise Id report back with fuel numbers as well. leaning more towards AFM
                        Last edited by 5Toes; 11-10-2015, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
                          ^Portland is turning into Seattle because everyone else in California has the same mindset that you do. The most hated of them are the kids with trust funds lol. Ever watch the show portlandia? That show is just making gun of all the new people coming to Portland, not the Portland natives.
                          UGH. That's terrible, never seen Portlandia but I understand what you're trying to say.

Years ago a one bedroom 900sq.ft apartment was running 650$ now i find myself paying 2100 for a 600sq.ft one bedroom. I'm not necessarily drawn to anywhere in specific, but something that's not as hectic of a lifestyle anymore, and if that's where Portlands heading then I'll re-consider.

It's definitely time to buy a house, for me the question is wether to stay in Socal or buy elsewhere.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post

Jesus H. Fuck. How the fuck is anyone supposed to be able to afford that? Complete bullshit.
                            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CoB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	7180943

Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvck View Post
                                It's definitely time to buy a house, for me the question is wether to stay in Socal or buy elsewhere.

..that's the game.

Are you buying a house to live in, or are you buying one for an investment. Or both?

How much are you willing to invest in it; not just money, but also time, and sometimes patience.

We got lucky because we got in to our house before all the hipster/Portlandia stuff got big (2004.) The neighborhood was still in transition, bars on windows, neighbors grandmother trying to sell us fake purses while the mobile meth lab (an abandon RV) in their driveway was as busy Grand Central Station..

We waited it out, and eventually the bad elements either sold, died or crossed paths with the city/law one too many times. Even when the market took a dump in 2008, our house was worth 100k more than we bought it for..

Originally, it was just going to be 5 years, then 10, and now we have established some good roots in this neighborhood, and will probably be here for while longer.

This is also why it's important to find a good realtor. Those that have been around and know the history of the neighborhood/areas can help you find that hidden gem.
                                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                                2016 Ford Flex
                                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Working...
                                X