PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrJosh View Post
    You guy don't like a single new car? Not a single one? Why? How? There is literally something for everyone.
    I just don't see the point? Hell I sold my Nissan Xterra 6 speed and bought a 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2

Sold the Xterra $10,500 and bought the Discovery for $3700, and as much shit as Land Rovers get it is a better SUV in almost every way.

More capable off road
    MUCH more comfortable
    Cheap as ever to repair
    Easy to work on

Sure its not as fast, but after a friend of mine is about to go through a timing chain / tensioner replacement thanks to Nissans inability to design a tensioner worth a damn.

I don't mind new cars, however I don't see the point in paying that much for one. I've done it once before (My Nissan I bought new), but the entire time owning it I always thought about what I could of had instead.

$20,000 - $40,000 of new car money can buy you one HELL of a nice used car, no matter what.

The trick is, you need to love to work on things, I do, which makes the decision easy.

If you don't like working on things, go get half the car for your dollar so you don't need to touch it.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJosh View Post
      Jesus I know. Those new cars in the 80s have nothing to do with driving anymore. Damn power disc brakes, power locks, power windows, dimming Interior lights, synchronized gears, fuel injection, starter motors, seat belts, on board computers, FM radio, reclining seats, and air conditioning. They are nothing like the cars of my time with our hand cranks.

The tool kits in the E30s are just as useless as the new tool kits. And the E30 is all about style. It was a yuppie mobile of the finest. Your argue holds no water. Newer cars are more efficient, faster, and handle just as well if not better.
      This.

The reason why I love my e30 is because it has a sense of vintage, while still being pretty modern for its age. But, I can't think of how many times I'd rather drive my ladies brand new Mazda 3 to the store, rather then getting into the swapped car...it's comfy, easy to drive and gets better mpg.

BUT there's nothing like it after not driving your e30 for a while, and hopping back in. :up:
      -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
      91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
      08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
      04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
      Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
      Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by james crivellone View Post
        if you don't like working on things, go get half the car for your dollar so you don't need to touch it.
        qft, but seriously stop talking about land rovers! Wanting to get gf sell her Tahoe and get one

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
          BUT there's nothing like it after not driving your e30 for a while, and hopping back in. :up:
          Could not agree more. Every morning I see Simon and my e30 nose to nose and then cry as I hop on the bus.
          Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
          2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
          2010 Buell XB9SX
          2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
          1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
          1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
          1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
          2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
          2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
            Could not agree more. Every morning I see Simon and my e30 nose to nose and then cry as I hop on the bus.
            Lmao!
            -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
            91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
            08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
            04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
            Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
            Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
              I just don't see the point? Hell I sold my Nissan Xterra 6 speed and bought a 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2

Sold the Xterra $10,500 and bought the Discovery for $3700, and as much shit as Land Rovers get it is a better SUV in almost every way.

More capable off road
              MUCH more comfortable
              Cheap as ever to repair
              Easy to work on

Sure its not as fast, but after a friend of mine is about to go through a timing chain / tensioner replacement thanks to Nissans inability to design a tensioner worth a damn.

I don't mind new cars, however I don't see the point in paying that much for one. I've done it once before (My Nissan I bought new), but the entire time owning it I always thought about what I could of had instead.

$20,000 - $40,000 of new car money can buy you one HELL of a nice used car, no matter what.

The trick is, you need to love to work on things, I do, which makes the decision easy.

If you don't like working on things, go get half the car for your dollar so you don't need to touch it.
              I think he meant liking modern car designs, not a question of if someone will actually go out and spend the money to buy a new car.

You can like a new car and wait a few years for the depreciation curve to be much friendlier.

My Z3MCoupe hasn't depreciated since I bought it :-D

Comment

I'd rather push my E30 than drive a Prius

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                  I'd rather push my E30 than drive a Prius
                  THISSSS! well said
                  The Current Army
                  -(UnderConstruction) 1991 330iS 24v S52 build thread
                  -1992 325iC
                  -1987 E30 Truck
                  -1991 332iS (BecauseRacecar)
                  -1988 Dinan M3
                  -1988 325iX Tribute car
                  -1989 320i Touring (S52/6spd)

Comment

How many of you guys have actually driven a prius?

Comment

Originally posted by Mlarsen View Post
                      I have. They drive fine.

can anyone be reasonable and say "I'd prefer an enthusiast's car but would settle for an appliance-like one if need be?"

or would that be too non-internety?
                      Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                      2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
                      2010 Buell XB9SX
                      2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
                      1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
                      1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
                      1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
                      2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
                      2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

This has nothing to do with money. Of course you can get a 13 years old car for less than a new car.

Just because you buy a new car doesn't mean you don't like to work on it. I enjoy doing modifications, not maintenance. Doing wheel bearings, changing gaskets, and doing timing belts couldn't be less fun. Not to mention you have a fresh and clean chassis to work on and not someones dirty and beat pile.
                        Originally posted by Sonny
                        I am a meme for our community.

Comment

How many of you have been stuck behind a Prius going 5 under in the left lane?

Comment

That's driver error not, mechanical.

Comment

I have! Its like playing a MPG video game

lol its usually a prius or a subaru

Comment

I wouldn't mind a c7 Corvette.
                                Alpinewhite 318i

Comment

Working...
                                X