PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
    Living anywhere but on/near campus will completely remove you from the college experience and environment that is a once-in-a-lifetime experience
    Meh, I've lived away from UW the whole time and I could care less if I didn't get the dorm life or that greek nonsense..

91 Alpinweiss2 318is OBD2 S52

Comment

Originally posted by Silvertip View Post
      PM'ed
      got it, thanks!

I went to UW as well, graduated about 2 years ago. If you're coming to Seattle from out of state (or just out of city), the question isn't what's the best place to live, it's "do you know any good places to live in the uDistrict?"

Living anywhere but on/near campus will completely remove you from the college experience and environment that is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Start in the dorms if you can and branch out from there. But definitely, definitely, definitely live in the uDistrict for at least a year or two if you're going to UW.
      this is my biggest issue, i want to be in the udisctrict preferrably and was considering just dorming my first year or so that way i can meet people and whatnot. i want to be able to walk places and have my car parked most of the time, in a parking space.

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
      my feedback thread

Comment

Originally posted by ClausE30 View Post
        Meh, I've lived away from UW the whole time and I could care less if I didn't get the dorm life or that greek nonsense..
        living near campus doesn't have anything to do with going Greek or the dorms, it is about community and shared social experience. The college experience as a whole is such a unique part of ones' life that really cant be replicated at another part of life.
        Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
        2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
        2010 Buell XB9SX
        2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
        1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
        1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
        1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
        2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
        2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

living near campus doesn't have anything to do with going Greek or the dorms, it is about community and shared social experience. The college experience as a whole is such a unique part of ones' life that really cant be replicated at another part of life.
          I agree a bit, but I don't believe that one loses that experience if you don't live nearby.. I couldn't afford to live around campus and I didn't let that ruin my college experience. Had many good times with people I met throughout college

Edit: if you can afford to live near uw, do it as it will be easier to stumble home drunk at night.. Haha..

Comment

Originally posted by ClausE30 View Post
            I agree a bit, but I don't believe that one loses that experience if you don't live nearby.. I couldn't afford to live around campus and I didn't let that ruin my college experience. Had many good times with people I met throughout college
            ruin is strong, it's just different. Being at the mercy of parking, busses, etc to do anything on campus is a pain. The intrinsic distance from campus separates you from a lot of stuff outside of class. There are a lot of opportunities to live one place and commute to your daytime life. How many times do you get to share something as unique as the student life with 20,000 people who are all doing the same thing within 15 blocks of you?
            Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
            2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
            2010 Buell XB9SX
            2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
            1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
            1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
            1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
            2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
            2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

I guess for my circumstance, it was either be in debt or not. I assume the guy looking at uw out of state doesn't have this issue; live around campus, just know that parking Is a nightmare if you intend on having your car nearby

Comment

budget is still somewhat a concern for me, however i will be pulling out loans. i'm well aware of parking issues around campus' so i'm hoping to get a place with a parking spot. plus, i'll be doing more walking than driving, which is complete opposite of what i'm doing now.

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
                my feedback thread

Comment

Living in the udistrict and going to school is fine, but paying for parking for a car you will rarely (need to) use just seems too much of a financial burden. Not to mention the roads suck and parking enforcement is retarded. I mean you get a free bus pass, why not use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                    Rode in Alex (e30rooster's) car today. Holy fuck. That thing is incredible. Literally a fire breathing M20...and holy shit, is it loud!!!
                    Luuuucky!
                    He keeps driving by my house and I heeeelluh want a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by AustinK425 View Post
                      Living in the udistrict and going to school is fine, but paying for parking for a car you will rarely (need to) use just seems too much of a financial burden. Not to mention the roads suck and parking enforcement is retarded. I mean you get a free bus pass, why not use it.
                      well it's either leave it on the street here in front of my folks house, or take it with me and try and get a garage/spot for it. we'll see how my first year goes i guess.

my feedback thread

Comment

I think those that have already experienced it, just told you how your first year was going to go. Sell the car, take out less of a loan, use the bus pass, study and party your ass off.

It's all optimistic thinking for you know, but those who graduate with the smallest amount of debt, wins. So, unless you have the unborrowed money in the bank, ditch as many unnecessary expenses as you can.

/old man talk

Comment

Living debt free is the key to success. Period

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                          Bluebird Bus Conversion
                          New Oregon Trail

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyHenriksen View Post
                            Word. My old man taught me early on, if you don't have the cash for it, you ain't buying it.
                            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                              Word. My old man taught me early on, if you don't have the cash for it, you ain't buying it.

Cash is KING!
                              The Current Army
                              -(UnderConstruction) 1991 330iS 24v S52 build thread
                              -1992 325iC
                              -1987 E30 Truck
                              -1991 332iS (BecauseRacecar)
                              -1988 Dinan M3
                              -1988 325iX Tribute car
                              -1989 320i Touring (S52/6spd)

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyHenriksen View Post
                                Agree 100%.

Comment

Working...