Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheRealE30kidd View Post
    Cash is KING!
    Cash is for CL, drug dealers and hookers.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
      My old man taught me early on
      Ditto

Bahama Beige E23 Project
      Bluebird Bus Conversion
      New Oregon Trail

Comment

If you are financing your entire education then selling the E30 isn't even going to make a dent. And when you need a car after school you most likely wont be able to afford one for awhile due to the debt. I'd say keep it.
        Originally posted by Sonny
        I am a meme for our community.

Comment

I came from AZ and with two years out of state and two years in state I probably have over 60k in combined debt. What's $3k for an e30 at the end of the day?

Your first year of college (and most of the others) you won't use your car. Seattle is so walking/bus friendly that you literally just won't use it. I'd leave it at home and forget about it. That said, you can find an apartment with parking for 700-800/month in the uDistrict or rent a room with a parking space for 500+.

I fought hard when I moved up here to have a car, tooth and nail, threw everything I had at it and my first two years there were maybe a dozen times total that I even sat in one. Going from driving 40+ miles/day to zero was a total non-issue. Seattle having so many car-sharing services these days also changes everything.

You could also always dorm-park your car for like $150/month or there are a ton of places in the uDistrict that will just rent you a spot for $50/month. Realistically though, you'll regret bringing it if you do just because you'll never ever use it.

And you'll be the one guy with a car. And everyone wants to be his friend.
          Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
          2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
          2010 Buell XB9SX
          2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
          1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
          1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
          1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
          2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
          2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

That is the first genuinely attractive plastic engine cover I've seen in a long time. Evidently the new CTS is getting a 420hp twin turbo V6 in the next CTS. Interesting....
            Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
            2010 Buell XB9SX
            2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyHenriksen View Post
              Living debt free is the key to success. Period
              Seriously, I'm so sick of having a student loan. If I didn't have it I would much more well sorted e30.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post

That is the first genuinely attractive plastic engine cover I've seen in a long time. Evidently the new CTS is getting a 420hp twin turbo V6 in the next CTS. Interesting....
                Is this the base engine? A step between the standard v6 and the LSA? A replacement for the LSA?

I wonder if this will end up in the ATS? :)
                84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
                  Living anywhere but on/near campus will completely remove you from the college experience and environment that is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Start in the dorms if you can and branch out from there. But definitely, definitely, definitely live in the uDistrict for at least a year or two if you're going to UW.

Agreed. My freshman & sophomore years at UW were spent in the dorms, best two years of my life hands-down. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Live on campus or do the frat thing, whichever works best for you. But either way, enjoy the atmosphere and the experience.
                  '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Originally posted by iansane View Post
                    Is this the base engine? A step between the standard v6 and the LSA? A replacement for the LSA?

I wonder if this will end up in the ATS? :)
                    I could see it being the ATS-V engine instead of the LS3/LT1/LSA but all of the HiPo motors in the LS series will likely start moving to the LT base.
                    Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                    2010 Buell XB9SX
                    2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Comment

Anyone know the differences between ETA and I starters? I think the one on the red car took a shit and have an almost new ETA starter off my M20 out of the white car. Was curious to see the differences between the two.
                        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                          Anyone know the differences between ETA and I starters? I think the one on the red car took a shit and have an almost new ETA starter off my M20 out of the white car. Was curious to see the differences between the two.
                          Different # of teeth I believe

Comment

Goddamn it. Guess I'll go buy a new one.
                            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I have heard that some flywheels may not come with this piece, but the one from the M20 is the same thickness. You will have to grind out the center bore though so it can fit on the crankshaft.

One thing to note is that I had to enlarge one of the holes so that it would fit over the flywheel locating pin. As you will notice, the spacer has a large center bore so it is fairly difficult to get the bolts in place properly. Since neither the part from the M42 or the M20 really work so well, I'm thinking about making up some of my own spacers that would be a direct bolt in piece and of the proper thickness (the spacers are about 1mm too thick).

Bolt the flywheel on using stock M20 325i flywheel bolts which are 25mm long. Do NOT use the M20 pacer ring on the front like the factory flywheel had. To install this piece you will need bolts that are 3mm longer. If anyone knows of a bolt approximately 30mm long please let me know.

This part is one that most people find confusing. The M20 starter seemed to have enough room to bolt in physically, but the engagement depth of the bendix gear was different than the M42 starter. Also, I really liked having the threaded casting on the M42 starter and its much smaller/lighter...so I just went with that.

The first thing you need to do is split the case:

Remove the bendix gear section from the starter. If you remove the solenoid you can easily pull out the yoke, but you don't have to. My bolts were all funked up and I could not remove them with an impact hammer so I just spread the yoke and pulled the full bendix assembly out.

The assembly I refer to looks like this, the bendix section is the part with the spring, retainer and actual gear that slides up and down on the shaft:

Other guides will tell you just to switch the M20 section with the M42 section. From my measuring this is incorrect. The M20 section is much taller and the bendix gear will not fully retract into the starter housing. i decided to split the large retainer ring with a grinding wheel to remove the actual bendix gear itself and switch them. I then welded the casing back up and ground it flush.

You can see what I did here:

To remove the bendix gear assembly from the shaft you need to push down (toward the gear) on the ring toward the end. Inside that is a circlip and once that is removed you can separate the gear assembly from the shaft.

Everything should line up nicely now! A nice cheap and easy upgrade!

Hopefully that helps answer some questions about this swap. I couldn't find any detailed information anywhere, but maybe I missed it.
                              Looks like you can tear them apart and swap the parts out. I am aware this isn't 100% relevant but hopefully the images give you an idea

Comment

Well that was fun...

An e46 m3 literally pulled off onto the shoulder the moment he saw me join the freeway. He joined back on as soon as I was a pretty close distance to him.

As soon as i got next to him, he proceeded to drop a gear and pull on me...the look on his face when I immediately pulled right back next to him was classic!

Gotta love the value of a sleeper! Lol
                                -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                                91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                                08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                                04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                                Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                                Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Working...
                                X