No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me too man. Gonna try to keep it classic though. Don't need anything too fast. Still don't completely trust myself with a motorcycle between my legs. Just need to find out for myself I suppose. Maybe next summer..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    clutchCTRL!
    Move with a purpose.
    - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
    - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
    - 2000 323i AT
    2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
      If you ever wanted to spend a few grand a year on maintenance, that would certainly be a way to do it.
      Joel - Really? A couple of grand on maintenance? Explain yourself. Realize I know nothing about bikes - so go easy on me.
      Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

That's if you have to bring it to a shop to get the work done I'm thinking. Labor can add up quick!

I'd be doing all the work on an older bike myself. Save the dough and learn something new.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
        clutchCTRL!
        Move with a purpose.
        - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
        - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
        - 2000 323i AT
        2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

A wiser BMW guy once said to me "You make enough money to get the work done and you dont have time with all your commitments." Personally, I'd do just what you described and learn something new. Been thinking of getting bikes for my wife and I in the near future. I love the old BMW's but honestly I've been leaning towards getting a cheap japanese bike simply because I'd be a completely novice rider.
          Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
            A wiser BMW guy once said to me "You make enough money to get the work done and you dont have time with all your commitments." Personally, I'd do just what you described and learn something new. Been thinking of getting bikes for my wife and I in the near future. I love the old BMW's but honestly I've been leaning towards getting a cheap japanese bike simply because I'd be a completely novice rider.
            A benefit of the japanese is it doesnt have the odd looking piston angle that the BMWs have, I always felt it would be awkward with them sticking out the side. I know it has to do with driveshaft driven but still, you would think they could do a sideways v shape or something.
            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
            willschnitz

Comment

Started sanding my car today, I didn't realize how horrible it really is. I think I need a new hood

Comment

Just registered for SEMA 2013. Now to figure out lodging and airfare. I wish I was wealthy enough to afford to pay $10k to take the Hawker or CitationJet down.
                1989 325iC Zinnoberrot

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
                  Joel - Really? A couple of grand on maintenance? Explain yourself. Realize I know nothing about bikes - so go easy on me.
                  Part of that is based on having someone else do work, but the greater issue is parts availability. Especially on motorcycles, things aren't made to last, an average bike up until the 90s lasts for 20kish with regular maintenance (including having to rebuild carbs, rusty gas tanks, switches having issues, all sorts of stuff that cars run into much less often), before getting larger issues. The combination of the bikes being fully exposed if not while riding, while in "storage," causes everything to wear much faster and they never put the effort that they do into cars in making these things last for the duration.

The combination of bikes of that vintage being far more popular lately and the general low supply overall makes them very expensive to maintain. There are a surprising amount of old CB350/CB450/CB550s around, but even with a decent supply, finding a complete one or completing one and then keeping it alive when you're ready to use it becomes an expensive labor (of love). It's one reason that I like my CT90s, every piece is still available new since they sell them to the Australian post office.
                  Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                  2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
                  2010 Buell XB9SX
                  2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
                  1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
                  1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
                  1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
                  2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
                  2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Hell of a day.

Buy my few e30 parts I have lying around.

sigpic

Comment

So my m42 oilpan has a ton of spiderweblike cracks on it, no like oil seeping cracks, just a bunch of like surface cracks on it. Is this common/ok? I don't want to send it to someone broken...
                      willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                        So my m42 oilpan has a ton of spiderweblike cracks on it, no like oil seeping cracks, just a bunch of like surface cracks on it. Is this common/ok? I don't want to send it to someone broken...

Like that? Norm.
                        84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                        Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Exactly, thanks, I just want to make sure I don't send bad parts. I have never actually changed one before so I wasn't familiar with the cracking.
                          willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by iansane View Post

Like that? Norm.
                            Those are casting marks

Comment

Looks normal to me. My last e30 had them. No issues

sigpic

Comment

16" style 5's for $250.. Today was a good day

Comment

Working...
                                X