X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got in on the passat game too.
    Wife loves it for her daily commute.
    sigpic
    Currently without an e30. Will probably die soon.

Comment

America's Tire actually uses torque wrenches. I've watched them. Gotta watch out for hacks and remember, if the engine blows up...it sucks. If a wheel falls off, it's dangerous.
      sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Originally posted by ajhostetter View Post
        America's Tire actually uses torque wrenches. I've watched them. Gotta watch out for hacks and remember, if the engine blows up...it sucks. If a wheel falls off, it's dangerous.
        Discount tire near my house does too, impact to 70lbs and then torque wrench to cars specs.
        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
        willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
          Yikes, that's rough. What'd you pay? And what'd you think about the new top?

The top is a good quality German top. Ez-On. Top looks great but doesn't have a zip in rear window. I replaced the tensioners and straps too. Little under a grand for all of it I think. Rich's wanted 1500 + tax.
          Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
            Discount tire near my house does too, impact to 70lbs and then torque wrench to cars specs.
            Discount/America's = Same Company
            sigpic

Comment

No idea why someone would risk reinstalling lug bolts/nuts with an impact.. Do it by hand than hit with torque wrench. Impacting it on is asking to strip it.

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                No idea why someone would risk reinstalling lug bolts/nuts with an impact.. Do it by hand than hit with torque wrench. Impacting it on is asking to strip it.
                b/c impact set to 70 lbs is low risk and easy. Hand turning 300+ lug nuts/bolts per day is asking for tendonitis.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ajhostetter View Post
                  b/c impact set to 70 lbs is low risk and easy. Hand turning 300+ lug nuts/bolts per day is asking for tendonitis.
                  Its gotta be even worse for cars that dont have studs like E30s, Here just hold this wheel up and thread the nut.
                  1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                  willschnitz

Comment

I don't trust any of those tire shops with my cars. I'd rather do it all myself.

It'd be a different story if I didn't have access to everything I need to get the job done myself. Heard/Seen way too many "bad" things out of places like Schwab, Jiffy Lube, ETC.
                    clutchCTRL!
                    Move with a purpose.
                    - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                    - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                    - 2000 323i AT
                    2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

I love my air tools but more often then not i'm worried about them breaking/stripping shit. Usually i'm getting down with my hand tools!

Whats' the general consensus here?
                      clutchCTRL!
                      Move with a purpose.
                      - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                      - 2000 323i AT
                      2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Air tools all day long, just dont use an impact on it.
                        An air ratchet is ideal imo, 35-40 ft/lbs of torque isnt going to hurt barely anything, personally I havent stripped anything using one yet, and then simply torque to spec on essential items.

Comment

There ya go!

I dont' have a nice air ratchet yet but when I do, i'm sure i'll feel the same way!

Been so envious of the people that have E30 Vert's currently. Fuck, must be nice.
                          clutchCTRL!
                          Move with a purpose.
                          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                          - 2000 323i AT
                          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Verts just don't do it for me. Plus I'm so white I get burnt by the Moon.

Comment

I use air for everything. It's not hard to have trigger discipline.
                              m106 1990 e30
                              e36 daily
                              e32 cruiser

Comment

Agreed. 2-5 quick zaps depending on the task. quick trigger fingers ftw.

Originally posted by Rennsport View Post
                                I use air for everything. It's not hard to have trigger discipline.

Comment

Working...
                                X