No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasoline engines have never been the *right* way to make a car, only the most easily adoptable given the technology of the time. In the early 1900s there were more EV companies than gasoline ones but the batteries were just god awful and gasoline infrastructure was better then electrical.

Absolutely zero question that electric vehicles are going to replace near-all other forms and possibly within our lifetimes. Batteries keep shrinking and EV motors are ~90% efficient, gasoline is ~30%.
    Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
    2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
    2010 Buell XB9SX
    2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
    1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
    1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
    1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
    2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
    2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Hopefully they dont fully outlaw ICE though, would be nice to pull out a classic ICE engine in the future and bomb around downtown seattle with a thunderous roar.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

emissions will always be a thing, but remember, consumers today don't give a shit about sound. BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, and even Ford (the new Mustang) fake sound effects through the speakers.

EVs are infinitely more fun to drive because of the torque, handle better because you can put the weight wherever you want (and are guaranteed to get lighter as batteries get better), they're better at literally everything. Put a speaker in one and it will feel like the best ICE you could possibly buy.

A Tesla Model S has ~17 moving parts, including an engine that has 1. the simplicity and performance is utterly terrifying and amazing. It's insane that nobody put money into batteries until this decade to make EVs work.
        Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
        2010 Buell XB9SX
        2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

No I definitely agree, but sometimes you want to enjoy old things right?
          willschnitz

Comment

That's what I'm saying though, if it is electric you can program a torque curve and output any audio you want. Make it an e30 or a model t. You will have zero idea what the difference is.
            Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
            2010 Buell XB9SX
            2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

cluster repair ~! cheap

would like to offer PNW people cluster repair , let me know what your problem is i can give you a quote , im not trying to rip people off ! just trying to help some people out , i have lots of extra parts and extra clusters . So this is NOT a 300$ fix im talking about replacing Gears , lights , circuit boards , speedo , gas and water temp gauges, which is cheap and im not looking for a million dollars for my time . if anyone is interested let me know im in the everett area ! :mrgreen:

Comment

Its not insane Joel, $$$$ buys a lot of regulation and all the Auto Manufacturers arent really big fans of having less parts to fix. They only make so much money on the sale of the vehicle, but the maintenance is big business. Why do you think things have gone backwards since the 80s. They made the cars TOO good, and started using excuses like "lighter materials" (plastic) to make cars "more efficient", but the reality is that cars only have gotten incrementially better, and THAT is only due to more regulation....

*stepping off my soapbox*
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Well if other companies have the same issues tesla did with initial Tesla S launch, they wont have issues finding parts to fix.
                  willschnitz

Comment

I must be out of touch with E30 values.

Looks like a $1000 max to me.
                    Custom Made Skid Plates For Sale.
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=111469
                    http://raceskids.com/

Comment

LMAO^ yeah that black e30 is not worth 4000$ .....wow ok/nice e30 must be worth 9000$

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                        Well if other companies have the same issues tesla did with initial Tesla S launch, they wont have issues finding parts to fix.
                        ICE requires a LOT more maintenance... and those issues are simply teething problems of a brand new manufactorer. And they are doing it, unlike Fisker
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          ICE requires a LOT more maintenance... and those issues are simply teething problems of a brand new manufactorer. And they are doing it, unlike Fisker
                          We both know that isn't why Fisker died.

1) They lost $30 million in cars in hurricane Sandy because their transporter dropped them off and their insurance coverage didn't cover hurricane while awaiting retransport. 320 cars gone.
                          2) Their battery manufacturer went bankrupt (later bought by Wanxiang).
                          3) They weren't building enough cars per month and lost their waffleswaffleswaffles loans (then were bought by.... Wanxiang).

They are buying all of the tooling from Valmet in Finland who did the actual assembly and going to start building in the old GM factory in Delaware that (wait for it....) Fisker bought before their loans dried up and they were spooling up for the smaller, cheaper Atlantic model.
                          Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                          2010 Buell XB9SX
                          2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

I really like the Teslas. My dad has the P85 model S it is amazing to drive. (currently using it as my daily right now while hes out of town ;D hehe) Love the torque curve and the instant power at any speed cause it only has one gear. Biggest thing that limits it right now is going on road trips. Because you have to stop for an hour to charge at the super stations. But once the infrastructure is in place and you can change batteries to speed up charging (like Musk is working on), I don't see why electric cars won't replace ICE.
                            sigpic
                            Project: 87' 325iS... 325iS
                            88 Alpine 325i
                            1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Originally posted by ejnight View Post
                              I must be out of touch with E30 values.

Looks like a $1000 max to me.
                              Well most people ask more as you know, but to flip it you need to pay as little as possible

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

I was talking about other issues Simon, the early teslas are having tons of software and electronic acsessories issues according to Edmund's. I don't necessarily think that's true across all of the cars but thankfully it looks like a lot of the issues Tesla solved with software updates.
                                willschnitz

Comment

Working...
                                X