No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

working on 2 cars today. trying to fix a misfire on my e30 that just immediately started happening this morning out of nowhere,
    she's been running perfect then all of a sudden it's misfiring. about to replace the spark plugs with new ones, the old ones are pretty burnt up.

then trying to finish rewiring the new rear hatch for the e83 x3 that i just purchased for dirt cheap.
    once i'm finished fixing it, i'll have a 2007 x3 w/ M-Package & Winter package, so it has the 3.0Si motor all for a hair less than $6200 :) :) :)
    It's actually a blast to drive, and it will be my new daily driver. since the e30 is a summer only car :)

how is everyone else doing?
    My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by e30josh View Post
      Is it only a warm issue or under load issue? M20 still?
      ya it's still an m20. and under load issue. idles just fine. and either warm or cold it's misfiring when going above 1500 rpms
      Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
      Sounds like a engine coolant temp sensor?
      i'll check that too i guess
      My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

just replaced spark plugs, gaps all perfect. still same issue.

just spoke to some friends and they think it may be my miller MAF going bad.

what do you guys think?
        My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

Sounds like it. Is the MAF itself an OE part from another car?
          84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
          Manual swap all the things!

Comment

I hung out with another type of nerd...

Comment

Originally posted by Twelvizm View Post
              I hung out with another type of nerd...

When they start setting rules for drone use I hope they require helmets for pilots/anyone underneath them. One guy with a battery that isn't secured and folks can have a real bad day.
              Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
              2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
              2010 Buell XB9SX
              2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
              1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
              1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
              1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
              2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
              2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                installed a new antenna mast today from antennamastsrus.com

For $20 shipped I was skeptical... but I installed it in 2 minutes and the finish quality is very good
                $30 for the whole thing. Guess I'm gonna try this out.
                sigpic

4 doors.. so much room for activities!

IG @bluebombr

Transaction Feedback:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

Comment

Originally posted by moreoff View Post
                  working on 2 cars today. trying to fix a misfire on my e30 that just immediately started happening this morning out of nowhere,
                  she's been running perfect then all of a sudden it's misfiring. about to replace the spark plugs with new ones, the old ones are pretty burnt up.

then trying to finish rewiring the new rear hatch for the e83 x3 that i just purchased for dirt cheap.
                  once i'm finished fixing it, i'll have a 2007 x3 w/ M-Package & Winter package, so it has the 3.0Si motor all for a hair less than $6200 :) :) :)
                  It's actually a blast to drive, and it will be my new daily driver. since the e30 is a summer only car :)

how is everyone else doing?
                  Nice pick up on that X3. That hatch install/harness routing go smoothly?

I stayed busy all weekend. Helped my girl's dad install a cat back exhaust on his Tacoma.. Also went for a cruise in his new 07 650i w/ 30k on it!

Also got my cooling system all figured out on the 02. Drive train is all bolted up. Next up is Fuel System, Wiring, Interior, etc. Really it never ends. Love knowing I don't plan ever getting rid of it, makes working on it fun... again. :p

Before:

After:

This project is like LEGOS. Lots of little fires that can be put out by just thinking outside of the box. Very refreshing after being obsessed with the E30 chassis for so long!

Also, got a new puppy, Mia about a month ago!

clutchCTRL!
                  Move with a purpose.
                  - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                  - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                  - 2000 323i AT
                  2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by iansane View Post
                    Sounds like it. Is the MAF itself an OE part from another car?
                    so i unplugged the MAF while the car was running.

RPMs shot up to 3k but was running smooth like butter.

Already ordered a new MAF since mine is missing the inside honeycomb stuff.

Hopes that's all it was. At least I changed my oil and got new spark plugs, car is ready for summer!
                    My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                      Nice pick up on that X3. That hatch install/harness routing go smoothly?
                      I've got the old hatch off, the new hatch prepped. Keeping the wing off the old hatch, but need to repair it's harness since the better looking wing got 2 wires ripped.
                      So I need to transfer the good wires from the ugly wing.

Then I'll be ready to start putting it all back together, still waiting on the bumper from paint so I've got a few days.

No rush, just taking my time, and cleaning every little thing as I go.
                      My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

Anyone notice that in some magazines and stuff people are always taking the honeycomb stuff out? Seems like a great way to make the MAF read crappy unstraightened or turbulent air and loose power instead of "removing a restriction"...

Just seems to me if the MAF was a restriction it would be from overall size/diameter, not from the honeycomb stuff itself...

The other day I was reading something somewhere that the guy out honeycomb stuff in a MAF that didn't have any and the car ran better...
                        Last edited by DER E30; 03-03-2015, 07:08 PM.
                        -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                        08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                        318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                        '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                        Originally posted by roguetoaster
                        Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
                          The other day I was reading something somewhere that the guy out honeycomb stuff in a MAF that didn't have any and the car ran better...
                          I've heard similar. I will let you know when the new MAF w/ the honeycomb arrives and determine if the car runs any better with it.

I am assuming it will be better with rather than without.

:D:D:D:D:D
                          My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

so i unplugged the MAF while the car was running.

RPMs shot up to 3k but was running smooth like butter.

Hopes that's all it was. At least I changed my oil and got new spark plugs, car is ready for summer!
                            My M3 has been doing this for ~2 years now, when it happened I would just unplug the MAF and plug it back in and then it would usually run fine for several miles. I have gone in and adjusted it a couple times now, last time was last fall, so it has been doing fine for ~6 months now. I really need to just order up a replacement, but at $600 for remanufactured it pains me to do so

Daniel
                            1990 M3 - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=376104
                            2011 328i Sport Wagon - 6sp Manual, RWD, Sport

Comment

Originally posted by hankolerd View Post
                              My M3 has been doing this for ~2 years now, when it happened I would just unplug the MAF and plug it back in and then it would usually run fine for several miles. I have gone in and adjusted it a couple times now, last time was last fall, so it has been doing fine for ~6 months now. I really need to just order up a replacement, but at $600 for remanufactured it pains me to do so
                              $600 !?!?!?!??!

I ordered a new MAF for $40 shipped.

The most expensive one I saw was $110

but mine is a kia/vw/audi part, not BMW.
                              My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by hankolerd View Post
                                If you don't mind some down time, send yours to "Gregs///M" and he will rebuild yours. Not sure what he charges for doing it, but I'm sure it's far less than $600.
                                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
                                X