No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will give my $.02 on the M42, as I had one and cracked the head. It is a really fun motor and at the end of the day they can be had and replaced easily. Really the only mods worth doing from a price standpoint are a lite flywheel (~13lbs), chip, and an exhaust that doesn't sound like shit (I was lucky enough to have a Dinan cat back).

The design on the motor sucks. The head and timing case alignment with the coolant jacket is horrible, corrodes if coolant intervals aren't kept, and the timing components cost more than I care to replace ever again. Yeah, gas mileage is good but honestly I wouldn't do another M42. The amount of money spent on one would get ridiculous if you are trying to get power out of it, and really doesn't matter in the end which motor you have when you are talking itbs and tunes, the cost is there either way (for the most part).

And let's be honest, most of us don't drive the E30's to try to hypermile. Let's just leave that with the Prius owners, mmmmmmkay.
    - Greg
    α Team Founding Member
    1984 BMW 325 Henna Rot - Sarah -Uber project
    2011 BMW 335d LeMans Blau - Daily Diesel Torque monster

Comment

Can we all just go back to ignoring Toes again? M42 debate is getting older than whats been on the news.

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
        Can we all just go back to ignoring Toes again? M42 debate is getting older than whats been on the news.
        Agreed. I honestly couldn't care less what people want to run in/on/through their cars. It's yours, do what you like with it.

In other news ECS Tuning actually has a pretty stellar return policy. I had some E46 control arms I purchased last December and they will take them back for store credit up to a year.
        - Greg
        α Team Founding Member
        1984 BMW 325 Henna Rot - Sarah -Uber project
        2011 BMW 335d LeMans Blau - Daily Diesel Torque monster

Comment

Y'all sound like bullies...
          -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
          91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
          08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
          04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
          Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
          Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
            Y'all sound like george graves...
            ftfy potstir
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Bullies? Yea that or we are just tired of

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                "stuck" with an m42... the engine that outperforms the m20b27 in almost every single way... hahahahahaha OKAY
                And yet I'd rather have the M20B27

The M42 is a complete piece of shit, awful engines

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                  And yet I'd rather have the M20B27

The M42 is a complete piece of shit, awful engines
                  I'm going to do as little as humanly possible to mine and see how long it takes before it dies.
                  '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

it wont die Austin, looks like youre gonna be stuck with it for awhile. no tbelt and no valves to adjust, its a modern engine needing wayyyy less dedicated maintenance.

dont even change the oil and use some mechanical sympathy I bet $50 it will go 5,000 miles atleast.

Dump that clutch every single rainy morning the car aint going to fucking care.

Comment

"Hay guyz watch this driftzor, this car doesn't need any maintenance" famous last words

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                        Dump that clutch every single rainy morning the car aint going to fucking care.
                        I dont need to burnout in the rain, i dont have an m42 lol

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                          I dont need to burnout in the rain, i dont have an m42 lol
                          Hahahahahaha

Comment

I have to agree with Toes here

As a few of you know, I came from the Saab world. When I first crossed over into BMWs I couldn't believe that they kept a single overhead cam timing belt engine that needs valve adjustments all the way into the 90's.

Perhaps I was spoiled by a company that had direct ignition, timing chains, DOHC, and computer-controlled variable timing+fuel+boost control (world's first in mass production) since the mid-1980's. And of course self-adjusting lifters ;)
                            '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                              Y'all sound like bullies...
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

#savetoes
                                -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                                91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                                08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                                04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                                Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                                Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Working...
                                X