No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife (as of Sunday!) drives a 2010 S40 R-Design AWD 6sp manual that she did European delivery on when she bought it new. I have driven it quite a bit over the last 4 years, and the Volvo brand has grown on me immensely because of it. The handling is not as sharp and precise feeling behind the wheel as a BMW (it just feels like they use softer rubber bushings throughout the car), but it is much better at soaking up road imperfections, which is a pretty big bonus in Seattle. The 2.5L turbo sounds pretty mean too.

Daniel
    1990 M3 - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=376104
    2011 328i Sport Wagon - 6sp Manual, RWD, Sport

Comment

Shoot, after having just biked from Seattle to Portland last weekend - your roads in Seattle are jetway smooth compared to what we got here. I'm pretty sure the roads in Europe after WWII were in better shape than what our worthless city has let them deteriorate to.
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
        most never seem to really deliver on the mantra of "4 cyl fuel economy with 6 cyl power" that people say about them.
        The original white block design was because they wanted a bigger displacement motor after years of big fours, to make more power and get away from the vibrations of a four. They didn't want to build a bigger car to fit a straight 6 in, so they went with 5. It's all aluminum, with a 20 valve head designed by Porsche. It has a balance shaft for vibrations. A pretty tough motor. Good power with lots of torque. R motor makes a lot more power. Rear main seal replacement was one weak point. PCV system gets clogged and needs to be replaced.

Here's an 850 wagon at the Nurb. A fair bit of body roll, but pretty well behaved, with what looks like stock height and a trailer hitch.

Here's the 6 cylinder version of that block, making a bunch of power...

The 5 makes a certain sound....

EDIT - youtube Y U no show up like normal?!

E92 m3 driving behind and filming a Volvo 850 at Nürburgring.

https://www.facebook.com/GTBOARD Volvo Amazon vs Ferrari 599 GTB F1 Interior + exterior race

And they are tough. He's like the energizer bunny..
        Ultimate best crash test '94 Volvo 2.5 10v with 476000kms Part 1

Last edited by LateFan; 07-19-2017, 10:18 AM.

Comment

The roads are ok, the traffic is not.
          1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
          willschnitz

Comment

My brother had a 98 V70R that we modded for quiet a few years. It completely changed my perception of Volvo. That thing was fast, handled great, and was super fun to drive once we put in the M58 5-speed manual.

Last edited by DrJosh; 07-19-2017, 10:54 AM.
            Originally posted by Sonny
            I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Not to mention the Volvo 5 cylinder in turbocharged form was what powered the second gen Focus RS that we never got here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              2016 Ford Flex

Comment

I have an overall good opinion of Volvos, I used to see a lot of them at Swedish meets that I'd bring my Saabs to. The 240 era is my favorite for sure, RWD turbo bricks with plenty of modding potential.

The FWD models with 20v turbo have an amazing amount of grunt, but I always hated the ridiculous SUV-like turning radius. I considered Saabs to generally be the more nimble/sporty counterpart. An ex had a Volvo S70 I drove sometimes, no boost gauge WTF?

I'm annoyed that when they moved on to the V70/S70 they sold the V70R in the US but not the S70R. For the 850R they sold both the sedan and wagon versions here.

Can't go wrong with a 850R. Stock wheels were great but they look perfect with a set of 18" pegs.
                '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

One of my favorite cars from the 1990s. Reminds me of growing up. IMHO, a very timeless design.
                  '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Jan Wilsgaard

1800ES
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaaa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	7192413

When he designed the Volvo 140 Series, Wilsgaard employed a credo, "simple is beautiful". The design symbolized the car's robust, restrained quality — but later came to represent a lack of creativity or daring. Regarding the enormous success of the Volvo 240 series in Sweden, Wilsgaard is said to have remarked "It might be because the car is a little square and sluggish, just like the Swedes themselves."

Comment

The turning radius is awful. Also I wouldn't buy a FWD one. The V70R was fwd for awhile until we could get a new driveshaft for it. AWD is absolutely the only way I'd drive one.
                      Originally posted by Sonny
                      I am a meme for our community.

Comment

I had an 850 turbo wagon. Had 325whp, it was fun playing with mustangs, sti's and what not, it was such a sleeper

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                          Shoot, after having just biked from Seattle to Portland last weekend - your roads in Seattle are jetway smooth compared to what we got here. I'm pretty sure the roads in Europe after WWII were in better shape than what our worthless city has let them deteriorate to.
                          You were in that crazy bunch? Every year, you guys come though my towns, and make us all nervous!! haha
                          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

This was my first year trying it.

Many of the PRO3 drivers do it fairly regularly, and convinced my buddy and I we could do it in 1 day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            2016 Ford Flex

Comment

I love the looks on the older Volvos, especially the 122, the 122 wagon, and the 142. I'd like to eventually get one for a project.

I really wanted to like the S60R and V70R and every time I'm in the market for a car I go test drive one, but there are just too many little things that put me off from the car. The turn radius as mentioned drives me bat shit. The steering in general, I mean all cars these days are non-linear, but you get the steering wheel at like 30degrees and it is like an on/off switch. Dislike how the shifter feels. How the peddles are positioned. And the driver area makes me feel squished in (not in a comfortable kind of sporty way) and claustrophobic.

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                                ... convinced my buddy and I we could do it in 1 day.
                                That's a long way in one day. Is it mostly flat?

Comment

Working...
                                X