No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you guys have to keep the original emissions equip in place for inspections?

Comment

^wut r those lmao

We can do pretty much whatever we want to our cars emission wise. God, theres not a chance in hell my 318is would pass.

I really need to do some more research on the whole 911 thing. The parts premium on them is stupid compared to e30s. Same product will always be marked up 50% more..
      Hank Ahrens
      1984 Alpine Coupe
      1978 911sc

Comment

Ok, I thought in CA at least the emissions testers visually check all the air pumps and original junk on engines. How can they know every engine out there by year? Anyway.

I have a friend here with a '67 911 he's trying to get up to speed. He talks about the crazy Porsche prices for very basic stuff.

Comment

Pacific Northwest does NOT, EMPHATICALLY, include California.

Party foul!

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I feel like I must be the outlier, I have never wanted or found Porsche’s exciting or wanted one.

To me, they just look like a VW Bug with a bunch of aero. Never did anything for me; yah, I get the history and what not, but the cars never spoke to me. I’ve driven a few on the track and was not overly bowled over, and I’ve seen some nicely setup ones, but just not my bag I guess.

But then again, I like station wagons/Tourings. So maybe that’s why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I really want to build a Beetle, then an Aircooled Porsche - not as a "forever" cars; just feel like it'd be worth the trouble. I could be crazy though.
              clutchCTRL!
              Move with a purpose.
              - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
              - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
              - 2000 323i AT
              2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Those turbo beetles are actually a lot of fun
                sigpic

4 doors.. so much room for activities!

IG @bluebombr

Transaction Feedback:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

Comment

I really just want to be able to drive this car hard, and the current 2.7/915 really feel terrible. First is a mess.

I do think I might just be spoiled by how hard you can beat on bmw ZFs and getrags
                  Hank Ahrens
                  1984 Alpine Coupe
                  1978 911sc

Comment

Mine has the G50, but owners of the 915 love them when they're set up correctly. Cable actuated, so start there and see if there's slack that needs to be tightened.

I recently drove a friend's 914, outwardly beautiful, he paid top dollar for it on BaT, and it was awful. I love Porsches, but when they're not sorted, they suck. Controls (steering, brakes, clutch) can have heavy actuation, vague engagement (shifting), and generally depressing sloppiness that would horrify the Porsche engineers and factory floor workers who originally built these things. Like the e30 I bought from you, some TLC goes a long way to improving the driving experience.
                    '91 325i

Comment

A 914, is as much of a Porsche, as a Boxster is. Yuck.
                      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                        I like the Boxster & the 914. Had you said Cayenne (which I also personally like) I wouldn't have felt the need to comment. Label me a Porschephile. I'd love to own one.
                        1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                        SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                        Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                          Ha, as a former 911 elitist, I used to feel the same way. I've seen them set TTOD at autocross (nerd racing), and have personally had fits trying to catch them in WTW vintage racing. They are low, wide, deceptively light, and inherently well-balanced. Potential giant-killers. I don't mind the VW contribution to the effort, except for being chronically underpowered. If I had F.U. money, I'd build one up with a 3.8 Varioram, and abuse it the way I do this BMW.

Which happens to be fun-as-shit! This 2.7 SETA with the Schrick 284 is a blast. Can't wait to give it more compression with the shaved Myster-E (?!) head that's waiting in the wings.
                          '91 325i

Comment

I've had occasional thoughts of building up something like this. Back when you could get a core 3.6 for less than $5K. Yeah, really makes dicking around with BMW stuff seem like a bargain. Still, this engine, and a G50 transmission... magic!

Bid for the chance to own a Modified 3.6L Porsche Flat-Six Engine at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #14,291.
                            '91 325i

Comment

^that's engine is going to sell for nearly twice what I paid for this car, I bet.
                              I plan on rebuilding the 915, I'm sure all the dog teeth are rounded.
                              Hank Ahrens
                              1984 Alpine Coupe
                              1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by 1craze30 View Post
                                With the m50 block Going into the machine shop and everything else, I still dont have a chassis to put the engine into when done. Really on the fence between an e24 and an e30. Obviously e30, but shells are tough to find, as in everything BUT engine/trans. Trying to find an e30 that runs drives and stops, but e30 tax has gone up lately, so I'm leaning towards e24/28 chassis.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                                What machine shop?

Comment

Working...
                                X