325iX: Desirable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BillBrasky View Post
    My dad, brother and I all drive 5 speed 325ix's daily in the winter. We just deal with it and consider it an active cancer on the car that needs constant attention. We put them up on the lift and replace rusty parts, sand down rust areas, spray them with neutralizer and 3M rubberized undercoating. All undercarriage bolts, nuts, washers have been replaced with stainless steel and lubed with anti-seize.

For 1, that's a lot of IX in a family. For 2, that's a lot of bolts nuts and washers.
    1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
    BMW

Comment

Just depends on what you like I suppose. In LA, I don't see too many iX's. I hear about transfer cases and other iX specific parts being problematic and not readily available which deters people. Being in LA...I'd never own one. They look cool and might be rare but are ultimately undesirable to me.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

It's seems it's mainly just a Cali thing. I guess it'd be cool for snow, but we don't get that in Cali. For other regions, I can see why people would want them, but down here.. I really just don't see the point

Comment

Originally posted by Zreberlcoe View Post
          For 1, that's a lot of IX in a family. For 2, that's a lot of bolts nuts and washers.
          Haha, yeah there is about to be another one added in a few months.

Going back to the op's question, if you don't live anywhere that has winter storms then I wouldn't even bother with a 325ix. Most of them are haggard because 90% of their miles were driven in salty conditions. They don't handle anything like a rwd e30 and are pretty boring on dry pavement. After a while of driving, sometimes I forget that its awd. Then I go hop in my 325i and the lighter steering feel is instantly noticeable. My M3 takes it a step beyond that. After I go back to the 325ix, it feels like a truck.

Having said all of that, I love my 325ix. I hate winter, but I love driving it around in blizzard conditions when only awd/4wd vehicles are on the road. We have plenty of those days here in northeast Ohio. I can't remember the last time that weather has prevented me from getting around anywhere since I bought my first IX in '07.

Comment

OP: stop changing your username.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
            i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
            Originally posted by slammin.e28
            Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

325iX: Desirable?

Lol^^

Your wish had been granted
              Jason won't let me change it anymore

Comment

Why does anyone find any E30 desirable at all?

It was a mass-produced run-of-the-mill sedan built for and bought by Yuppie assholes wearing red suspenders.

But we like them because we do. That's all that matters.
                2011 1M Alpine white/black
                1996 Civic white/black
                1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Originally posted by BobombETA View Post
                  All you ix dudes that drive em' year round, how are you keeping them rust free?
                  Mine has only ever lived in Denver, Colorado, in a garage. Dry climates and areas where they don't salt the roads help tremendously.
                  My Allrad Blog

Comment

I don't. Rust on my ix is earned thru miles of abuse.

Truth be told, I bought it for $500 (with working awd) and it was already rotted so why bother.
                    sigpic

Comment

I just get an undercarriage wash after every snow/salt event. Then I check under the car when I get a chance and spray WD-40 on effected areas. When Spring rolls around (like now) I'll do a more thorough cleaning and POR-15 rust spots. I'm seeing rust appear at the inside bottom of my doors now, so I'll have to remove the doors, then strip and paint them before it creeps around to the outside. ...just gotta stay on top of it...
                      My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Originally posted by einhander View Post
                        Why does anyone find any E30 desirable at all?

It was a mass-produced run-of-the-mill sedan built for and bought by Yuppie assholes wearing red suspenders.

But we like them because we do. That's all that matters.
                        hat tip

Comment

I use PPG epoxy primer and good paint to keep the rust back. I think they make some primers that help inhibit rust as well, though I have not tried them.

Comment

If I buy another e30, I think I will probably go for an iX. I would love to rip it up on a rallyx track or some snow!

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
                            Originally posted by scabzzzz
                            I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                            1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
                            2002 325i - DD
                            2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
                              Don't get me wrong...I love iX's. The 5-speed ix had 3.91 gears while the auto had 4.10. I wish BMW had at least done some work on the gear ratios in the transmission since they put the same engine/transmission as the RWD. With the 3.91 gears, the iX pulls stumps (I have done it) and then you have to shift immediately. I wish they had tuned the engine and retained the 3.73 gears. Did it make sense to put an identical engine in an AWD? More torque on the low end would get all of that mass spun up more effectively. I must admit that it is a lot of fun dialing up all of that horsepower in the snow - it just takes a while to get there in the absence of snow.

You need a set of euro 3.64 diffs. 3000 rpm at 70 is great compared to 3600 rpm.
                              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Its not 3600rpm. I hate how much people exaggerate the highway rpms, even 4.10s with the 5 speed isn't that high.

And yeah, the 3.64 will be more comfy on the highway, but it will accelerate like an old truck.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X