Cheap fuel pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap fuel pump?

Had anybody tried these pumps yet? Seem awfully cheap compared to all the other sources out there. I was thinking about trying this in my late style tank as a transfer pump to prevent starvation during long sweepers.

you get what you pay for.. that is almost certainly some poorly made chinese knockoff.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I've used TRE fuel pumps in several cars, never had a problem. Currently they're $70:
      TREperformance sells high pressure 255 LPH fuel pumps for all BMW vehicles including the 325, 535, 740, M-Series. These performance pumps will fit any BMW and flow 255LPH and support 500hp.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Just get a Walbro 255. Here's the DIY on how to install it:

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalSterm View Post
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-G...4383.l4275.c10

Had anybody tried these pumps yet? Seem awfully cheap compared to all the other sources out there. I was thinking about trying this in my late style tank as a transfer pump to prevent starvation during long sweepers.

We added surge tanks in our enduro cars after battling with the duel pumps and them failing. Fuel pumps don't exactly like to run just wide open to an empty hose (high pressure pumps are worse).

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
          Just get a Walbro 255. Here's the DIY on how to install it:

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=134915

Walbro brand is copied so much, hard to get a good one anymore. I have switched to Aeromotive as they make a 340gph that fits just as nicely and is only ~$125.

The pump the OP is talking about is a low pressure lifter pump that came in the m3, 325e and early 318 (note the 12mm supply hose, and return at the pump carrier, late models have the return down low on the passenger side saddle of the tank). When using a dual pump setup, it's best to use a low pressure, high volume pump, or they burn up pretty quickly when they are just running to the other side of the tank (even the low pressure pumps don't seem to last).

Also, to add a second in-tank pump you would need the entire carrier to replace the level sender on the driver side.

So, for the price, it is worth getting that setup just to get the carrier that cheap - always can put a quality pump in it's place.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            We added surge tanks in our enduro cars after battling with the duel pumps and them failing. Fuel pumps don't exactly like to run just wide open to an empty hose (high pressure pumps are worse).

Interesting, that's good to know. I see I skimmed the OP pretty bad didn't I?

Walbro brand is copied so much, hard to get a good one anymore. I have switched to Aeromotive as they make a 340gph that fits just as nicely and is only ~$125.

The pump the OP is talking about is a low pressure lifter pump that came in the m3, 325e and early 318 (note the 12mm supply hose, and return at the pump carrier, late models have the return down low on the passenger side saddle of the tank). When using a dual pump setup, it's best to use a low pressure, high volume pump, or they burn up pretty quickly when they are just running to the other side of the tank (even the low pressure pumps don't seem to last).

Also, to add a second in-tank pump you would need the entire carrier to replace the level sender on the driver side.

So, for the price, it is worth getting that setup just to get the carrier that cheap - always can put a quality pump in it's place.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Did you guys notice how that carrier mounts to the tank??? LOL HMMMMM that's gonna be a big HELL NO for me.

Find a clean OEM carrier and install a TRE/Walbro, etc and do it right the first time.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                Did you guys notice how that carrier mounts to the tank??? LOL HMMMMM that's gonna be a big HELL NO for me.

Find a clean OEM carrier and install a TRE/Walbro, etc and do it right the first time.
                I was wondering about that. I'm not super familiar with the early two-pump setup so I wasn't sure if that's what it was supposed to look like. Yeah, you're going to have to drill holes into the tank to bolt it in. Nope nope nope...
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post

I overlooked that part. :/

Yeah, no.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

What's the Aeromotive pump you're using? I may upgrade the racecar setup this year.
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                      What's the Aeromotive pump you're using? I may upgrade the racecar setup this year.

One like this - not sure which way was the offset (they have same/opposite of supply), not at the shop to look at one. :/

P/N 11541: 340 Fuel Pump, Offset Inlet**Offset Inlet** The Aeromotive 340 Stealth Fuel Pump is a high-output, in-tank, electric fuel pump that fits most popular EFI applications. The Aeromotive 340 is a compact, lightweight pump that bolts into many existing hanger assemblies. (to find your vehicle, see the application

EDIT: I typed "gph" earlier and it's "lph"...
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        I overlooked that part. :/

Yeah, no.
                        like, how do you even tighten that down? 100000x, NO.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          like, how do you even tighten that down? 100000x, NO.

After my reply, I was back to working and thought about that. No way to get inside the tank to tighten the nuts/bolts.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

Cheap fuel pump?

Don’t be an idiot, you have 12V current powerful enough to weld metal, and your going to stick it in your fuel tank? And it’s made in China????

Suspension, brakes, tires and Anything that is not cosmetic and is linked to your safety, do not buy replica Chinese crap man, your life depends on it.

I would buy window tint made in China and some detailing towels, but tell me to order brake pads/rotors or wheel bearings or control arms, no way. Now imagine a fuel pump.
                            Last edited by Sonny; 04-23-2019, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Pleasantly, you don't have enough oxygen in the fuel tank to start a fire.

As long as you've got the stock evap system, that is.

t
                              underwater welder
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                              X