Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMW E30 Bi-Xenon HID Projector Retrofit Kits!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squared was pretty early in the 3D printing craze - I bought one of his HID adapters, but never ended up using it (for various reasons - not related at ALL to quality). But knowing what I know about 3D printing, what he accomplished back them was pretty damn impressive. Unfortunately, I think he was just too early in the curve. I don't think he's been active for some time. Does anyone know?

Not that I can give you permission to outright copy what he did - but, I don't think anyone could seriously say you were blatantly copying him simply by looking at his website.

I never use high-beams on my E30 - I rarely drive it in the dark these days. But at a first glance of this thread, I'm really impressed with how compact your adapters are. I'm still running a Morimoto HID kit from around 2012 - it's still just the standard re-based H1 bulbs. But I'm thinking there's almost certainly going to be a decent LED adapter kit at some point. Anyone? Bueller?

Also, whoever said to charge what it's worth to do this - definitely that. Don't kill yourself over this community. It's either worth your time doing or it's not - take that from somebody who's tried making stuff for cheap over the years, only to realize it's more work than it's worth.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      Squared was pretty early in the 3D printing craze - I bought one of his HID adapters, but never ended up using it (for various reasons - not related at ALL to quality). But knowing what I know about 3D printing, what he accomplished back them was pretty damn impressive. Unfortunately, I think he was just too early in the curve. I don't think he's been active for some time. Does anyone know?

Not that I can give you permission to outright copy what he did - but, I don't think anyone could seriously say you were blatantly copying him simply by looking at his website.

I never use high-beams on my E30 - I rarely drive it in the dark these days. But at a first glance of this thread, I'm really impressed with how compact your adapters are. I'm still running a Morimoto HID kit from around 2012 - it's still just the standard re-based H1 bulbs. But I'm thinking there's almost certainly going to be a decent LED adapter kit at some point. Anyone? Bueller?

Also, whoever said to charge what it's worth to do this - definitely that. Don't kill yourself over this community. It's either worth your time doing or it's not - take that from somebody who's tried making stuff for cheap over the years, only to realize it's more work than it's worth.
      Thanks for all that. Very well said and some great input.

From what I know, and talking to someone who worked with him, my understanding is that he was ready to move on from it and he’s been inactive for a few years now. I only started this because I was unable to pick up one of those and it seemed like a cool project and it basically evolved from there.

Obviously the kits do the same things, but I made them entirely on my own and packaged everything to be user friendly as possible.

The LED kits are really hard. The only LED projector right now that is compact is the MLED, but it’s quite too large for our housings and the design of it makes it literally impossible to seal without also building something that would enclose the *entire* projector.

Thanks again for the kind words! It took a lot of work to make these so it’s much appreciated to receive feedback like that.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
        nice. I have some euro smileys that could use upgrading, is this the product I need, or do I need to check and see if it is bosch/hella brand?

https://www.esgprints.com/product-pa...r-retrofit-kit
        Hi! The Hella and Bosch headlights are very different, so yes, you would want to confirm which version you have first.

Comment

Some more nighttime shots from a lonely country road.

Click image for larger version  Name:	00E53D4B-98C3-46B3-937E-0904CA8369B3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	10055625
          Click image for larger version  Name:	1C71F0B5-3B8E-4612-9727-6E755FAF936C.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.6 KB ID:	10055626

Comment

Still have retrofit kits for all projector style headlights! I also have 2 sets of smoked and 1 set of clear retrofitted DEPO headlight assemblies. Check it all out esgprints.com.

Thanks!

Comment

Projector retrofits here! Get your projector retrofits here!

Click image for larger version  Name:	76A2FFD9-ECCB-445D-9585-7A5FBEC51DA6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.8 KB ID:	10060952

Comment

Reminder that these retrofit kits are still available and still awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by gilber33 View Post
                  Reminder that these retrofit kits are still available and still awesome.
                  Hey Gabe, I am interested in a set for my smoke euros. I need to check what brand I have and have a few questions about installation. Would the best way to communicate would be PM here on r3v or email or ?

Thanks,
                  Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                  BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post

Hey Gabe, I am interested in a set for my smoke euros. I need to check what brand I have and have a few questions about installation. Would the best way to communicate would be PM here on r3v or email or ?

Thanks,
                    Hey! If you want to shoot me a message through the website, those come directly to my email. https://www.esgprints.com

Contact on the bottom!

Comment

These look great.

What are the options for replacement capsules? Are the Acme connectors compatible with other H1-based replacements, or specific to their options?
                      Last edited by fiveightandten; 08-23-2022, 11:18 AM.
                      -Nick
                      sigpic
                      1986 325es || 1998 M3 sedan || 2003 330ci

~Looking for a left side early tail light, or a set of early tails~

Comment

Originally posted by fiveightandten View Post
                        These look great.

What are the options for replacement capsules? Are the Acme connectors compatible with other H1-based replacements, or specific to their options?
                        I believe the Acme are a more universal type projector setup. The Morimoto look to be specific to their make.

I can’t say 100% though because I have not tried mixing and matching them.

let me know if you have any other questions!

Comment

Retrofit kits still available at esgprints.com!

Comment

Retrofit kits still available at esgprints.com!
                            What color temperature were the bulbs at?
                            Originally posted by nervousmini
                            Break My Wallet
                            Bring My Wallet
                            Bring Money With

and the M cars are a multiplier

regular repair Money * 3 = M3
                            regular repair Money * 5 = M5
                            regular repair Money * 6 = M6

Comment

putting together a "splice in" delay circuit is a good idea.
                              Any news about the delay circuit?
                              Originally posted by nervousmini
                              Break My Wallet
                              Bring My Wallet
                              Bring Money With

and the M cars are a multiplier

regular repair Money * 3 = M3
                              regular repair Money * 5 = M5
                              regular repair Money * 6 = M6

Comment

Originally posted by samurai7 View Post

What color temperature were the bulbs at?
                                Those are 4300!

Comment

Working...
                                X