E30 best new M50 swap motor mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 best new M50 swap motor mounts

I'm sure this question has already been asked but unable to find in a search. Previously the solution for engine mounts for M50 swap into E30 was using M5 mounts and various number of washers/spacers. I've noticed recently now they have specific swap mounts, some with an angle on top. I'm sure some of you have starting using them, any recommendations which ones to get? I've seen options from Condor as well as generic ones on ebay. I currently am using all stock drivetrain mounts, so not wanting to use solid aluminum.

I used OEM E28 motor mounts on E36 arms with my M52B28.

Fit great and are rubber for NVH control.

Perhaps a little too much engine movement for my boosted application, but I'm going to trim the T4 flange so it stops running into my chassis when the engine torques over.

Comment

I don't think much has changed in the world of M50 engine mounts. There's AKG 70A polyurethane, Condor Speed Shop UHMW polyethylene mounts, and Revshift polyurethane mounts. People have run all of these with good success.

Are there any others out there? I haven't looked in a very long time.

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Condor ones were unimpressive as the studs spun inside the mount when I went to torque them. Then I put the akgs back in..

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

I posted a couple examples of what I am talking about below. I just came across them on ebay the other day. The current mounts in my car are E28 M5 and using about 7 or 8 washers to raise height. I also have the tranny adapter crossmember and oem mounts no poly. Clearance between mech fan and radiator is minimal but not an issue as mounts are still good, but I drive the car hard so at some point in the future I will need fresh mounts for standard maintenance. Other than shifter being a little offset to the right I have zero complaints with it, no increased nvh and shifts fast & smooth, squats a little to the left with wheelspin. I didn't even know AKG had swap specific mounts, I'll check those out, I've used AKG with good results in the past.
          2pcs Aluminum Racing Engine Mounts For BMW E36 E46 3 Series Z3 Z4 M3 Competition | eBay​
          Pair Front Engine Motor Mount For BMW E36 E46 320i Z4 3 Series E30 swap S50 M50 | eBay​

Comment

I see there are like a dozen different sellers for those second mounts, no idea how they hold up.

Currently running older style Condor UHMW mounts in my turbo car.
            They work fine, but I get a lot of vibration at idle and I might be getting false knock because of them.
            Because the AKG mounts seem to have a cult following, I tried to buy some, but they were backordered so I bought a set of the new style Revshift mounts.
            They really look like they're going to offset the engine one way or the other because one mount looks almost straight while the other has like a 1.5"offset on the studs...
            Unless they just mount with the stud hole (which will require some interesting drilling) there's no way in hell I can use them.

Edit: Unfortunately like 3 years later, AKG mounts are still on backorder.

4dr car has some of those old aluminum/poly "Lencas" mounts from an old r3v thread/seller.
            They were sold to me as M20 mounts, but sat the motor so fucking high that the throttle body put a dent in the hood.
            I modified them to have an offset stud and shortened them.
            Last edited by Northern; 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

E28 stock mounts are getting hard to source from reputable brands. I've done quite a few swaps using the Revshift mounts, with great results. They're not that much harsher than stock and locate the engine correctly.
              Byron
              Leichtbau

Comment

I would never use Delrin or solid aluminum for engine or tranny mounts, the nvh is unbearable. I've never had issues with AKG parts and used them for years. It appears that none of the options have a bolt through design, so main consideration is hardness and durability of the poly material. What is the deal with the revshift mounts being asymmetrical as Northern mentioned? Unless I can get some AKG mounts I think I will just get backup e38 mounts and maybe even get a pair of the generic ones off ebay if I can get em cheap enough, just for shits n giggles.

Comment

Looked into it a bit more. From their site (which also has one pic that sort of shows how offset one is.):

They use the oem motor mount bolt holes on the E30 subframe. The mounts are angled with offset bolts to position the engine so that proper drivetrain alignment is maintained. They are used with E36 engine brackets. We recommend using an E21, 2002tii, or VW MK2 Golf brake booster.
                  Sounds/looks like it is trying to offset the engine to the right. Losing any more space on the right side is going to halt any hope of routing a downpipe.
                  Nobody doing this swap has ever had issues from the driveline angle being off (besides the "flip the CSB backwards" advice)
                  And AFAIK, those recommended boosters are smaller/single diaphragm and it's not worth swapping a booster that is going to make your braking system worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    Unfortunately like 3 years later, AKG mounts are still on backorder.
                    They are available now. But they may go backorder again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post

They are available now. But they may go backorder again soon.
                      I received the email today as well. I'm debating buying a 3rd set of mounts for this car...

Comment

Hmmm, yeah if they change engine position I dunno about that. Your post reminds me I need to confirm which mount arms I have (I believe they are E34). Back in the day I used to call AKG and they had good customer service, I might give that a try again.

Comment

Working...
                        X