[HOW TO] e46m3 6-speed your e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[HOW TO] e46m3 6-speed your e30

I get asked pretty frequently how I fit the Getrag s6s-420g transmission from the e46 M3 into my e30. So instead of answering the question a few times a week I thought I would just do a write up of the parts necessary and some tips and notes.

Parts:

E46 M3 getrag s6s-420g transmission
    E46 M3 Flywheel
    E46 M3 Clutch
    E36 325i clutch slave cylinder(there may be a better option out there but I know this works, the pedal is kinda light for my taste)
    Custom trans x-member
    Automatic e36 M3 with e30 CSB Driveshaft
    E46 M3 guibo
    E36 engine to trans mounting hardware(e46 stuff is too long)
    E46 M3 driveshaft to trans hardware (12mm bolts)
    E36 M3evo shifter assembly(details below)
    E30 late model rear shifter mount
    Shift knob with 6-speed shift pattern ;)

Install Highlights:

The e30 reverse light switch threads into the e46 trans no problem and functions

You need a lower rear end gear ratio. I run a 3.91 and its very streetable. For a daily driver the 3.73 would probably be perfect.

For the shifter you need the e36 M3evo 6-speed parts:

Thats everything in the above pic EXCEPT 12,13,14,15. You NEED 1-11! this will slide into the late modle e30 rear shifter support. For early e30s(pre '86) you need to convert to the later style mount.

For a drive shaft you need one of custom length made. ( or apparently you can use an e36 M3 automatic driveshaft with an e30 center support bearing swapped in ) Bimmerworld made mine and make a very quality unit. They will send you a sheet to fill out with critical measurements like the one below.

For ME the measurements were the following:
    1. 21.5"
    2. 54.375"
    3. 1.375"
    4. Stock e30 non-M length
    5. E46 M3 flex disk
    6. 12mm bolt hole
    These may change depending on your particular set-up. MAKE SURE YOU CONFIRM THESE MEASUREMENTS ON YOUR CAR BEFORE YOU ORDER. IF IT DOESN'T FIT ITS YOUR FAULT!!!

As for the custom x-member your on your own. You can use the stock e30 x-member and weld on extensions so that it reaches the front and rear sliders.

Thats it!

Technical notes:

Gear ratios:
    1st 4.23
    2nd 2.53
    3rd 1.67
    4th 1.23
    5th 1
    6th 0.83

The internals of this transmission are the same used in the 6-speed mkIV supra. So its basically indestructible.

This trans is the upgraded version of the e36 6-speed. The syncro problems of the e36 were fixed to solve the miss-shift problems and early wear.
    Last edited by BeirBrennerE30; 10-22-2008, 05:23 AM.
    e30sport.net
    '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
    '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
    '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

awesome write up, answers many questions.

Great job.

Comment

great write up man.

s52 0-150mph & more http://www.youtube.com/loonibab325i

Comment

awsome wirte-up

any chance that a get 420 will fit an m20? ;)
        1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
          awsome wirte-up

any chance that a get 420 will fit an m20? ;)
          I don't see why not. It would be tilted 10 degrees or so, so you'd need to further customize the mounts and linkage...
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
            I don't see why not. It would be tilted 10 degrees or so, so you'd need to further customize the mounts and linkage...
            yay... even tho there would be no benift... just dreaming...
            1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

You actually don't need a custom driveshaft... one from a certain e36 auto fits. I don't remember which, but that's what we used on the one we did.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                You actually don't need a custom driveshaft... one from a certain e36 auto fits. I don't remember which, but that's what we used on the one we did.
                The one from the 328i works. A friend used that when he installed the 6-speed box in his S50 car.

Comment

that I didnt know... good info. I heard a rumor that the e36 evo xmember can be made to fit with less modding, if any, that the e30 piece. any truth to that?
                  e30sport.net
                  '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                  '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                  '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

I don't really see any e36 crossmember fitting an e30 chassis at all. The e36 is much more asymmetrical than the e30.

Comment

Find out which one I am about to send my drive shaft off to be cut and balanced. so if I could just pick up one with the right length it would help out a lot. Also I could get rid of the M3 drive shaft I have now.
                      "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith alone does not prove anything."

Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

It was an auto e36 M3 driveshaft that we used, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 328i one works too.

Comment

It was an auto e36 M3 driveshaft that we used, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 328i one works too.

Good to find this out now. I could have had one of those given to me since NO one wants those drive shafts
                          "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith alone does not prove anything."

Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

What rpms do you cruise in at 70 in 6th????

How are 1st and and 2nd compared to using the e36 zf???
                            Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

^

Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing your driving impressions. What do you like about it, what don't you like, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X