No announcement yet.

M54. Let the foolishness begin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I am going to do the same conversion with an M54B30 into an '89 E30 325i sedan and was wondering what engine brackets and mounts you used to get your engine sitting in the right position. Also you mention that you think there might be enough space for the standard E30 brake booster is this right... as that sounds much easier than replacing the unit with a different unit.
    Cheers
    Leigh

Comment

Originally posted by leigh7225 View Post
      Hi, I am going to do the same conversion with an M54B30 into an '89 E30 325i sedan and was wondering what engine brackets and mounts you used to get your engine sitting in the right position. Also you mention that you think there might be enough space for the standard E30 brake booster is this right... as that sounds much easier than replacing the unit with a different unit.
      Cheers
      Leigh
      It physically mounts exactly like any other DOHC engine. Same mounts, same transmission options, same oil pan, same exhaust.

With no spacers on the mounting arm I have 1/2" clearance with a 320i booster. The manifold is flexible enough to push up for a total of around 3/4". I'm not sure what the diffence in diameter between the stock booster and 320 booster is anymore.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by hoveringuy; 08-25-2009, 09:43 AM.

Comment

this thread reminds me soo much of pei330's threads....i wish i had the wealth of information you seem to pour out on a post by post basis...

well now i know if i can't sell my e46 i guess i will just take the s/c 330 source a 5/6 speed and find a way to sell myself out to pay you to help with the swap lol...

Comment

Mean and Green

So just for the hell of it I took my car to a WA emissions testing station. Not because I need to (I don't live in an emissions county) but because I was curious how it would do and I may want to move to King County in the future.

WA uses a roller test to simulate 25mph.

My exhaust is clean! I have OBD2 cats.
          HC (ppm) CO (%)
          Cruise Limit . . . . . 150 . . . . 1
          actual . . . . . . . . .49 . . . 0.16

Idle Limit . . . . . . . 220 . . . 1.2
          actual . . . . . . . . 154 . . . 0.02

So there you have it OBD1 M54... Mean and Green!

Comment

Al Gore would be so proud!
            '89 325i track sloot
            '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

Hey steve, you should let me barrow your exhaust set up so I can pass emissions :)

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

My car passed smog 2 weeks ago too! (Only its mandatory here).

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

I haven't posted any real updates in a while because nothing monumental has happened. I've been daily driving the car plugging away at the little details and working on the tune with TRM.

Tonight, the latest tune revision arrived and I am again really excited about the motor because it seems like all the little pieces have fallen into place. It took it for a drive and it felt bat-shit fast!

TRM has been working on ironing-out the tune bit by bit. Cold start, acceleration enrichment, part throttle, etc. I've also been revising the VANOS advance/retard curves and incorporated a throttle position input to the mix. 20 degrees of intake advance increases the dynamic compression by over 1/2 point which increases power a lot but can also cause pinging if not used judiciously.

I now have part-throttle and full throttle advance. It's much more better.

I retard the exhaust at part-throttle which seems to make it more responsive but advance it back up at full throttle. The exhaust cam is still an enigma to me.

Wiring is completely cleaned-up and the circuit now resides neatly in the engine bay. The messiest thing is the wiring for my LM-2 which has been priceless. I log throttle position, rpm, A/F and VANOS engagement. It's pretty sweet!

Oh yeah... TRM has an M54 they're trying to figure out what to do with...

Comment

this is one of my all time favorite project threads. nice work!

600hp beast

Comment

I was considering selling my S50 and doing an M54. Dual Vanos FTW
                        Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                        Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                        Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
                          I was considering selling my S50 and doing an M54. Dual Vanos FTW
                          If you have a good running S50 I would stick it it. Dual VANOS isn't actually that great... the 20 degrees and continuously variable intake cam is, exhaust VANOS is over-rated.

DISA is also excellent and so is the aluminum block.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                            If you have a good running S50 I would stick it it. Dual VANOS isn't actually that great... the 20 degrees and continuously variable intake cam is, exhaust VANOS is over-rated.

DISA is also excellent and so is the aluminum block.
                            The alumnum block, disa, dVanos.

I have access to an M54 on this coast that I was thinking about picking up for my other e30.

My car currently is just beastly. No reason to tear it apart.....

Just yet..
                            Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                            Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                            Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

One year!

Today marks the one year anniversary of installation and first start of the M54. It's a Holiday in my house and the kids will have ice cream with sprinkles tonight.

How's the motor been over the last year?

Kinda boring, actually.

Reliable.. boring.
                              Smooth.. boring.
                              Quiet.... boring.

Never fails to start, doesn't leak a drop. Boring!

Boring is good.

It still has tons of power and even more torque but it seems like I got used to the power so quickly. I already need something bigger and better for my next fix. S54??

I'm still learning a lot about the motor and working on the tune with TRM. It hasn't been as easy as just tweaking an S50 tune, the V/E profile just seems much different.

The VANOS control circuit and Hall to VR circuits have both been dead-nuts reliable. I've steadily made software revisions to the VANOS board and it now works completely invisibly.

The aluminum up front has been great, too.

I would do this swap again and I recommend it for anyone that finds an M54b30 in good condition.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                                Today
                                The VANOS control circuit and Hall to VR circuits have both been dead-nuts reliable. I've steadily made software revisions to the VANOS board and it now works completely invisibly.

The aluminum up front has been great, too.

I would do this swap again and I recommend it for anyone that finds an M54b30 in good condition.
                                Would you provide the vanos/software help?

Comment

Working...
                                X