No announcement yet.

S54 Swap Muffler Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) This is Active Autowerkes equal length exhaust, the idea being that the rear bank is 1 foot closer to the merge so it's lengthened to make it equal.

Thoughts?

Relevance to DOHC e30's?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	42.5 KB ID:	9961719

2) I also see that one of the exhausts pictured above has a expansion bellow and the other one doesn't. Are they necessary?

Comment

I did a below to ease alignment when installing the system. When I was welding it all up I knew that with the heat there would be SOME movement so the flexpipe just eases install when the system has to come down.

Think about how the original M20 exhaust systems also had a flex in them on just one bank... I was following the same principal there.

As for the active setup... the E46 M3 stuff doesn't quite fully bolt up to our cars so buying something like only to have to hack it up feels a bit foolish.
      IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Bit of an update on my end... I have acquired the Borla center muffler with the integrated x-pipe and now waiting for the Stromung muffler to arrive. Hoping it arrives by the end of the week because I can literally drop it off a few blocks down from RK Tunes to have my buddy weld up the new stuff.
        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
          Tech tip, exhaust hangers are backwards, the through bolt should be closer to the front of front for exhaust expansion. If you system wobbles to much you can add the reinforcement that is on the e36 M3.

I really like the E36 exhaust mounts, the factory donuts always seem so troublesome if you don't use the stock exhaust bracket style hanger.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post

Tech tip, exhaust hangers are backwards, the through bolt should be closer to the front of front for exhaust expansion. If you system wobbles to much you can add the reinforcement that is on the e36 M3.

I really like the E36 exhaust mounts, the factory donuts always seem so troublesome if you don't use the stock exhaust bracket style hanger.
            Good to know. So far its been 2 years and the exhaust is solid as a rock. Question and maybe I am not understanding what you wrote, are you talking about the mount location, or that the actual rubber is backwards?
            Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Technically both. The muffler mounting rubber being backwards moved the through bolt rewards soaking up all the expansion room, looks like it would have to be cut and re welded... BUT..

The mount doesn't look like its in a bind, so it should be "OK" but an exhaust system can easily grow an inch if you're really driving the car.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                Technically both. The muffler mounting rubber being backwards moved the through bolt rewards soaking up all the expansion room, looks like it would have to be cut and re welded... BUT..

The mount doesn't look like its in a bind, so it should be "OK" but an exhaust system can easily grow an inch if you're really driving the car.
                Thanks I know mounting options were limited we were trying to make sure it lined up right with the Mtech II kit once it was put on.

So far so good but I will keep an eye on it.
                Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Working...
                X