Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N52 -> Into Touring /// What have I done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Holland View Post

I come and go, but trying to make an effort to be more regular.
    More fiber can help with that.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

This is awesome. You poured a new slab just for this project?

I'm excited to see your progress!

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

More fiber can help with that.
        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by projectJTv4 View Post
          This is awesome. You poured a new slab just for this project?

I'm excited to see your progress!
          Yes and no.

Long answer: I don't like to have any vehicles outside/not behind a locked gate. The small 2 car attached to the house wouldn't be a great place to do the work. One side of it can now just hold the stuff that needs to stay out of the elements for now, allowing my wife to keep her side for her car. This was the cheapest and best option to have my own workspace that I can do anything on - and if something needs to stay where it is overnight, it can. It's not ideal, but will suffice while we live in this house. Was considering a permanent shade cover, but once this car is put together it will live back in the garage, so I think that would be a waste for my needs. This allows for the next owner to either add more concrete or add a shade cover, etc.

Thanks! Long road to go, but I've got my eyes on the prize.

Comment

Ooooo stuff and things. Subbed.

Currently building a badass coffee table
            Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Very happy to say a local purchased the entire old driveline. Glad to help out someone else who is keeping their M40 in the car and needed things I had. Also made a small dent in all the money going out.

M40, accessories, trans, driveshaft, diff (open small case 4.27), exhaust, radiator, hoses, etc as a package. Getting some room back in the garage this weekend.

Engine arrived, along with yet more parts. More parts still left to order of course, that never ending feeling ha.

Comment

I've slacked with any real progress as of late, holidays, work projects, and not having any real weekend time to do anything.

I've got a lot of work ahead, but hoping to accelerate my pace.

==================================================

Short-ish Term Goal:

Get the engine and trans in the car, it's already warming up here, so to get the heavy stuff back in the car and back in the garage is the goal.

Then, wiring, and all of the bits to make it actually move under it's own power.

Special thanks to my source for a few of the parts to make this swap possible for me.

Testing fitment of header number 1 on my engine the other day, looking good, and clears everything it needs to:

Comment

That's a fancy looking header!
                  Was it made up custom?

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                    That's a fancy looking header!
                    Was it made up custom?
                    Indeed it was! Not by myself, I lack those skills. The artisan doesn't have any plans at this moment, but some day they may make more. But I can't speak to any of that, they wish to remain anonymous at this time.

Hoping next post I've got some real progress made on getting this thing back together.

Comment

Are you going to Front Sump?

Comment

Some day I'll actually put things back into the car.

Took out the front subframe to get it reinforced and powder coated.

Front end is likely going to be all refreshed, because of my indecisiveness I may wait on going all out on the rear because of pending actions.

This bad boy made things easier, why I didn't have one of these in my toolbox since I've been working on cars (age 14) is beyond me, so much better than any sort of fork devices.

Available from harbor freight.

Originally posted by darvo View Post
                        Are you going to Front Sump?
                        Yep, it's a custom pan that is being fabricated for this specific mounting position, but it's similar to what is in this thread.
                        Last edited by DEV0 E30; 02-14-2023, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Not a super exciting update but subframe is back from being reinforced and powder coated. I took too many pictures, just included a few for this post.

(more: imgur post/album)
                          Includes a video I took to remind me of where it was for max distance from firewall, and to ensure no binding.

I really like imgur as an image host, making posts/albums with notes is going to keep me organized.

B for Bad. This hole is apparently slightly tweaked, did not line up perfectly in the fabricator’s jig.

So this car was either assembled on a Friday or at some point in its 76k mile life the front passenger side ran over something? No idea.

This is the picture the fabricator sent me, so it's not off by much.​

Annnnd in. Using jack to put a slight pressure into rear holes and tightening down bolts in a rotation this misaligned corner didn’t have really an issue.

So I’m not going to worry about it going forward.

Z3 rack, CondorSpeedShop mounting kit for non-airbag (more below)

​​
                          Turns out (ha) you can re-use the EURO steering linkage/shaft/knuckle without any modifications. No binding anywhere. Spotted this as one post buried on r3v and an old topic on s14.net. Since the z3 rack's shaft is very long, it requires you to shave a slight spot so the bottom locking bolt sits below where the smooth area is. Also spacing it further from the firewall helps it from turning and eroding away the rubber firewall insulation. For now, I'd like to keep the insulation as is if I can since it's in decent shape, it may have to come off later though - like if the engine rubs up against it or it erodes to the point where new thinner insulation is a better choice.

Showing it below the Z3's regular spot flat spot.If I decide later I want to buy the custom direct Condor/other solid linkage I will...
                          ... but for now if this is good enough for people with euro M3s on s14.net for decades, it's good enough for me.​

I took too many pictures.
                          (more: imgur post/album)​
                          Includes a video I took to remind me of where it was for max distance from firewall, and to ensure no binding.

===========================================

Need to purchase:

+ E36 outer tie rods (because E36/Z3 inner + E36 outer = good) or (e30 inner + e30 outer = good) no mixing/matching if I recall correctly.
                          + E36 high pressure lines / modify E30 high pressure line.
                          + A lot of other things

===========================================​

Wiring:

​I have the full Z4 engine harness that came from the engine and I purchased a complete (engine) E60 harness and disconnected them and have begun labeling them, I need to follow what projectJTv4 did and make sure I label/understand everything. Then the lengthening and modifying them as necessary which is a bit daunting still in my mind.

DMEs:

I have multiple DME's, ready to ship / have them modified as soon as I know where they can go. If it's just software based, have the first cloned to the other two, then I have 2 backups, and can have one be experimental with tunes/changes, etc, then the others get cloned as necessary. My thought was: it's a good idea to always have one with tried and true tune, one that can be updated, and one backup. I know this is probably unnecessary but I don't want not having the DME to be the cause of not enjoying the car.

Random:

I purchased a random lot of parts from a local and have sold nearly everything I didn't need, netting a small profit. Of course I still have things I won't be using, but that's what happens when you buy other people's stuff.

Also sold my BBS RS wheels which in all honesty were an impulse buy, it's nice to negate some of the costs of the swap in an indirect way. I already have two sets of wheels for this car, so I really didn't need a third set that required adapters as is. Running adapters with smaller tires, I knew I'd look at it and wish I had more sidewall and regret buying not an optimal fitting set of RS's. Live and learn. This car is staying 4 lug for the considerable future.

​​

It's already heating up here, hoping to get the engine and trans mounted in the car soonish.

I'm probably going to wait until the engine is in and runs, then worry about getting the air ride setup in, just to keep things less complicated for now.

If the car had to have power to even push around (fill airbags, etc) in it's curret state, that would probably be frustrating.

I may change my mind on that but I have other stuff to do.
                          Last edited by DEV0 E30; 05-30-2023, 10:11 AM.

Comment

So cool. You will love it when it is done.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

​I have the full Z4 that came from the engine and I purchased a complete (engine) E60 harness and disconnected them and have begun labeling them, I need to follow what projectJTv4 did and make sure I label/understand everything. Then the lengthening and modifying them as necessary which is a bit daunting still in my mind.
                              Once I laid out the harnesses separately, it really helped me understand their purpose. I'm 100% sure that without documenting this, I would struggle putting it all back together. I'll just struggle a little less now with pictures haha.

Comment

So far so good! Headers look great. I think am finally going to bite the bullet on the KPower swap kit here shortly, realistically speaking if it's up and running come winter/nice weather I'll be happy. The wiring harness items still frighten me and I've got a plug and play kit, looking at everything overwhelms me quickly lol. I would definitely be labeling everything and taking a ton of pics.

If you want to take pics down the road when it's back in action holler at me, I've picked up quite a few canon lenses over the years and I haven't shot any cars in a while. I really need to get down to a cars and coffee, see you out at them pretty often. Looks like a ton of cool stuff to check out.

91 318is | 97 FZJ80

Comment

Working...
                                X