N52 engine mounting (Z4 arms)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N52 engine mounting (Z4 arms)

This is the thread to reveal, once and for all, that the Z4 E85 engine mounting arms are a perfect fit for the N52 into E30 swap. hubcapboy and I were initially confused about this because earlier information on those arms had mentioned cutting them and repositioning 1", and then re-welding. That's why we measured for our own arms and designed them to work with the hydraulic mounts, to boot. The idea was that we wanted guaranteed clearance for the full N52 DISA intake.

I found several issues with those arms. It placed the motor closer to the radiator than it needed to be and the fat hydraulic mounts were too close to the Power Steering rack fittings to be able to unscrew them.

So, last month, I finally tried a set of stock Z4 E85 mounts. They moved the engine back 1/2" for me and up maybe 8mm creating a perfect fit with off-the-shelf AKG DOHC swap mounts. They still provide clearance between the rack and the pan and allow for clearance to the heater core hoses and room for the full intake. The shifter is maybe slightly aft of center. The DOHC mounts have a built-in 5 degree correction and correct bolt offset, but all of the old "usual" DOHC mounts should work, too. E28 M5, etc...

That said, there is room for the motor to go further back, probably another 1", but I wouldn't do it without re-working the shift carrier, probably going rear sump for lack of space in the front and sticking with the N54 intake.

As far as the transmission mounts, it depends on which transmission you get. E90's came with two different manual transmissions. The GS6-17 in the 328 or the GS6-37 in the 330. The GS6-17 (the one I have) is a few inches shorter, 10lbs lighter and is rated for a bit less torque. The good news is that the GS6-17 uses the exact same mounting as the G260. Yep, I didn't need to change a thing. The GS6-37 has a different and more robust mounting style, but needs an adapter. It's the same one that the S54 swaps use, so Kassel, Bayside, etc all have that available.

Bottom line, stock subframe, stock Z4 arms and DOHC mounts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.6 KB ID:	10078990 Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.0 KB ID:	10078991 Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.2 KB ID:	10078988 Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.2 KB ID:	10078989
    Last edited by hoveringuy; 12-22-2022, 11:48 AM.

This having vastly simplified the amount of fabrication required for this swap, (and in particular the amount of "make this line up with this" fabrication) I'm going to celebrate by building out a better CAD project for oil pan fabrication specific to hoveringuy's geometry. I'd previously avoided doing this because there were so many challenges, but with a few adjustments the pan should have miles of clearance to the steering rack. I'll start a new thread (SINCE WE HAVE OUR OWN SUBFORUM NOW WHOOOOOO) to brainstorm ideas.

Comment

Nice work guys.

N5x swaps are going to be the next big thing! 📈

​

Comment

N52 E85 engine arms, twin cam motor mounts, and the motor is as far back as m5x swap? Less than a ~ 1CM to the firewall?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
          N52 E85 engine arms, twin cam motor mounts, and the motor is as far back as m5x swap? Less than a ~ 1CM to the firewall?
          I remember my M50 being much tighter to the firewall with the same clearance in the front, I still have at least 1.5" between the block and the firewall (without insulation). M50 had more drama with the heater core hoses, too.

So it could go back further, I just don't see a reason.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	10079002

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.5 KB ID:	10079000
          Last edited by hoveringuy; 12-22-2022, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Here's what it would look like if it was further back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221008_1348271.jpg Views:	0 Size:	269.3 KB ID:	10079063 Click image for larger version  Name:	20221008_1348381.jpg Views:	0 Size:	272.3 KB ID:	10079064 Click image for larger version  Name:	20221008_1348491.jpg Views:	0 Size:	267.4 KB ID:	10079065 Click image for larger version  Name:	20221008_1349121.jpg Views:	0 Size:	255.3 KB ID:	10079066

Comment

this makes me want to find a GS6-17 and n52 engine swap my e30
              Last edited by downforce22; 01-11-2023, 07:38 AM.
              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                this makes me want to do find a GS6-17 and n52 engine swap my e30
                They're dime-a-dozen right now, like the M50 was back in the day.

Comment

Just for verification / confirmation, the Z4 E85 arms are the ones off the 3.0i/si trim, not 2.5i?

Click image for larger version  Name:	e85 z4 arms.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.0 KB ID:	10080848

Part numbers 22116769321 and 22116769322.

Comment

Huh, the 2006-2008 2.5 and 3.0 both had the N52, so weird that they would have different mounts

I ordered 22116769321 for 2006-2008 Z4 3.O si

Comment

That 2.5 above is M54.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                        Thanks.

They're kinda rare on ebay but widely available new, just checked ECS tuning and they're about $180 for the set, 321 & 322.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation guys!

Comment

Hello N-swap experts!
                            I'm in process of coming up to speed on details for N52 swap into E30. Currently removing N52 engine, manual trans, etc from crashed E90.
                            Regarding engine mounts... What are the pros/cons of using Frank's (Garageaholic) mounts for engine and trans?
                            That was going to be my solution. Reassessing with these posts on Z4 options.
                            1989 325i Bronzit Coupe with manual conversion

Comment

Originally posted by derber38 View Post
                              Regarding engine mounts... What are the pros/cons of using Frank's (Garageaholic) mounts for engine and trans?
                              That was going to be my solution. Reassessing with these posts on Z4 options.
                              They look like good quality. The pro is that they're immediately available and they use a readily available M20 mount.

Only question for me would be how the engine position compares to the Z4 mount arms but I suspect its probably really close.

Go for it!

Comment

Working...
                              X