Ways to Strengthen the AWD Drivetrain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cscracker View Post
    I have to second that as long as you don't rag on it too much, this really shouldn't be an issue. People have built 1000whp+ turbo iXs, and as mentioned, there's not a lot of strengthening options. For a street car, don't put ridiculously large/sticky tires on it, and avoid hard launches, and you should be fine. On the other hand, if abuse and hard launches are your goal, then you might be looking into full AWD drivetrain swaps or other custom solutions (read: $$$$).
    I drive like an old man now *cough* - but I beat the shit out of the ix with an M20 in the past. I never met an autocross starting line that didn't deserve a sidestep-clutch-dump-at-redline launch. But maybe that's why I think some of these "I want 10000hp because bigger numbers" posts are silly. I could do those launches hundreds of times with a sub-200hp M20, and I still run the same drivetrain today. But with these fantasy high power builds (which are likely useless in reality) I could have done that maybe 10 times.. not quite as much fun in reality.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

RSX parts arrived yesterday, just waiting on a few more things to come in from schmeidmann and ecs before sending my front diff in for rebuild at a local differential shop. Only thing I'm worried about is that I couldn't find a few of the shims listed in realOEM, so I'm hoping the diff shop can make it work.

Comment

Front diff rebuilt by diff shop with the RSX part for about 650 with me supplying the parts. I've talked with the guy that made the "Finland Fix" front drive shafts; he has none left, doesn't know when he will be producing more, and won't provide measurements or a CAD file for me to have some made for my car. Does anyone have one of the extended drive shafts I can purchase or leads on others I can talk to about having something like that made?

Comment

X5 guibo conversion will gain a bit of depth for now.

Comment

+1 to doing the X5 guibo/centering pin, or using a driveshaft spacer - if your splines are still in good shape.

Otherwise, there are half a dozen iX specific facebook groups that Juuso sold those spline upgrades in. Maybe someone didn't use one.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

We are currently in the middle of a stroker-turbo build. I've been searching from forum to facebook group for any reliable answer to this question, the common option I've seen seems to be an e34ix hardware swap, which takes a lot more to link with the m20 than just the front differential. Anyone on here done that before that can weigh in on this?

this is a great thread on the subject
              3.1L turbo ix

Comment

You're going to need like $5,000 in unobtanium parts to make the 525ix stuff happen.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Alekos View Post
                  We are currently in the middle of a stroker-turbo build. I've been searching from forum to facebook group for any reliable answer to this question, the common option I've seen seems to be an e34ix hardware swap, which takes a lot more to link with the m20 than just the front differential. Anyone on here done that before that can weigh in on this?

this is a great thread on the subject
                  3.1L turbo ix
                  You need to wait dylhaus that he is get that front diff built, so can tell us more info that RSX update or you can go yourself for that and test it....
                  https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                  https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Originally posted by litu View Post

You need to wait dylhaus that he is get that front diff built, so can tell us more info that RSX update or you can go yourself for that and test it....
                    I have been in contact with RSX as well, waiting on them to send me an invoice. Definitely curious as to dylhaus' findings!

Update: I purchased one. The total cost ended up around 860 USD, waiting on shipping. When I asked Victor of RSX what torque it can handle, this was his reply:

"It is quite difficult to put a number because there is not a machine we can use to measure the max power/torque a LSD can hold and TBH, 40% of the sales of this LSD come because OE diff´s have blew up and since we developed this LSD in 2010, we have ZERO issue so far.

TBH also, we don´t know what engine power have our customer´s cars but we have a reference with a Spanish customer who fitted it 6 years ago in his 325ix with a 300hp/380Nm turbocharged engine for rally use and it is still working as the first day."

After everything I've heard from other ix folks, I'd have to guess basically anything is better than OE.
                    Last edited by Alekos; 07-26-2022, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Haven't been on the forums in a long time but stumped on this thread.

I put the full e34ix diff and axles under my m20 ix. The car makes probably around 700hp and is driven hard and I never broken a diff with years of hard launches and hard shifts from a dct trans. So the e34 parts are very strong and have been well tested.

However the e30 transfercases have been a different story and I've broken 2 of them now.

You need to make a custom oil pan to fit a e30 front diff under a m20 or just use a m50 and buy the 525ix pan. Then front axles require a little machining to fit the hubs.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
                        I put the full e34ix diff and axles under my m20 ix. The car makes probably around 700hp and is driven hard and I never broken a diff with years of hard launches and hard shifts from a dct trans. So the e34 parts are very strong and have been well tested.
                        Good to hear

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
                        However the e30 transfercases have been a different story and I've broken 2 of them now.
                        Intersting what have been broken, maybe you hard you so much, when i have heard they can handle big amount power/torque..

https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                        https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Having some issues with either the front diff I put the torsen from RSX into, or my transmission so I reached back out to RSX and found out they produce more parts for the ix:
                          • Lightweight 4.45kg forged chromoly alloy steel flywheel for OE type clutch @ 340€ shipping and tax excluded.
                          • Same flywheel as above but even lighter, just 3.7kg and specific for 7.25” racing clutch kits @ 395€ shipping and tax excluded.
                          • 7.25” single disc racing clutch kit(flywheel + full clutch + special metallic release bearing) @ 975€ shipping and tax excluded.
                          • Straight cut, synchromesh close ratio gear kit @ 1.990€ shipping and tax excluded.
                          • Rear 188mm Torsen LSD @ 895€ shipping and tax excluded.
                          • Rear 188mm Plated LSD @ 1.015€ shipping and tax excluded.
                          ​They look like they could be made to order as they're not currently kept in stock, but at least they're available.

Comment

Working...
                          X