X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sebbe
    replied
    Maybe i can make the right axle fit by shortening the carrier bolted to the sump? As long as the total axle lenght is almost the same. The left E46 axle should be 605mm total lenght and right 926mm. Im going to measure the E34 axles tomorow. The track width is very similar, so im guessing axles will be close as well.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Yeah I think you're right about the left axle, a least the E34 and X5 axle that goes into the diff is the same.

Leave a comment:

• Sebbe
    replied
    Part nr. 2, 3 and 4 on the control arm has the same part number, unfortuneally, the ball joint nut is M12 on the E46 and M14 on the E34, so i guess my best guess is to use the E46 control arm if they are the same dimensions. Or replace the ball joint with one from RWD E36/E46, i ordered one a couple of dayd ago, as my left balljoint is bad, but i guess it wont fit the E34 spindle then, hopefully it fits the control arm. The shock nuts are both M14, so hopefully the E46 shocks with fit the E34 top mount. I saw some pictures of axles earlier in this thread, and if i recall corectly the left axle should fit, but the part that goes through the sump on the right axle is a bit short? I found a wrecked 330xd, hopefully i can get some parts for cheap.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    I think nr 4 on the control arm picture is the exact same part on E34 and E46.

Leave a comment:

• Sebbe
    replied
    I have an E34, and i think the design is very similar to E46, i understand E30 is different.

This is for the E34

And this is the E46

I know the manual is not going to help me, i only bought it out of curiosity. It was supposed to arrive in the mail today, but its not here yet, i will scan and upload it as soon as i get it.

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    Originally posted by Sebbe View Post
    Im wondering if anyone ever compared E46 xi spindles to E34/E30 hubs, are there major problems with using E46 spindles and struts on a E30/E34? It would seem that if it fits, it would make it a lot more serviceable, at least cheaper shocks, CV axles(if anyone fits) and brake components.
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    Pretty sure flyboyx did - none of it worked.
    I can save you a lot of time and heartache. There is nothing on an e46 axle that will come anywhere close to working on an e30. I took an e30, an e34, and an e46 axle apart side by side. What a waste of time it turned out to be other than being able to keep those coming after me from making the same mistake. Your best bet is e34 parts or nothing.

I have e34 axles too. No e46 axle parts will work there either. I'd like to see the contents of your manual, but it isn't going to help with this project.

They are a completely different design.
    Last edited by flyboyx; 06-13-2016, 11:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    It might work on a E34 with some mods.
    I'm interested too in some specs :)

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    I'm interested

Leave a comment:

• Sebbe
    replied
    On an E30? I have an E34, could that be more similar to an E46? Or what about using only the hub?

I also ordered an 525ix shop manual off ebay.de, its 19 pages of 4WD specific info. I could scan it and upload it if anyone is interested? Its in german, but i plan on translating it.
    Last edited by Sebbe; 06-11-2016, 03:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Pretty sure flyboyx did - none of it worked.

Leave a comment:

• Sebbe
    replied
    Im wondering if anyone ever compared E46 xi spindles to E34/E30 hubs, are there major problems with using E46 spindles and struts on a E30/E34? It would seem that if it fits, it would make it a lot more serviceable, at least cheaper shocks, CV axles(if anyone fits) and brake components.
    Last edited by Sebbe; 06-10-2016, 05:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Lots of newer xdrive components fit between different models, same front diff is used on 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, x3 and x4 for example.
    Same oil pan on ex 5, 6, 7 35xd and 45xd and i even think a x6m front diff fits on a 520xd pan.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    I have one, looks the same..

Leave a comment:

• Eskie
    replied
    Well the oil pan I took a pic of us from an x5. I'll take a pic of a 3 series next time we see one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    I dont know but none of them have the diff far enough back to fit the E30.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X