Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uh, no, the weight reduction is *significant*. the N52 is even lighter than the M54 - it's like 150lbs less than the S54. the cams alone weigh 1/4 of what the S54 cams do (they are hollow!). Magnesium aluminum block, aluminum bolts, everything is optimized for weight.

plus, it pisses all over any M5x motor in power/torque.

I already have a CF hood..

even if I did stick to the S54, I would have to use the E34 parts and I'd have to modify the firewall. and the booster would definitely not fit.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

must consider s54 has extras;)

even without its itb and intake it is still a beast. Besides all roads lead to boost and s54 is solid. I'm sure the s54 ecu is just as fast too.

Comment

boost - meh. I'd get an N54 :p

no, MSS54 is positively ancient. MSV70/80 piss all over it. the S54 powered Z4M used MSS70 which is the same as MSV70 without valvetronic.

anyway, this isn't a motor vs motor thread. I just want to hear from Nisse on modifying the firewall! :)
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          Thinking about this some more. I'm still considering trying to use some of the E34 parts. I'd have to push the engine into the firewall by about 2", but that would actually help some as the radiator clearance will be super tight otherwise. I did some measuring last night and there'd be maybe 1/2" clearance to the stock E30 radiator. I'd like to run a Z3M radiator for some more cooling, which I don't think will fit with the engine in the stock M20 position.

I still wish there was something shorter than 3.38 but at least it would be better with the Getrag 260 than the ZF. And I'd get to use the stronger E34 CV shafts that I already have. It's possible I could have a different ring and pinion machined into the E34 diff case. I just can't do it myself.

who's pushed an engine into the E30 firewall? Nisse? how hard was it and how many things did you have to modify?

Also, I think I might be able to keep the stock ix booster but only if I go with the custom intake manifold I'd like to build. I might just go for it rather than wasting time/money coming up with a manual setup or hydroboost etc. I'm not sure I'd be happy with either one. I'm still going to run the MK60 DSC setup though.
          Yeah the space between the engine and radiator is great :) Its ~10cm between the M50 valve cover vanos bulge and the rad. (M535 E28 )

Im in on a diffrent gearing solution in the front diff!

Its not that hard, but its really tight! I think you have to use really hard rubber engine mounts or delrin (like i do)
          You have to beat the firewall a bit behind the head and above the gearbox, cut and weld behind the valve cover and mod heater fan cover. This is one of the tightest parts if you want to keep the stock heater core and fan. (which i wanted)
          Then you have to beat up the trans tunnel around the TC a bit, mostly to the sides and cut and weld on the drivers side in the tunnel.
          This is also right up against some floor reinforcement that i dont think you would want to cut into too much because the TC is heavy :P

Then off course custom rear drive shaft, motor/trans mounts and modified outer front CVs.

Im using the stock ix booster but i modded the spacer bracket a little so it mounts a little lower to clear the intake. (which is custom aluminum btw)

I can send some pics if you want, might have more than i have posted.
          Last edited by Nisse Järnet; 07-16-2015, 11:41 AM.
          E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
          E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

hmm.. that sounds like a nightmare lol. well, I think I'll keep looking into using the E30ix parts. It's just going to be really tight to the radiator. I might have to pick up the motor sooner rather than later so I can settle on the oil pan & diff.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Since the thread was brought back up, does anyone know if you could transplant e46 front diff insides to an e53 x5? I really want to use the e53 x5 oil pan since I'm basically using a M54, but I'm not 100% happy about the 3.64 ratio.
              My Garage
              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

also, the rear driveshaft should have plenty of room for adjustment. shouldn't it?

do you know how far back you moved it? I think it needs at least 2" with the E34 parts.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  also, the rear driveshaft should have plenty of room for adjustment. shouldn't it?

do you know how far back you moved it? I think it needs at least 2" with the E34 parts.
                  I replaced the rear diff u-joint with a CV joint (used on many E34, E32 models etc) so there is enough movement there, no adjustability needed.

I think its around 1.5" further back but im not 100% sure. And i have no engine in my rwd E30 at the moment so i cant measure right now :P
                  E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

1.5" sounds like the difference between the axle holes of e30 and e34 pans.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Its 2 1/4"
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Under the hood, the red area needs to be "modified" and from the red arrow its aprox 85cm to the back of the engine. (cylinder head)

E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

that doesn't look like an ix to me. did you borrow this pic from somewhere?
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                            that doesn't look like an ix to me. did you borrow this pic from somewhere?
                            I kind of agree, the strut towers look like they're too far forward for some reason
                            1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
                            1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Yeah I just took a random E30 pic, not mine :)
                              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by 6A LDY View Post
                                I kind of agree, the strut towers look like they're too far forward for some reason
                                The iX strut towers are father forward than the RWD ones, so I don't know what E30 that would be that has strut towers that look further forward than an iX's... :p ;)

It does look like a RWD body, though, as there isn't much space between the battery box and the strut tower.

HOWEVER, AWD or RWD doesn't affect the measurements that Nisse showed.

Comment

Working...
                                X