Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you or anyone else have a chance to measure the distance from the frame rail notch to the axle? (No hurry)
    E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
    E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
      No I meant the forward angle :)
      oh, because you pushed the engine into the firewall?.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        oh, because you pushed the engine into the firewall?.
        Both yes and no, the inner CV will touch the front crossmember if the engine is moved more forward :P (As will the pan and diff etc)
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Ok so here is my game plan. M52TU (with mods) on a e53 x5 oil pan, and of course using the 3.64 x5 diff. Also I wanna use custom half shafts using e53 inner CVs and e30 ix outer CV's. Custom U jointed front driveshaft that attaches to the x5 diff an 325ix transfer case. Clock the getrag 260 10 degrees and have an adapter plate made for the 260 and TC. Also I guess I gotta do something with the guibo there too? Then for the motor arms I'm just gonna modify x5, e34, e46 what ever is the closet.

Now I think that will all work (or be pretty freaking close), but I want you guys to critique it and give your input.
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Put a spacer on the TC guibo? And I think your better off building custom motor arms.

It sounds doable! Looking forward to see some progress! :)

BTW you might have to slam the firewall as well :P
            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Put a spacer on the TC guibo? And I think your better off building custom motor arms.

It sounds doable! Looking forward to see some progress! :)

BTW you might have to slam the firewall as well :P
              This is where I got the idea about the spacer:

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
              Assuming you have a stick... you can't do that. In a RWD car you can rotate the trans, mod the crossmember, twist the shift linkage and go.

In an AWD car, you can't rotate the transfer case.
              You can either rotate the transmission and make an adapter plate that rotates the T-case back down OR have a Euro market g260 from a 24V E34 520i shipped over and swap that case onto your trans.

Also, you need a u-jointed driveshaft to use the E53 front drive assembly with the e30 T-case. I don't think that's hard, just FYI.
              From the first post:
              Option 2:
              Getrag 5 speed manual.
              As mentioned above, the Getrag 260 used with the M20 will also bolt to 24V engines. If used with the original transfer case mounting, this will cause the transfer case to interfere with the floor pan.
              However, an adapter could be made that would rotate the transfer case back to its original position. This would involve spacing the guibo as mentioned above with regard to use of the E34 ZF rear case half.
              I hope I can start collecting parts here shortly, but I think it'll be a while before I start mocking stuff up.
              My Garage
              Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                Ok so here is my game plan. M52TU (with mods) on a e53 x5 oil pan, and of course using the 3.64 x5 diff. Also I wanna use custom half shafts using e53 inner CVs and e30 ix outer CV's. Custom U jointed front driveshaft that attaches to the x5 diff an 325ix transfer case. Clock the getrag 260 10 degrees and have an adapter plate made for the 260 and TC. Also I guess I gotta do something with the guibo there too? Then for the motor arms I'm just gonna modify x5, e34, e46 what ever is the closet.

Now I think that will all work (or be pretty freaking close), but I want you guys to critique it and give your input.
                Don't need a guibo with the u-jointed driveshaft.

No other mount arms line up, although E34's are somewhat close.
                The E53 sump is longer front to back than the E30 sump. The E30 sump fits right up against the back of the crossmember.
                This means that either there needs to be a new crossmember that moves the rack and ball joints forward (my choice) or push the engine back and cut the firewall (and trans tunnel, etc.) away (Nisse's choice).

Comment

you don't need to make an adapter plate or have the transfercase at a weird angle.

what you need is a Getrag 260 from an early E34 M50B25 car in Europe. They're pretty cheap. then simply build a transmission using that bellhousing with the rear case half of your ix transmission. 100% bolt on with no adapters or other weird shit.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Euro market g260 from a 24V E34 520i sounds like a good choice! I bet you can find one for 100 bucks here.

Another option to the front end problems is E34 ix subframe with control arms, or maybe mod a E46 xi front subframe since they are very similar to the E34 ix.
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

M50B20, right?
                      The B25's had the 310Z trans...

Comment

M50B20, right?
                        The B25's had the 310Z trans...
                        Yes!
                        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Don't need a guibo with the u-jointed driveshaft.

No other mount arms line up, although E34's are somewhat close.
                          The E53 sump is longer front to back than the E30 sump. The E30 sump fits right up against the back of the crossmember.
                          This means that either there needs to be a new crossmember that moves the rack and ball joints forward (my choice) or push the engine back and cut the firewall (and trans tunnel, etc.) away (Nisse's choice).
                          I was thinking about talking with you about the new crossmember once I'm home for the summer. I also have a z3 steering rack to see if you can make the e36 rack work.

Euro market g260 from a 24V E34 520i sounds like a good choice! I bet you can find one for 100 bucks here.

Another option to the front end problems is E34 ix subframe with control arms, or maybe mod a E46 xi front subframe since they are very similar to the E34 ix.
                          Okay wow, thats a lot cheaper than I thought. Does anyone have any idea what shipping would be like? If its not bad I might have to start looking for one.
                          My Garage
                          Feedback

Comment

Just did a quick search on a scrap yard page and found one for $75 :D

Störst på bildelar, reservdelar och tillbehör - nytt, begagnat och renoverat. Sök begagnade bildelar hos Sveriges bildemonteringar / bilskrotar och verkstäder.

I could probably find a cheaper one from a private seller.
                            The shipping wont be cheap though...
                            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

E46 xi subframe:

I measured on the E34 one and that would be pretty easy to fit, so the E46 xi probably will too! And if not its steel so easy to cut and weld :)

Im a bit mad i didnt think of this before doing all the firewall and trans tunnel work...
                              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                                I was thinking about talking with you about the new crossmember once I'm home for the summer. I also have a z3 steering rack to see if you can make the e36 rack work.

Okay wow, thats a lot cheaper than I thought. Does anyone have any idea what shipping would be like? If its not bad I might have to start looking for one.
                                I paid like $100 for the transmission and around $150 for shipping. it took months to get here, but it was worth it. think about it this way - anything else you do is going to cost just as much and probably won't be as good or as simple.

E36 steering rack won't work, wrong shape. E46 xi steering rack can possibly work with some subframe mods and an unknown combo of tie rods.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X