This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question

Alright i have some questions on this for going with a 24v swap.

If I am able to get the euro 260g case i can use the stock driveline minus the e30 ix front dif. it will have the proper angle to clear the break booster. The oil pan will even be at the right angle for the half shaft, minus interfering with the steering rack.

The e34 front diff, is a different ratio then the rear so it would have to be swapped, but not a big deal. From my understanding they have the same spline count, and the e34 dif mounts in the same position so it would let me reuse the e30 ix half shafts.

This would maintain the stock brake booster location, angle for the half shafts, and retain most of the original drive line.

so the needed bits would be:
    24v motor mounts like an e28 m5 mounts, or something like revshifts with e36 brackets (maybe e34?).
    m50 engine.
    e34 oil pan (to be notched to clear the steering rack)
    e34 front diff
    matching rear diff gearing or use a z3 gears in the e34 dif to match the original rears
    euro 260g transmission case pn: 23111228301 to go on the front end of the stock transmission

am i missing anything? it seems like a few people have done this but have done quite a bit more than what is needed for just an m50 swap.

or i suppose if you wanted to modify the e30 ix oil pan for the 10 degree change, that would allow someone to keep the origional e30 ix front differential. it would have to clear the steering rack and have to allow for the changed angel of the half shaft. As long as the mounting compensated for the 10 degree change, and cleared the needed part, it would mount in the stock location. That would work as well..I think.
    Last edited by onlyindef; 12-28-2017, 03:56 PM. Reason: thought about the m20 oilpan.

Comment

Oy...

Originally posted by onlyindef View Post

so the needed bits would be:
      24v motor mounts like an e28 m5 mounts, or something like revshifts with
      e36 brackets (maybe e34?).
      No, custom mount arms

e34 oil pan (to be notched to clear the steering rack)
      No, it's the diff, not the oil pan that runs into the steering rack.

use a z3 gears in the e34 dif to match the original rears
      Unless you've seen someone do it, we don't think that will work either

euro 260g transmission case pn: 23111228301 to go on the front end of the stock transmission
      BMW ran out, so you'll need to get one from a junkyard transmission in Europe.

am i missing anything? it seems like a few people have done this but have done quite a bit more than what is needed for just an m50 swap.
      The few people who've done it have either built a franken pan using the stock iX pan to run the 24V engine at M20 angle or carved up the firewall in order to fit the E34 pan between the iX rack and the firewall.

or i suppose if you wanted to modify the e30 ix oil pan for the 10 degree change,
      That would be ridiculously complicated fabrication.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
        Oy...

No, it's the diff, not the oil pan that runs into the steering rack
        Actually the E34 pan hits the rack before the diff, but notching the pan won't help since inner CV and the diff then will interfere with the rack instead.
        E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
        E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
          Actually the E34 pan hits the rack before the diff, but notching the pan won't help since inner CV and the diff then will interfere with the rack instead.
          Right... the diff is the thing that can't be fixed ;)

Comment

2.47 front diff from E46 330xd purchased. Just asked the seller if he has the 2.47 rear as well.

I'll compare to see if these gears will go into the E53 case. If so, that will work out great. I'll throw a Quaife in while I'm at it and have an immensely expensive front diff!

Comment

2.47 is awfully high. why not something around 3.00?
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Because the S62 should have the torque to pull top gear in a light car and get great mileage.

LS1 Camarobirds have a 0.50 sixth and 3.42 final, so even a little taller overall ratio with taller tires in a heavier car with an engine that probably doesn't make as much low end torque and they cruise fine on the highway in 6th.

Also, I've been told the E39 M5 is geared stupid low with a 3.15 rear. A friend of the guy I bought my engine from said he went to a 2.65 and was very pleased with how much calmer the car was on the highway. He regained lost acceleration with headers, ported throttles and bolt on mods.

In the available front diffs, it's either 2.35, 2.47, 2.93 or 3.07. I think 2.93 would still be shorter than I'd like.

And the GS6-53BZ still has a 4:1 first, so I'll have plenty of punch off the line.

I have the 3.07 E53 unit... it looks like it actually uses the same case as the 3.64 domestic unit. I'll compare the 2.47 E46 front with the 3.23 domestic unit I have so see if they use the same case, then I'll look at installing the 2.47 in the E53 case. If that works, I'll snag a Quaife for it and have a stupidly expensive front diff.

The M20 has an incipient rod knock.
                200k miles on it... BMW small sixes seem to be unkind to their rod bearings.
                Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 01-11-2018, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Interesting :)
                  E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                  E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                  E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike
                    I’m sure this has been covered but just Incase. I have a local buddy building a 325iX s54 with some cool drivetrain setup. I’ll post pics soon. He’s just starting to build the pan.

E83 3:64 diff
                    E83 diff lower pan
                    S54 pan
                    E83 inner stub,e60 center shaft/ outer stubs
                    E46 rear hub
                    4 month production G260 from 520i with iX rear cover. Matches the angle of the S54
                    Got any measurements on that E83 pan? Is he going to use E30 ix hubs?

edit: NVM - axle centerline looks pretty much the same as all the other late model BMWs (much too far forward). Not an S54/M54, but the N52 X3 pan is a different part number but looks pretty much identical to the E60/E90 version. Bummer.
                    Last edited by nando; 01-31-2018, 10:52 PM.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Turns out it isn’t ok with him for me to post the info on this swap yet, wants to make sure it works first. Sorry
                      Last edited by Chrisbike; 02-03-2018, 10:48 PM.
                      Build Thread
                      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
                      Parts Thread
                      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

unfortunately, it sounds like we won't be hearing about it.

sounds like a nice collection of parts though
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

The iX crossmember weighs 17 lbs.

Comment

Since my iX needs new rod bearings, which requires removing the crossmember, I'll take that opportunity to test some features of my swap crossmember.

I'll check that the swap crossmember bolts to the body, has engine mount points correctly located and moves the rack forward the desired amount. Moving the rack *MAY* interfere with the part of the oil pan that shrouds the oil pump chain drive... hard to tell until I do it.

I was ALSO wondering about the possibility of mounting an E36 M3 rack on my bespoke crossmember... But pictures on the internet make it look like it's likely too thick in the middle to fit under the iX oil pan (or E34 oil pan or E53 oil pan...), although that would be fun. The E36 rack also can't be rotated, which is something I expect I'll need for the iX steering rack to be used with the E53 FDA.

Comment

Comment

looking like a good start
                                318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                                '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Working...
                                X