325ix power steering pipe leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325ix power steering pipe leak

My '88iX is spraying power steering fluid out of a pipe that goes along the top of the rack. I have a spare rack, but I'd rather not break it down since it is complete. Are these pipes available anywhere?

I barely drive this but I want to drive it this weekend. I put just over 1000 miles on it since October, 2014.

Thanks for any help here!
    FS NY: two Audiobahn A235HC amps and audiobahn 1farad capacitor
    Saab/GM tech2 programming
    My for sale thread
    1990 325iX for sale or part out
    Did you buy something from me? Please leave feedback!

Originally posted by K20RI_211
    And I have to ask if you make a hobby out of thread-bombing with retarded questions?

I don't think so, not that I've ever seen anyway.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Cut the belt for the PS pump, disconnect the hoses and cap the rack banjo bolts. You can delete the PS and fix it later.

Sent from th
      sigpic
      1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
      I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Can you just cap the bolts? I thought there needed to be fluid passage from one side to the other as you turn it? That's why people sell the PS delete plates.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Not sure on that detail. My car came with an e36 rack swapped in with a delete plate.

Sent from th
          sigpic
          1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
          I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

I'm not sure that will work. that pipe doesn't connect to the PS hoses, it's like a bypass line or something for the rack. It will probably still leak although not as badly if you disconnect the hoses.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Maybe... MAYBE... clean it really really really well. Coat everything in a thin coat of that blue gasket sealer. Get a 2" piece of fuel or heater hose or whatever. Give it one cut longitudinally so you can slip it over the metal pipe. Give the inside a thin coat of the hose a coat of blue gasket sealer again. Use 3 hose clamps. 2 on the ends and one right over the pinhole leak.

Let it sit for a few hours before turning the wheel or whatever. Maybe it'll hold. Maybe you'll waste an hour.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Cant you just replace it with a brake hard line?
                E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

The way that's leaking, it's a pressure hose. Sealer won't cut it.

Just take the belt off. It'll suck for a weekend, but then you can order a new pipe.

Number 2 in this diagram, maybe?

Comment

No, the pipe that is leaking is part of the rack.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Brake hard line? :)

E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Oops big picture..
                        Edit: Made it smaller..
                        Last edited by Nisse Järnet; 04-02-2016, 06:28 AM.
                        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

thank you for that picture! I was just about to take pictures of my spare. I don't want to drive this to my shop so hopefully I can get to it on ramps. Or maybe I can remove the PS belt for the drive to the shop. Its supposed to snow here tomorrow so sometime this week. I'll update when I work on this.
                          FS NY: two Audiobahn A235HC amps and audiobahn 1farad capacitor
                          Saab/GM tech2 programming
                          My for sale thread
                          1990 325iX for sale or part out
                          Did you buy something from me? Please leave feedback!

Originally posted by K20RI_211
                          And I have to ask if you make a hobby out of thread-bombing with retarded questions?

Comment

Can't help with a replacement pipe, but if you want to send me the old one when you have it off I could make you a replacement - I have one of those nice (aka expensive) MasterCool hydraulic flaring tools that I'm trying to justify the cost of.

Don't want any money other than shipping and tube cost (unless you have a length you can send).

Comment

Minor thread redirection -

I too have a leaking and old (200,000+mile) ps system in my 88 iX, although not from the rack. Anyone have experience with a proper ps delete on an iX, which would entail removing all unnecessary parts and use a fancy plate to loop the fluid? I understand the potential challenges of parking...

So: replace all of the things, (reservoir, lines and rebuild/replace pump) or remove all of the things. Thanks for the input :pimp:

tk
                              Last edited by tk32; 04-09-2016, 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling..
                              Current State: '88 iX
                              Two Doors, Three Pedals

Comment

Working...
                              X