Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by htown318is View Post
    non-premium sound car

+

Infinity Reference 1262w 12-Inch 1200-Watt

+

Planet Audio AC1800.5

+

E3012 Lukebox

+

????

= WIN ?!
    Absolutely...that combo is one I have done several times, it is incredible.

Was that your 12" E30 box that went out yesterday?

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
      Picture of a gutted seat? How far do you guys cut out the foam? I have a Weller soldering gun with a hot knife attachment that seems to be perfect for the job.

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
      Hot knife would be messy and smell bad. A sharp serrated bread knife or electric turkey carving knife works much better. Even a sharp utility knife works.
      I know there are some good pics somewhere, I will see if I can find them.

I have only ever tried using a utility knife, I just kind of cut the skipass hole and take out 2" maybe 3" over the whole area. I use kind of a "sheep shearing" technique and pull the foam back and cut under it, a few inches at a time.

I am sure there are smarter, cleaner methods..but the whole thing takes like maybe 5 minutes so I have never even thought about it.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Luke, I still have the foam portion that i took out. So putting it back with some adhesive should be bad. The flapping of the vinyl is just too annoying and ruins he bass completely.

Now when you say vertically, The ports opening would face the roof of the car? or Ports through the seats with openings facing the front of the car? A little confused about the orientation :) Even a rough sketch may help i guess. I have some PVc piping lying around that I could use. I should have asked you before gutting the seats out!

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        Rahul, you should port your seat. Find another seat if you must, but cut your foam down about 2" in the ski pass, make sure you don't go through anywhere and do 2 4" ports , try to keep them as short as possible to prevent interactions, and put them in front of the woofer, vertically.

Comment

Closing SOON!

Comment

^I was hoping the solution did not involve tearing into my Mint Tan Seats! Oh well..think I will get it to it when am finally sick of the vinyl flapping around..Thanks again Luke!

Comment

nope.. but I did just put a e3012 order in recently :D !!!

Comment

Yes you did and thanks, it will be out shortly

Closing SOON!

Comment

Luke, would it be ok cut in to the vinyl and stop so that the look remained stock? I'm just thinking about some poor kid having to sit on those... and if i did just cut the vinyl, you recommend cutting all the way to the vinyl, half way, or should i just man up and cut through it?

Comment

Originally posted by theycallmebrown View Post
                    Luke, would it be ok cut in to the vinyl and stop so that the look remained stock? I'm just thinking about some poor kid having to sit on those... and if i did just cut the vinyl, you recommend cutting all the way to the vinyl, half way, or should i just man up and cut through it?
                    OK, so here is the issue: there is a layer of slippery teflon-like plastic between the vinyl and the foam. It's just sort of plastic sheet, its no big deal, but it buzzes and flaps bad without the support of the foam behind it.

If you DON'T do what I said, meaning cut out ONLY 2" of foam all over the skipass, you will have a nasty rattle where the teflon feeling stuff rattles and flaps against the foam and vinyl....so, let me say this again:

DO NOT CUT THROUGH ALL OF THE FOAM

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

2" into the foam? Or 2" away from the back side? Front side? The side that you see?
                      Originally posted by Matt-B
                      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

i think what he means is to stick your arm in from the trunk and trace around the ski pass through onto the back side of the foam with a marker. then take the seat out, using a razor cut around that outline 2 inches deep and carve it out keeping it only 2 inches deep.

Comment

Originally posted by theycallmebrown View Post
                          i think what he means is to stick your arm in from the trunk and trace around the ski pass through onto the back side of the foam with a marker. then take the seat out, using a razor cut around that outline 2 inches deep and carve it out keeping it only 2 inches deep.
                          EXACTLY! Thank you, sometimes I have a hard time explaining my thoughts.

The chunk you end up with (you are a god of foam carving if it is only one and not 30) should be 2" thick. You can take a bit more, but the goal is 2" removed.

Closing SOON!

Comment

I'll have to try that...
                            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                            Originally posted by roguetoaster
                            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

got it all hooked up. took me a while to clean up PO's left over cut up shit that was still in there..

this thing sounds crazy crazy crazy. step out the car shut the door, youll never know the radio was on. open it up and get ready to step in, its booming like a nightclub in there.

im still learning how to tune this ac 1800.5 as this is my first amp powered system ever. not touching the bass boost based on all the scary stories I read LOL.

only thing that worries me is that my empty trunk gets hot.. so I can go in there and the amp is already warm to the touch after it sat overnight.. and when I ran it for a good hour.. the amp was really hot. I could keep my hand on there, but I didnt really want to.

I followed the guides on stock wiring with fader as best I could and made sure all the connects were solid.

is this normal? otherwise, this is the sickest sound Ive heard under 2-3k.

Comment

It shouldn't get hot to the touch. What subwoofer are you using and how do you have it wired? Sounds like an impedance issue to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X