Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikerob97 View Post
    So in general, sounds like folks like the stock premium sound speakers over other $75/pair price point speakers?
    That's what i'm doing. Considered getting new components but after reading what people have to say about the OEM premiums i'm going to give them a shot. pretty stoked for this set up.

Ready to go! :up:

bump for an awesome vendor and a great write-up.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Bump for a great write up, amazing service, and a magical product. The 10" Lukebox is inexplicably magical!

1986 325
      1988 325is 2.7 Stroker

Comment

So i put in my amp and am still getting buzz/whine. I moved the ground and it didn't make much of a difference, i made sure i scraped off paint. My power cable is running down the passenger side with my rca's on the drivers side. I'm running out of ideas.. Is it time to get filters for the system?

Comment

Originally posted by chad h View Post
          So i put in my amp and am still getting buzz/whine. I moved the ground and it didn't make much of a difference, i made sure i scraped off paint. My power cable is running down the passenger side with my rca's on the drivers side. I'm running out of ideas.. Is it time to get filters for the system?
          How's the ground on the HU? Ground the ends of the RCAs?
          -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
          08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
          318iS, slow build/garage queen...
          '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
          Originally posted by roguetoaster
          Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Tried using a different ground on the HU, no difference.

Grounding RCAs? May need some explanation on that..

Comment

Chad, it's a dirty old installer trick that doesn't always fix things on modern gear.

What he is talking about is putting chassis ground to the shield of the rca.

Grab a foot or two of wire, connect it to the decks chassis. Strip back the other end, start the motor, play the system and see if touching that wire to the outer ring of the rca fixes it. If it does, solder a wire to each RCA and ground them all

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                Chad, it's a dirty old installer trick that doesn't always fix things on modern gear.

What he is talking about is putting chassis ground to the shield of the rca.

Grab a foot or two of wire, connect it to the decks chassis. Strip back the other end, start the motor, play the system and see if touching that wire to the outer ring of the rca fixes it. If it does, solder a wire to each RCA and ground them all
                This.

I did this on mine and it got much quieter... I think I popped the pico-fuse business in my deck hot swapping the RCA's, I did that and it was much better. No more blower noise!

SO don't swap RCAs with the system on people!
                -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                Originally posted by roguetoaster
                Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

I think the cheaper gear means weenier picofuses, tiny little SMDs that just take the abuse.

All in all, yeah, turn it off before you unplug it

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

I just want to give a shout out to Luke. I can repair almost anything mechanical, but electronics/electric circuits not so much.
                    Luke spent probably an hour texting me, holding my hand (sorry blunt I still love you) and got me to the finish line. What seemed like arguing from me really was my ignorance about electrical things showing thru.
                    The result was sort of like starting a motor for the first time after rebuilding it. You sort of hold your breath and try to remember anything you didn't do.
                    Fuck me my sound system sounds great.
                    So here's to you Luke. Glad your moving to the harbor. Next drink's on me.

Thank you.
                    “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I think the cheaper gear means weenier picofuses, tiny little SMDs that just take the abuse.

All in all, yeah, turn it off before you unplug it
                      going to be picking up a buddies setup that followed your cookie cutter build for the most part. Only issue is that he has the sport audio with the factory amp. The car I will be putting this into is a 1987 325e with regular audio. Is there a DIY for a non-sport audio car?
                      2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                      (Daily Driver)
                      Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                      KW V2 Coilovers
                      VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
                        going to be picking up a buddies setup that followed your cookie cutter build for the most part. Only issue is that he has the sport audio with the factory amp. The car I will be putting this into is a 1987 325e with regular audio. Is there a DIY for a non-sport audio car?
                        I have got to get that done! Yes, it's actually covered in this thread, but I think I need to re-organize the installs, since there are 5 different wiring schemes in E30 alone

Closing SOON!

Comment

Yeah, the Premium Harness makes it easy, unless you were to do the "Classic" PCN, which would wipe out your whole budget.

BTW, killer deal on an amazing performing but absolutely hideous amp: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-MB-Quart.html

Closing SOON!

Comment

Hey luke, do you have any new suggestions for an affordable (less than $200) 5 channel amp?

Can't find the jensen 5500 anymore and that link to the amp above is discontinued :(
                            '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Ya, just hit any online vendor and look. There's an incredible deal on Sonicelectronix.com right now, a Powerbass 700.5X for 120 shipped!

Closing SOON!

Comment

Ya, just hit any online vendor and look. There's an incredible deal on Sonicelectronix.com right now, a Powerbass 700.5X for 120 shipped!

Thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X