Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
    Got the trunk tar out today and realized my IE rear sway bar mounts are going to interfere with the Lukebox. Anyone else have this issue? Really don't want to have to modify the box, but it's only about an inch or so on each side.
    No, they fit fine, I've done a bunch. Make sure the "head" side of the bolt is up and it's all good

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
      Got the trunk tar out today and realized my IE rear sway bar mounts are going to interfere with the Lukebox. Anyone else have this issue? Really don't want to have to modify the box, but it's only about an inch or so on each side.
      Trent,
      Yes, I had the very same problem. I was going to router out a shallow channel
      for bolt head clearance on each side of the enclosure. Instead of that, I went with countersunk allen head screws and countersunk them flush with the trunk floor.
      (Do one bolt hole at a time to keep alignment good)
      I also put 3M sealant under the countersink heads just because I am OCD.
      Got the bolts from these guys: Belmetric.com I think that they were part #SF8X30SS.

Stan
      Last edited by The White Guy; 01-18-2016, 04:11 PM.

Comment

So I just read through the first bit of this thread -

I have a 318i with stock sound and really want to upgrade + your box.

Best route to take?
        Founder
        TheDirtyThirty
        instagram.com/thedirtythirty

Comment

Originally posted by theTBLACK View Post
          So I just read through the first bit of this thread -

I have a 318i with stock sound and really want to upgrade + your box.

Best route to take?
          Contact LUKE @ G.A.S...

He will steer you right.

Stan

Comment

Originally posted by The White Guy View Post
            Contact LUKE @ G.A.S...

He will steer you right.

Stan
            Quoted for truth
            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
            Originally posted by roguetoaster
            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Just ordered my 10" lukebox for my m3, can't wait to get it!

Comment

i've seen mention of this Touring box here and on G.A.S. site... has anyone actually installed? pics would be great.

i have no doubts the sound is awesome since any open hatch is great for acoustics as i've had in previous cars but, unfortunately, at this point in my life i actually need the trunk space so debating how far i don't have to go to get a little low-end.

any other Tourings with sound setups and decent bass without a full box? underseat woofer or other alternatives? please describe.

thx.
                Last edited by mxtx; 05-01-2016, 09:37 PM.
                '89 E30 Touring, '85 911 3.2 Coupe, '89 GB500, '96 XR400

Comment

Originally posted by mxtx View Post
                  i've seen mention of this Touring box here and on G.A.S. site... has anyone actually installed? pics would be great.

i have no doubts the sound is awesome since any open hatch is great for acoustics as i've had in previous cars but, unfortunately, at this point in my life i actually need the trunk space so debating how far i don't have to go to get a little low-end.

any other Tourings with sound setups and decent bass without a full box? underseat woofer or other alternatives? please describe.

thx.
                  We are getting an E30T here shortly, with the goal being a completely hidden system, with the sub in the spare tire well, like we've done on a few E34Ts.

Get in touch if you are interested, but don't have any expectations of a time frame, this is going to be a damn long process, since the car is 2 hours away and currently isnt driveable

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                    We are getting an E30T here shortly, with the goal being a completely hidden system, with the sub in the spare tire well, like we've done on a few E34Ts.

Get in touch if you are interested, but don't have any expectations of a time frame, this is going to be a damn long process, since the car is 2 hours away and currently isnt driveable
                    sure yea, im interested. i have no expectation of timeframe just interested in what others do with their tourings for sound so it will be good to see no matter when. please update your progress, looking forward to seeing it. thanks.
                    '89 E30 Touring, '85 911 3.2 Coupe, '89 GB500, '96 XR400

Comment

Originally posted by mxtx View Post
                      sure yea, im interested. i have no expectation of timeframe just interested in what others do with their tourings for sound so it will be good to see no matter when. please update your progress, looking forward to seeing it. thanks.
                      Sure! Soon as our man in Portland gets his clutch issues figured out, it's coming up to us. He also just became a father, so he has plenty on his plate already.

Hopefully some good answers soon!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

So - after like 2 years, I finally got half of the crossovers and the LukeBox i recently received installed. (yeah there was an s52 swap in the middle there that I couldn't pass up so the audio got put on hold). Anyway, here's some pics...

Yes Luke, I'm still running the RMT 200 as a head unit... :giggle: :-D

I strongly recommend the dry-ice method to remove the trunk tar. Barely took 45 minutes. Just don't be too over zealous on the hammer otherwise you will dent the floor! I bought 10lbs but i think 15lbs of the pellets would be more sufficient to cover the surface.

Before:

After: the little white bits are pellets of dry-ice.

I went w/ the Infinity 1062W

Installing rear PCNs. Still have to figure out the front ones -there's not a lot of space in the kick panels and with the tweeters in the door it complicates the wiring a bit....

All tidied up!

Made extra sure the wiring's not going anywhere as this car will see the track again!

I also hacked out several inches of foam from the center area of the rear seat back. I was listening to Tool without the seatback with the engine off the other night. I heard a noise that i thought was something in the garage so i spun my head around. I laughed because I then realized it was the high toms on the drum kit. I think that sort of reaction speaks volumes about the quality of the sound and construction!
                        -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                        '95 525iT
                        '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                        '98 Disco 1

Comment

Geno, thats brilliant, thanks!

Closing SOON!

Comment

The StreetWires 4 AWG amp kit is only $18 on Amazon right now, which is the least expensive I've ever seen it. I used this kit when doing my install in Klaus and paid about twice that.

Originally posted by kronus
                            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                              Sure! Soon as our man in Portland gets his clutch issues figured out, it's coming up to us. He also just became a father, so he has plenty on his plate already.

Hopefully some good answers soon!

Luke
                              Luke - any luck on the SUB in the spare tire spot? No rush here but would be a great to have a hidden one in my vert.

Comment

Originally posted by piwko98 View Post
                                Luke - any luck on the SUB in the spare tire spot? No rush here but would be a great to have a hidden one in my vert.
                                Nope, Ive done too many, it sounds like ass in a vert, I won't touch it

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                                X