Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Favorite $30 Mod so far...(keyless entry)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone provide help regarding an Octopus unit ?

For the love of Zeus – I can find no information on what wire does what..

-----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

I had those aftermarket keyring style keyless entries in my E30 for ages but can't compare with my new E46 style key I made recently.
      Works like a dream

phone pic, sorry

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

Originally posted by cro320 View Post
        I had those aftermarket keyring style keyless entries in my E30 for ages but can't compare with my new E46 style key I made recently.
        Works like a dream
        What remote kit were you using? Where did you get your e46 style key?

Comment

Originally posted by cro320 View Post
          Works like a dream

phone pic, sorry

More more please

Comment

All you need is complete kit that includes two E46/E39 style keys, remote unit and some cables!
            We had group buy of these on Croatian bmw forum, that's how I get one...ebay is full of these, just check there
            Then you need to copy your E30 key and remove blank that you get with E46 key, that's a little tricky but any man that runs ''key'' bussines will make it in less than 15 minutes
            Now you wired it in car, it's a 20 minutes job and that's it..ofcourse you need to walk to your bmw dealer to pick up small BMW emblem that goes on key to look more extra for chicks:D

My friend made his recently and made some good pics, check these

1pic complete kit
            2pic blanks as you get them
            3pic voila! converted to E30 key

Hope it helps!

Comment

cro320 - the harness on your kit looks just like the harness I have !

Please help !

Can you provide information or a link as to what color wires do what?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post

Please help !

Hi Simon,
                I am not electrician, my friend wired that for me so I really have no clue what does any wire do.
                I can dig some instructions when I get back home and post it here if it helps

Comment

If you could - that'd be great.

Basically, the instructions I have show a bunch of lines from harness to car - with no color explaination.. and I can't seem to find anything online anywhere.. I don't know what wires to work with..

Comment

cro320 - Any links to ebay dealer?

Originally posted by vlad
                    Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post

Please help !

I have what I think is the same kit as cro320, from ebay seller jamsalman (united auto security). It includes a PDF installation manual, which I've posted up:

I ended up doing my install in the trunk, where the wire colors are different:

Green & Black - Lock - White
                      Green & Purple - Unlock - White/Black

Comment

Excellent !!
                        Thank you so much !

I need to get out to the shop and look at the unit harness again - but I think that's just what I was looking for.

Thank you again !!

Comment

Follow up:

United Auto Security harness ≠ Octopus harness

Like man - it looks the same - but it has different colored wires.

Jesus, how anyone could make/sell a product - then not provide information on how to install it is beyond me.

Someday - I'll have some free time, and I'll power it up and test the different wires with a light to get it figured out..

Comment

Purchased one of these, Installed it in about 25 minutes. Works great!

Installed by loosely following these instructions.

Comment

Figured I'd follow up with my experience with Rightclick.

They ended up sending me the wrong kit. (They told me to order a different kit but include in the order comments I wanted the BMW kit. I sent the order comment, an email, and even told them in my support ticket multiple times to make sure I received the BMW kit not the one I "ordered").

Anyway, I emailed them about the mix-up and they were more than happy to mail out the BMW style keys after I mailed back the keys they sent me. I sent them back, and the correct BMW style keys arrived shortly.

I just got it installed today and it works beautifully. The wire colors were identical to what's listed above, but the auxillary functions (flashing lights, trunk opening, window rolldown, etc) are slightly different. I just wanted keyless, so I pulled the other pins out of the connector and wired it up.

All I have left to do is find a place to cut the keys and I'll be in business.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
                              '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
                              '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
                              '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Where did you get your system with keys? (vendor name)

thanks!
                                Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

Working...
                                X