Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 Install - Modern features/retro look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post
    Hey guys, I am waiting for it to come in stock. Have you guys ever connected an iPod to the USB. I do see in the manual it says that it is compatible but wondering if music is recognize and what controls it has. My current Pioneer is Apple compatible but I just leave it on shuffle but nice to see song info on HU.
    Mine came in today from Classic Car Stereo and I just ordered it on February 1st. I was shocked when Fedex delivered it, I thought it would take a few weeks to get to Hawaii.

Unplugged my Continental and plugged the Bremen right in, even the cage is the same. The Blaupunkt is more flush than the Continental but I still have to get used to the buttons and controls.

sigpic84 325e

Comment

I wish these units sat flush..

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Me too. I believe the HVAC panel can be customized, as someone did it with the Conti radio. With the unit not being deep, there is a possibility IMO. I have a spare HVAC panel just need to get the radio.
        Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
        BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Yeah, thinking.. Man be cool to have and HVAC panel that accommodated all these mantel looking head units.. Sounds expensive.. Probably nobody would by them...

Maybe one day when everyone cracks their HVAC panel and we need a repro version..

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

man, i would be all over this...but why the mono channel for the subwoofer? that kills it for me. i love everything else about it.
            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
              man, i would be all over this...but why the mono channel for the subwoofer? that kills it for me. i love everything else about it.
              I must not be as much of an audiophile. Single sub channel has never bothered me. Does it really make that much of a difference if there's no stereo separation in the subs?

Comment

Originally posted by MoreMayhem View Post

I must not be as much of an audiophile. Single sub channel has never bothered me. Does it really make that much of a difference if there's no stereo separation in the subs?
                well, were this a cheaper, lower end unit, it would be "whatever" - but considering they're $500/US/each, yeah, i'm gonna bitch. it's certainly not the end of the world and i will probably end up buying two of them, anyway, lol
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

well, were this a cheaper, lower end unit, it would be "whatever" - but considering they're $500/US/each, yeah, i'm gonna bitch. it's certainly not the end of the world and i will probably end up buying two of them, anyway, lol
                  Ah, I see your point now and I agree. Also still going to buy one!

Comment

If I understand correctly, it's a preamplifier output. If you wish, you can connect a subwoofer amplifier to the other stereo preamplifier outputs.

Comment

Just ordered this same Radio for my 89 325ix. Should arrive in 3 days. It was a tossup between sourcing a working used original, having my unit rebuilt but that would take months (which I may still do in the long run), or getting the VDO Continental. Since I didn’t want to wait decided to purchase a new old school looking radio. Went with the Bermen SQR 46 over the VDO for three reasons. 1, the Blaupunkt was in stock ready to ship, VDO would take a couple of weeks from my retailer of choice. 2. The more OEM period correct looks, I didn’t love the chrome trim around the volume knob. 3. Probably the one reason that got me, the color can be adjusted to match more accurately to original dash lighting whereas the VDO unit cannot. Ended up purchasing from crutchfield since they had it in stock, was all most the cheapest on the web only second by $5 higher but offered free shipping plus no charge floating ground connector.

Comment

Originally posted by Max325ix View Post
                        Just ordered this same Radio for my 89 325ix. Should arrive in 3 days. It was a tossup between sourcing a working used original, having my unit rebuilt but that would take months (which I may still do in the long run), or getting the VDO Continental. Since I didn’t want to wait decided to purchase a new old school looking radio. Went with the Bermen SQR 46 over the VDO for three reasons. 1, the Blaupunkt was in stock ready to ship, VDO would take a couple of weeks from my retailer of choice. 2. The more OEM period correct looks, I didn’t love the chrome trim around the volume knob. 3. Probably the one reason that got me, the color can be adjusted to match more accurately to original dash lighting whereas the VDO unit cannot. Ended up purchasing from crutchfield since they had it in stock, was all most the cheapest on the web only second by $5 higher but offered free shipping plus no charge floating ground connector.
                        Cool! Let's see pics if you get it installed. I'm curious if anyone else who has installed one had any issues with the deck being able to slide back and forth, like I described in my original post?

Comment

Originally posted by Nate37 View Post

Cool! Let's see pics if you get it installed. I'm curious if anyone else who has installed one had any issues with the deck being able to slide back and forth, like I described in my original post?
                          I should have it installed by the end of the month. All that remains to finish my E30 (aside from some minor cosmetic exterior body touch ups) is installing this radio, speakers (which just discovered are shot), new hood insulation and finally an alignment. Hope its done by end of month. My mechanic is doing the install. I’ll point him to your original thread to inquire if he encounters the same issue. When its compete will post a picture.
                          Max

Comment

I purchased and installed one a couple months ago and updated the firmware at the time of install. It seems to stay on bluetooth streaming if my phone connects quickly enough and overall the quality is decent. You're definitely paying for the look versus the feeling of great build quality, IMO.

I used the preamp outs for my install and it all works well. My sub amp wants stereo input so I just split it at the HU without issue. The amp/antenna turn on is active if the unit is on so I routed a cheap switch to the glove box to control the antenna and did the same with a USB extension cable connected to the rear port.

Just as previously mentioned, it slides side to side when pressing on it, though not badly enough to make me do something about it so far. I was shocked at how shallow it is, which is awesome.

Calls with the built in mic are adequate though not great, according to my wife, which is good enough for me for this very much not DD use.
                            Last edited by netcsk; 09-11-2021, 08:04 AM.

Comment

you can fix the side to side, by pressing a few more tabs on the cage.
                              Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                              BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Resurrecting this thread...

Has anyone gotten one of these to install so that the front is flush with the HVAC panel? From the photos it looks like it sticks out ~10mm. I am wondering if I can 3D print a collar for the back side that allows the metal installation sleeve to sit further inside.

Also, can someone measure the length of the unit (faceplate to back of heat sink)? I am interested to know the installation depth.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
                                X