X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
    The E36 switch I got has 3 wires :???:

I guess i could just try experimenting.
    Huh. The one I got was just two. Maybe it's a signal type switch instead of a circuit breaker (supply a +12V or ground signal instead of opening or closing the circuit). In that case you might just be able to hook it up using the signal wire and the +12V or ground wire in place of the two wires, but don't quote me on that.

Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
    Has anyone integrated the e36 one touch module? I'll have to pull out my e36 manual and look at how crazy the schematics are.
    If it's doable, I'll probably wind up doing it. I do likes me some 1-touch windows.

Comment

The diagram is here

You'll find it on page 154. It really does not look too bad. From what I can tell, the module needs constant 12v, ground, and 2 wires running to each window motor.

The green base switches have 4 pins. Power, ground, window up, and window down.

I'll be on the lookout for an E36 in the junkyard with these parts intact.

Who wants to do a write up? :p

Comment

I'll do a writeup (when I finish my swap :p). I've got 2 green base and 6 small white base switches, figured out how the white base work, not that it really matters if you get the right module.

I've got the four door btw, would be really cool to hook that up and the sunroof too, if it's all one module.

Comment

So the early model E36 only had an auto feature for the driver's window it seemed and used a separate module for that window. The later ones had auto up/down for both front windows and auto down for the rears, all going through one body control module that operated power locks, windows sunroof etc. Here's a page on the body control modules used in later model E36: http://bmwgm5.com/ (go to the GMIV section) Used in conjunction with another module for the rear windows (dubbed the RMIV).

I'm reading more into it, if you can get one of these modules for cheap (didn't find any on ebay) you might be able to just feed it power and have it control the windows only. Maybe.

Edit: on further examination, it looks like the power window modules on the early E36 include the window motor, but the window motors on the later 4 doors (the 2-doors have the auto-crack function for when you open the door to accomodate the half-frame door = 2 more wires) look like they're "regular." Either way it's a lot of work, but one-touch windows are badass. May be worth it if you could find harnesses and a good place to put the BCM/RMIV.

Edit 2: Also looks like the BCM is part of an anti-theft system (not hard to believe), it might be more complicated than just feeding it power and ground to start it up.
          Last edited by Wh33lhop; 10-06-2009, 11:14 PM.

Comment

im not sure if it has been answered already but, i have a 4dr i got 2 white base switches for the front, i was wondering if i would need to get the rear switches from a sedan e36 to swap my rear switches? what about the switches on the rear doors themselves?
            Strategic Alpine Command:...sig loading

Comment

Wh33lhop: you can get aftermarket one touch window modules for 60/pair of windows.

Just google it
              harry/harout

Comment

Originally posted by bmw325csi View Post
                Wh33lhop: you can get aftermarket one touch window modules for 60/pair of windows.

Just google it
                I know, but if you could get a single module to control them all with E36 switches right out of the bat, that would be more awesome than universal one-touch modules, which typically can't use the E36 one-touch switches and just trigger if you press the switch for less than a second (significantly less cool).

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                  which typically can't use the E36 one-touch switches and just trigger if you press the switch for less than a second (significantly less cool).
                  Yep
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

anyone done this with green base switches yet? have a pair of greens here with chrome surrounds and wondering if anyone knows which wires do what to save me the hassle of breaking out the auto multimeter.

also planning to do the sunroof switch too but havent pulled the stock E30 switch out yet to see what the connection/wire setup looks like.. wouldnt think its much different from the windows if at all.

Currently E30-less

- EthosMotorsports.com

Comment

Hey Mr.Janderson,

can you update the pictures, if you don't mind :p
                      Originally posted by e30e
                      lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

we need some kind of DIY to rebuild the switches with LED light, or replacement bulbs, too many of the standard bulb for tehse are burn out. I cant find a suitable replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer_E30 View Post
                          Hey Mr.Janderson,

can you update the pictures, if you don't mind :p
                          Already mirrored here:

Comment

Very cool:)

Comment

i just did this mod i experimented my switches only had 4 wires and my e30 has 5
                              i also had two blue switches witch had 5 wires but i decided to go with the white since i always see white switches
                              i just plugged the extra cable which was brown to the same wire i connected the brown to and it works fine everything works and i gotta say its way better than stock e30 switches
                              :)
                              and they look nicer

Comment

so i finished my switches today and i am very pleased. i had 2 large base white switches which had the following wires:

E36 White Base #3:

Negitive (-) 1 - Brown
                                Window Down 3 - Black
                                Window Up 4 - Green
                                Positive (+) 5 - Red

here is how i wired it to the car:

Pin #: switch -> Car
                                Pin 5 :Red -> Green
                                Hopefully this helps someone else.

Patrick - IG:niicknac
                                RIP 1987 BMW 325is - S50'd ZF 6-speed, flared, bagged

Comment

Working...
                                X