No announcement yet.

DIY - E36 window switch retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am hoping someone can help me. I got 2 white base window switches out of the back seat of an E36. I wired them up and they light up, but do nothing. Does anyone have any thougts??
    84 Henna 325e - 88 Delphin 325iC -90 Schwartz 325is - 93 AW740iL - 01 Titan 740iLSport

Comment

Will these ones work at all?

Comment

Aren't those the one-touch switches?

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerman17 View Post
          Will these ones work at all?

no
          1998 528i auto on staggered DSII

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawkimpact View Post
            Aren't those the one-touch switches?
            yes

Comment

Originally posted by whitewatermd View Post
              I am hoping someone can help me. I got 2 white base window switches out of the back seat of an E36. I wired them up and they light up, but do nothing. Does anyone have any thougts??
              It appears as you wired them wrong. Did your power windows roll up and down fine before? If they did, there´s no doubt you wired them wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadea View Post
                yes
                Is there a way to make them work?

Comment

Most like the traces inside are too small and it will burn out eventually.
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerman17 View Post
                    Is there a way to make them work?
                    from what I´ve read, you can´t make them work without extensive rewiring. Some people have made them work. Don´t quote me on this, but apparently the uno-touch function is not controlled by the button (at least not in the E36) but by a window control unit that receives different signals from the switches depending on how long you depress the button. Or something like that. The larger white or blue base switches activate the window motor themselves, no control unit involved. That´s why they have much lower gauge (thicker) wires.
                    I haven´t even tried so I don´t know. The "auto" roll-up (or down) function sure is nice to have, but I´m fine without it. It doesn´t keep me up at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadea View Post
                      from what I´ve read, you can´t make them work without extensive rewiring. Some people have made them work. Don´t quote me on this, but apparently the uno-touch function is not controlled by the button (at least not in the E36) but by a window control unit that receives different signals from the switches depending on how long you depress the button. Or something like that. The larger white or blue base switches activate the window motor themselves, no control unit involved. That´s why they have much lower gauge (thicker) wires.
                      I haven´t even tried so I don´t know. The "auto" roll-up (or down) function sure is nice to have, but I´m fine without it. It doesn´t keep me up at night.
                      Ok thanks for the help, I'l see what I can do with them.

Comment

Zombie post:
                        so, there´s two kinds of bezel for the e36 switches? a flat one and another kind?
                        I have the ones I pulled from the yard installed and I cannot see anything wrong with them, or a difference with the ones pictured on this thread, for that matter.

Comment

You probably have the correct bezels then.

Comment

Can the OP re-up the pics in original post?
                            Evil image hosting site knocked them out, all.
                            Please? Big favor...
                            » PARTS FOR SALE
                            » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

http://strictlyeta.net/technical/e36switches.html

Comment

So I'm in the middle of trying to find the right switches, the green small plug switch won't work correct?

I did find 1 large white plug switch after 4 wrecking yards so if the green ones one work then I guess I will have to try one more yard to see if they have any more.

Originally posted by nwvb bmw
                                That guy is going to lock you in his basement and make you ware a little pirate costume.

Comment

Working...
                                X