No announcement yet.

DIY - E36 window switch retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering what I would do with the e36 switches. Now I know!!!
    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

I skimmed this thread, but if anyone is wondering... Radio Shack sells a light bulb that is easy to solder in to the switches.

I changed them on my large white base switches, not sure if it will work for others, but its a good chance it will. The bulb is not colored but it gives off a light, that when installed, looks good enough to pass as 'amber'

Microlamp #7219 12volt, 60ma

Originally posted by vlad
      Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by Hick View Post
        I skimmed this thread, but if anyone is wondering... Radio Shack sells a light bulb that is easy to solder in to the switches.

I changed them on my large white base switches, not sure if it will work for others, but its a good chance it will. The bulb is not colored but it gives off a light, that when installed, looks good enough to pass as 'amber'

Microlamp #7219 12volt, 60ma
        sweet good info. i just did mine and i need to solider new led bulbs. thanks.
        [PAKSIW]
        20D .........
        vmwerks :up:
        ryan gmw :up:

Comment

yellow base e36 switches wont work. i burnt them rightout .
          Originally posted by e30e
          lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
            I know, but if you could get a single module to control them all with E36 switches right out of the bat, that would be more awesome than universal one-touch modules, which typically can't use the E36 one-touch switches and just trigger if you press the switch for less than a second (significantly less cool).
            hmmmmm.... :p
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Red X's now.
              Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                hmmmmm.... :p
                You working on something nando?
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

just looking, I like one touch as well. The early E36 system is really simple but the "drivers window module" thing is a bit complicated.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Someone said that module is tied into all sorts of other stuff - would be a nice mess to sort out.

Anyone have e36 electrical diagrams?

Comment

the late module is more complicated, the early one would be easier to sort out, but only the drivers window would be one-touch.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        the late module is more complicated, the early one would be easier to sort out, but only the drivers window would be one-touch.
                        I assumed that it would be driver side only as well.

A 4 window one touch would be a vert owners dream.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

I think you could probably do it if you really wanted, but it wouldn't be easy at all. It's amazing how complicated the wiring got in the 96-99 E36! 92-95 is basically just like the E30, refined a bit, the late ones are something else entirely.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I think the other problem is that the body computer is rather large - or someone way saying that it was.

Comment

You can see the motor in the diagram. It's the little icon that kinda looks like a wrist watch and with a "M" on it. Now look at the entire unit. First thing you'll see is that the "motor" has 5 wires going to it, where ours only has 2.

Looks like they added the current sense resistor inside the motors rather than having them in the control unit. (?) If that's the case it won't work. No current sense on out motors so, it wont' work. (Unless you can swap motors too)

(They've also added a re-settable fuse - not sure if that is required. Our motors is missing that as well)
                              Last edited by george graves; 09-02-2010, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X