No announcement yet.

The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock E36 318is puller fan. Drop in replacement for my M42. :)

Comment

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
      Stock E36 318is puller fan. Drop in replacement for my M42. :)
      when doing that you have to cut your water pump thread where clutch fan mount to.

Comment

do you have to r3v the engine to recharge or can your charge the system at idle? my concern is the reving for automatic transmission

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
          If I use this upgraded 14" fan in front of the condenser, can I get rid of my aux fan/clutch?
          i'm using front 16inch fan,ac/cool my motor.
          Last edited by immajackuup; 06-15-2012, 10:21 AM.

Comment

also what's your temperature at idle?

Comment

Originally posted by immajackuup View Post
              when doing that you have to cut your water pump thread where clutch fan mount to.
              Uh you don't. I'll post a pic of my setup, the fan motor is left of the threads and a good 5mm at that. I've done everything I can to see if it will run into it, but all is good. The only thing that would be an issue is if your mounts are bad.

56 @95 degrees and 60% humidity just now from a 2 day cold start and sitting in the sun.

Comment

Uh you don't. I'll post a pic of my setup, the fan motor is left of the threads and a good 5mm at that. I've done everything I can to see if it will run into it, but all is good. The only thing that would be an issue is if your mounts are bad.

56 @95 degrees and 60% humidity just now from a 2 day cold start and sitting in the sun.
                I thought the same too but is still gonna touch later on with good or bad mounts.

Comment

any idea of possible aftermarket or later model bmw r134a compressors we can retrofit?

Comment

Originally posted by immajackuup View Post
                    I thought the same too but is still gonna touch later on with good or bad mounts.
                    700 miles in 5 days, no touch.

Take a look, it's offset. The engine torques to the passenger side so it will never run into it.

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                    any idea of possible aftermarket or later model bmw r134a compressors we can retrofit?
                    For a M42? Yes, Denso has a brand new R-134 compressor for our little engines. M20, you're SOL.

Comment

This project has been kicking my ass, is there any special way to take the hex bolts off that hold the lines going to compressor?
                      Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Have a hex key socket?

Comment

Yeah my dad took them with him today but I have it now. I actually broke an allen wrench trying to to loosen it haha

Edit, finished (minus getting charged).

Took me most of yesterday and today, however I ran into multiple issues that most people shouldn't. I was never able to detach the hoses from the compressor, but I took the compressor off and drained it with the hoses on.. I'm not sure what the hell is holding those bolts on but I stripped em, then came at them with vice grips and tore the metal off the outsides of them even with two days of being constantly soaked in loosening oil.. Said fuck it.

Overall it's a pretty easy job, I'll update this with temperature results tomorrow when I get the system charged. It's supposed to hit 117 tomorrow as well so it'll be a good test.

Edit 6/18
                          Went to shop, vacuumed & charged, just to find out my compressor is dying, and a PO had removed the high pressure valve (just a bolt screwed in...??) I got a little cool air but pretty much how it was when I got the car.. I guess the low side's pressure was staying at 60psi when it was supposed to be dropping down to around 25, and they couldn't measure the high side because I had no valve...

So I ordered a new compressor, Denso PN 471-1117. Found it for 229$ on Ebay, but I ordered it from an approved dealer (densoproducts.com which led me to sparkplugs.com) for 250$ shipped (coupon code DEN1NOE gives 10% off). According to Denso it is r134a approved and is a OE fit brand new compressor.

In for more than I bargained, but it'll feel good knowing the entire system is brand new. Hopefully it'll run really well with an r134a compressor as well. Hopefully it'll come in before the weekend and I'll have some results up soon. Til then, FML in this heat.
                          Last edited by Threehz; 06-18-2012, 02:14 PM.
                          Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Has anyone found a new R134a compressor that does work with the M20? Possibility of retrofitting one from the M42 to run on the M20? I am interested in the higher flow rate pump, especially when I am in hot places like central California.

Thanks guys,
                            Jason

700 miles in 5 days, no touch.

Take a look, it's offset. The engine torques to the passenger side so it will never run into it.

For a M42? Yes, Denso has a brand new R-134 compressor for our little engines. M20, you're SOL.
                            sigpic
                            "But the way it deals with bumps and heaves makes you think the shocks are filled with unicorn farts and pixie tears."

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                              do you have to r3v the engine to recharge or can your charge the system at idle? my concern is the reving for automatic transmission
                              Yes it can be done at idle, no need to rev the engine.

Comment

i've read that parallel flow condensors cannot be thoroughly flushed due to its fin style. how do you tell if one goes bad? does it not hold vacuum or the pressures are off?

Comment

Working...
                                X