The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the write-up.

Finished all fo the o-rings, drier, and expansion valve. Waiting on the condenser and fan.

What 134 fittings are recommended for the converted system?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by 95///M3 View Post
      Thanks for the write-up.

Finished all fo the o-rings, drier, and expansion valve. Waiting on the condenser and fan.

What 134 fittings are recommended for the converted system?

Jim
      Santech A/C System Retrofit Kit R12 to R134a Retrofit $15.75. Call (310)626-8765. May Qualify For FREE SHIPPING. Parts# 55 9807 901 55-9807-901 55.9807.901 559807901 780250080044 MT8004.

Comment

holy shit that a great write up. i just drained the R12 and refilled with 134a, and i can say that it has to be going 40mph to get the air flow over the condenser to work enough to tell.

i'll follow this when i have the cash to do it properly. thanks!
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Very good write up! Just what I've been looking for.

I plan on retrofitting AC into my non-AC euro car when it gets here. I'm thinking the hardest part of the retrofit is gonna be the wiring. Got any tips on that?

Nürburgring info

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
            Very good write up! Just what I've been looking for.

I plan on retrofitting AC into my non-AC euro car when it gets here. I'm thinking the hardest part of the retrofit is gonna be the wiring. Got any tips on that?
            What year E30?

You will need the HVAC unit out of an AC E30 though, but I bet you know that. ;)

Most of your wiring for your AC system will be on the unit itself except for the part in the body harness that goes to the compressor and pressure switch. On mine there was a wide white connector on the right side of the steering column that went to the HVAC box under the dash. If you're lucky BMW included that in all of the harnesses, if not it's only 3 wires to run.

Comment

freon pounds gluck??

Comment

Mini update on my system.

So I blew one of my compressor hoses on the way back from Dallas a few weeks ago. Looked like this:

So after I replaced the line with a new one, I went and had it recharged. The mechanic let me watch the pressures as he was charging. We ended up at exactly 28oz of freon and 51 psi on the low and 170 psi on the high for the pressures, not far off from the nominal pressures. Today it was 94 outside and my vent temp was exactly 40 degrees. It was quite nice. :)

Comment

Originally posted by immajackuup View Post
                  freon pounds gluck??
                  See above, 28oz.

Comment

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
                    See above, 28oz.
                    m42 cars have the same size system?
                    1991 318is ---230K - DD
                    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Yes. The volume in the compressor and different lines is negligible to the point BMW makes no note of it even in the official conversion document.

My E30 is a M42 powered car. ;)

Comment

See above, 28oz.
                        thx gluck!

Comment

We did a M20 powered car in the garage the other day. Janky ass rebuild ebay compressor was the worst of it. If anyone has a source for new M20 compressors posting here would be good.
                          CHEAP REBUILT INJECTORS

Need Quality Brakes? BimmerBrakes has it!
                          For anything Else go with BluntTech!

Comment

Thanks for writing this conversion up. I've got an eta and am replacing all of the lines. Does anyone know the difference between the evaporator to reciever/dryer line in the early cars vs late cars? The one for the early cars (64-53-1-380-094) is NLA. Is the location of the reciever/dryer in a different location?
                            sigpic

Comment

Doubt it. I imagine it has something to do with the charge fittings used.

Comment

What year E30?

You will need the HVAC unit out of an AC E30 though, but I bet you know that. ;)

Most of your wiring for your AC system will be on the unit itself except for the part in the body harness that goes to the compressor and pressure switch. On mine there was a wide white connector on the right side of the steering column that went to the HVAC box under the dash. If you're lucky BMW included that in all of the harnesses, if not it's only 3 wires to run.
                                Mines an 89 325i. I'll be scouring the junkyards looking for a HVAC unit out of a car with AC. I'm not too sure about the connector by the steering column. I'll have to check when I get the car back. I also noticed that I'll have to cut a hole in the engine compartment where the AC lines go into the cabin. There are no punch out holes there.

Nürburgring info

Comment

Working...
                                X