The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
    Assuming you have enough r12 in the system some other possibilities are a plugged expansion valve, weak compressor or air that has gotten in to the system which will make a recharge impossible without pulling a vac (and of course replacing the dryer). More r12 please.

This is my fresh Behr dryer and the sight glass is under the black rubber stopper that is dead centre on the dryer just to the right of the green HP switch. I didnt think I had one either til I realized that pried out.
    Your dryer is different from mine, I have a hex head (looks to be about a 6mm or so) in the spot you have the rubber stopper. I agree, I could have any one of/ all of the above issues. I have the gauge set, I haven't put them on the car to see where the charge is actually at. It could very well be a weak compressor, or a bad expansion valve.

When I push the a/c button on, the compressor kicks on, I can see it running, but it doesn't cycle on and off, its on continuously. I also don't hear the expansion valve open or close. The air out of the vents however is just a little under the ambient air temp with the a/c on. I was thinking it could also be the sensor that sits in the evaporator being bad.

If I can find a sight glass on the dryer I'll at least be able to see if there are bubbles in there from a low charge. Something tells me that I don't have a sight glass on mine however. I'm 99% sure is original to the car. (Yes it should likely be replaced, but I don't want to do that unless I need to open the system up.)

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

This is great, thank you for doing this writeup.

Anyone know if the Behr Condensor is a parallel flow unit? The Nissens Unit is on backorder from AutohausAZ so I just ponied up and bought the Behr one, but in the pics in might not be parallel flow.
      Originally posted by BillBrasky
      E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
      1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
      1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
      1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
      2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

Originally posted by BenM View Post

Anyone know if the Behr Condensor is a parallel flow unit? The Nissens Unit is on backorder from AutohausAZ so I just ponied up and bought the Behr one, but in the pics in might not be parallel flow.
        The Behr is an old fashioned tube and fin. I got this PF off of Amazon and yes, the pic they show is not a PF but what I received is

Ive seen enough pics of these that Im convinced they are all made in the same couple of factories and that they often use stock pics that are not the same as what they sell.
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Cool, I'll wait and see what gets delivered. That's a great price on amazon for it too.
          E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
          2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

So I stuck a set of gauges on my system yesterday and had a reading of zero on both sides (the car was off) Still ,the compressor kicks on and I hear a little gas escape when I put the gauges on. What are the odds that the low pressure sensor has died, but still thinks its got a charge? I was told the gauges had never been used. I haven't had a chance to try it while running.

Will
            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Man i need to do this
              sigpic
              E30love

Comment

Originally posted by BenM View Post

It definitely isn't. I made the same mistake, but then I called them before it shipped and they canceled it. I also ended up getting the Amazon one in the other link, it's parallel flow.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarian View Post
                  It definitely isn't. I made the same mistake, but then I called them before it shipped and they canceled it. I also ended up getting the Amazon one in the other link, it's parallel flow.
                  Cool, thanks for the heads up. I figured that was the case and ordered them one on Amazon. Good news is it showed up today! Bad news is that Autohaus already shipped the Behr one.
                  2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

So I've purchased a dryer from autohausaz and thought it was wrong, so I sent it back and reordered from Pelican. But they sent me the same exact one I sent back to AutoHausAZ. Can someone confirm if this is the correct dryer?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z35tqd8v47...712_113445.jpg

It was part # 64-53-1-466-051 from pelican. What they sent doesn't look like the one from the photo.
                    Click here to leave me feedback on our transactions. :p

Comment

I completed this conversion on my 91 M42 this winter, following Gluck's methods/parts completely. I also had a shop pull a vacuum and fill as per directed. I will say for the most part this summer in Houston I have often had to divert the driver's side vent because it was freezing my left hand, it was that good, until several days ago. In traffic here in Houston, with a sultry 97 on thermo, I had that familiar return to warm air wash over me in an instant. Bummer. Pulled into the garage to discover fuse #3 blown and no fan (clearly). As an aside at speed on the highway the A/C still blows frosty. Anyway replaced the fuse (30 amp for old and new) and It popped again immediately once I pushed the snowflake. I strongly suspect the Ebay 14" fan is kaput but can't confirm until I perform an autopsy. My question is has anyone else experienced such an early failure of the $40 dollar fan? Before I spend $140 on a Spal did I get a lemon or is it a case of truly get what you pay for? Also, could I have a deeper electrical issue going on here? All else seems ok. Thoughts? Gluck?

Comment

I had mine take my wiring harness out. Having that fan makes a difference for sure. Get a Spal and call it a day.
                        1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                        2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                        2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Can't wait to try this out, Thanks!

Comment

Ordered that PF Condenser off Amazon along with PAG oil and a 14" Fan. ordering the rest in a few. Hope to do this next weekend.

Comment

Anyone running the stock condenser with good results? I know it's not recommended of course. I am running an almost full converted system on my 91 318is, dryer, switch, evap valve, the oil and the freon. Aux fan resistor bypassed. 51* at idle circulating which is not too bad, 46* on highway
                              Originally posted by TSI
                              ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
                              OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                                Do the o-rings in this package match the part numbers provided in OP? I can't find any part number lists on pelican parts' site.

Also, how can you check if an evaporator is good? My A/C system has never worked since I've owned the car (bad compressor) and I want to make sure it isn't the weak link.

Really excited to get this going...
                                Order them from Autohaus. The kit is more expensive then the individual orings.

I would try flushing the evaporator just incase some trash ended up in there from the dead compressor.

Originally posted by poopin04 View Post
                                So I've purchased a dryer from autohausaz and thought it was wrong, so I sent it back and reordered from Pelican. But they sent me the same exact one I sent back to AutoHausAZ. Can someone confirm if this is the correct dryer?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z35tqd8v47...712_113445.jpg

It was part # 64-53-1-466-051 from pelican. What they sent doesn't look like the one from the photo.
                                It's a variation. There's an extra tap on there for some M20 powered cars with an extra pressure sensor. All is well.

Originally posted by av8drvr View Post
                                I completed this conversion on my 91 M42 this winter, following Gluck's methods/parts completely. I also had a shop pull a vacuum and fill as per directed. I will say for the most part this summer in Houston I have often had to divert the driver's side vent because it was freezing my left hand, it was that good, until several days ago. In traffic here in Houston, with a sultry 97 on thermo, I had that familiar return to warm air wash over me in an instant. Bummer. Pulled into the garage to discover fuse #3 blown and no fan (clearly). As an aside at speed on the highway the A/C still blows frosty. Anyway replaced the fuse (30 amp for old and new) and It popped again immediately once I pushed the snowflake. I strongly suspect the Ebay 14" fan is kaput but can't confirm until I perform an autopsy. My question is has anyone else experienced such an early failure of the $40 dollar fan? Before I spend $140 on a Spal did I get a lemon or is it a case of truly get what you pay for? Also, could I have a deeper electrical issue going on here? All else seems ok. Thoughts? Gluck?
                                I wouldn't be surprised if your resistor is calling it quits in the high heat. I had that happened before and it sent me chasing ghosts. That all said, fuse 20 typically blows if the fan is pulling too many amps ie: something wrong with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X