DIY-Independent Fogs with highs as well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY-Independent Fogs with highs as well

high beam write up is not quite ready yet, i need to double check a few things.
    This writeup was derived using basic knowledge and some help from

but is more general
    Do this at your own risk, I do not take responsibility for anything you screw up.

Alright this writeup will tell you how you can make your fogs stay on with parking lights and even high beams.
    Needed:
    -about 6 inches of wire (wont need it all but have enough incase you screw up)
    -flat head screw driver
    -MULTI METER (crucial as this write-up does not tell you exactly which leads to cross)
    -Drill and small bit/ soldering

This will work for all cars (as far as I know)

First locate your fog light relay (on my car it was k8 ) remove it, the flat head screwdriver is very useful for this.

Next use the screwdriver to pry you your low beam relay, and might as well go ahead and take out that high beam relay too.

PARKING LIGHTS

Alright now that we have all of the relays out go ahead and set your multi meter to dc 12ish volts, turn on your low beams(don’t forget to turn the ignition to on) ok now using a GOOD ground probe each of the terminals where the low beam relay was until you find 12v. Then you can go ahead and turn off the lights and the ignition to save your battery.

Alright now that we have our 12v source we can figure out what to hook it to, set your multi meter to continuity and check the remaining terminals of your low beam relay with the terminals for your fog light fuse, ie. Check each low beam terminal for continuity to each of the fog light terminals. Once you find one with continuity then you can turn off the multi meter and pull out your drill, with a very small bit just big enough to fit your wire through the hole it makes.

(Not needed if you’re going to solder)Alright take your low beam relay and drill a hole in the prong of the 12v source close to the top then drill a hole in the prong that has continuity to the fog lights again near the top, by top I mean near the box part of the relay.

Alright now that you have the holes ready strip one end of the wire enough to get through the hole and wrap most of the way around the prong. Now making sure you have enough length to make it to the other prong cut the wire and strip the other end and thread it through like you did the first one. Now replace the relay making sure not to put too much pressure down on the relay or it might short the leads inside the relay.

Now test to check and see if your fogs come on with the parking lights (this requires you put the fog relay back in, do it loosely if you want to do the high beam mod as it’ll have to come back out)
    Last edited by NC325iC; 09-21-2006, 03:34 PM.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

thanks dude. I just took some stuff apart today wondering how to get started one this. perfect timing dude. I'll post some pics once ive finish.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

my cars fogs, highs, and lows can all stay on together. Is this because its a euro model? or did my previous owner already do the wiring?

Comment

no clue, but i can do that to cause im amazing
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC
          no clue, but i can do that to cause im amazing
          This kid dont lie.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

i didnt see the part on how to keep them on with highs, did i miss it ?

Comment

nope, never got around to do ing it
              guess i should change the title

basically you do the same thing as before but with the high beam and foglight relay (again do it at your own risk)

Comment

I connected the prongs 30 and 87a(center post on my car) to get the fogs to stay on with the high beams. Turned out cool.

Jason

Comment

I did some modification to the back of the fuse block circuit board. It seemed much easier and it did both mods at the same time. No drilling required. I'll post pics later
                  First: 1984 318i
                  Second: 1987 325
                  Third: 1987 325is
                  Current: 1990 325i (Soon To Be 335i)

Comment

take out the one relay and take out the three screws

then break the connection on the circuit board with a screw driver or a utility knife. solder a wire to the spot right next to the break you just made. in my case i used a grey wire. this connection is located directly opposite the side where the relay was removed to get the screw out in step one

Last, connect it to the parking light wire which runs through the inside of the fuse box. you can use a test light for this or just see what color wire is going into your parking light.

Last edited by Spinning Tires; 02-09-2009, 12:12 PM. Reason: update links

Comment

I already did the pin 30-pin 30 jump to keep my lows on with my highs (I have euro lamps.) This keeps my fogs on when my highs are on, can I still get them to come on with my parking lights or am I out of luck now?
                      '89 325is S50 Track Montser
                      '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

if you do it the way i pictured it would work. from the factory the fogs are run off the low beam circuit. this keeps them from coming on with the highs and parking. the way i did it hooks it up to the parking light circuit. and since all your doing is turning on a relay which requires very little power to do. you dont have to worry about popping any fuses

Comment

i dont understand where the grey wire originaly gets soldered to, could you better describe this please?

i had sealed beams originally, rewired for smileys, and jumped two relays (pin 30 and 30 from high and low beam relays), all 3 can be on, but i cant get my fogs to come on with just the parking lights on..

Comment

you guys are doing this the extremely hard way

Comment

So which is the easy way ? I'm ready to rewire my lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X