DIY - All Red Taillights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
    I had my doubts of red tails on a red car, but it looks amazing. I'll admit that it looks best on white or black cars though.

do you have pics? I wanna see what it looks like on my red car.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospec View Post
      Forget paint when Red MHW's can be had. Look much cleaner IMHO--They'll be up for sale soon.

Werd, and then the corners of your taillights can be pink.

Comment

Here's mine. Yes, my car is filthy.

Easy, I really like it.
        Slicktop City!

Comment

How many coats did you use? They look like they match pretty well

Comment

I think I am going to have to do this with my eta.
            :: PNW Crew ::
            '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

I did the backup lights too. Now for the re-design of the brake/turn circuitry with 3 bulbs on each side. 1157's FTW!

Luke

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post
                How many coats did you use? They look like they match pretty well
                2 coats candy apple red
                2 coats clear

Admittedly, I did get a little trigger happy with the second clear coat, and I have a little bit of a run on one of them, but srsly, you have to be close (6") to see it. Driving/walking by, you would never notice.

Now for the re-design of the brake/turn circuitry with 3 bulbs on each side. 1157's FTW!
                How's that? What do you mean?

p.s. I also went ahead and replaced the taillight gaskets... I think I solved the wet trunk. You should have seen those 20 year old gaskets!!
                Slicktop City!

Comment

Originally posted by ldsbeaker View Post
                  How's that? What do you mean?
                  I do not like the brake/turn/running light setup on our cars. I want 3 1157's per side, until I do a full LED setup. I am going to use relays and diodes to control the brakes/turns, but using all 3 1157's on each side. New sockets in stock housings will help reliability, too.

Basically, 3 segments that are all the same per side. Just like an older domestic. 3 running lights AND 3 brake/turn lights will be teh secks.

Bright, too.

Just might do a neon tube at the top on the rear window as a 3rd brake light too...I dunno.

I need the space at the top of the windshield to put my pre-amp, so the DIC needs to go somewhere else. I was thinking I just might keep the indicators I care about (oil level, coolant level mostly) but just put LEDs in the dash, seperately. I dunno again.

Originally posted by ldsbeaker View Post
                  p.s. I also went ahead and replaced the taillight gaskets... I think I solved the wet trunk. You should have seen those 20 year old gaskets!!
                  I bet mine were just as bad...that is how the whole "refinish" thing got started. Water in trunk, trails down the inside.

Then my buddy Joe buffed the damn thing. Now I am repainting my valence and spoiler, re-painting all the trim and a full shadowline, now that my car is actually gloss black.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

I'm surprised I never saw this thread until now. Here's mine, they fucking rock:

Two coats of Testor's Transparent Candy Apple Red on just the turn signal lense, followed by 4-5 coats of automotive-grade clearcoat over the entire lens surface. Wetsanded with 1200 grit until perfectly smooth, then polished with Meguiar's Diamond Cut cutting compound.

One full summer in the books, and not a single hint of fading, oxidation or discoloring whatsoever. I've been told by several people that they're one of the best DIY reds they've seen, and Luke was amazed by how white the backup lenses are. :D

Comment

Can I send you mine and the paint?

Comment

No way. Way too much work to do that again, at least not for free. Besides, not in the winter, it's way too cold for paint and clear to dry properly.

Comment

You tell me when and how much. If not too much I will send em too you if you are willing to do them. I have the paint but if you want to I will pay for the serivice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post
                            You tell me when and how much. If not too much I will send em too you if you are willing to do them. I have the paint but if you want to I will pay for the serivice.
                            Dude, if Josh charges you a dollar an hour, it will STILL be $200!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Haha.. I will definately get springs first. I think he did a great job and a job that I could probably not do half as good.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                                Dude, if Josh charges you a dollar an hour, it will STILL be $200!

Luke
                                Not quite that much, but probably in the neighborhood of AT LEAST $100 to do another set like mine. I'm probably not ever going to do another set unless they're for myself.

But nothing is beyond convincing. If anything, it would not be until spring when the weather gets warm for proper painting temps.

Comment

Working...
                                X