No announcement yet.

Speeduino build for M20B25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very good info here, please sk8 tell us more from your experience about reliability and performance of the speeduino comparing to stock ( mpg, idle, power through the power band..)
    I'm intersted and on tight budget and this thread brought life to my projects lol.
    Subscribed

Comment

Originally posted by ADEN View Post
      Very good info here, please sk8 tell us more from your experience about reliability and performance of the speeduino comparing to stock ( mpg, idle, power through the power band..)
      I'm intersted and on tight budget and this thread brought life to my projects lol.
      Subscribed
      Reliability seems fine, no issues with the ECU so far other than it sometimes restarts when Im datalogging. I'm guessing that could come from maybe some issues with the computer connection or the Arduino itself. I'm using a cheap knockoff Arduino board.

Can't really compare to stock as far as mpg and power band goes. The standalone ECU won't increase performance any more than a chip tune would on a NA engine. ICV can be controlled by the ECU, so I can set it to idle higher untill it warms up.

I didn't stay NA for long so I never even got a great tune for it when the car was NA. Definitely nice having a standalone ECU with a turbo though, tons of benefits there over stock ECU. I'm logging fuel and oil pressure on top of everything else so that's really nice to have to troubleshoot if things go wrong.

Comment

Neat build. My interest is growing for a speeduino for my upcoming 24V build, because of the rather considerable expense ($1300+) for the PNP MS3 unit necessary to do sequential injection, which I am close to considering mandatory due to previous experience with having massive injectors. The really nice thing about the speeduino is that even if there were a reliability issue with it vs MS which I've been running in DDs for more than a decade, it's so cheap you can keep a spare ECU in the glove box
        Last edited by varg; 06-02-2021, 05:31 PM.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 3-17

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210918_212506.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.1 KB ID:	10031469 I am preparing this project for my m20 special thanks to sk8 for his support and help. But ran into a problem with no available ignition driver ISL9V5036P3. Btw, i am doing a stock single coil setup.

I have access to HGTP14N40F3VL out of the ms41 ecu but way lower amperage rating than the required driver (400V 14A),

Is it going to work like this without problems?

If not, I am thinking of using 2 HGTP14N40F3VL in parallel to run my single coil, So since Q1 and Q4 are sharing the same input from CPU, So by soldering a jumber between :IGN1.1 and IGN1.2 to combine the outputs from Q1 and Q4 and use the stock 55 connector output to coil.

Is it safe to do this?
          Last edited by ADEN; 09-18-2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Hi there,
            Need help with my 1987 M20B25 (early E30). I turned it to late E30 engine loom, damper, CLT, CID components in order to add a standalone ECU instead of a stock "173 ECU" and above all to delete restrictive stock MAF.

I purchased a RM Racing Electronics PNP ECU which is a "UA4C" speeduino (with VR conditioner and 3 bars MAP sensor included on PCB already).
            In the same time, I also purchased with a Wide Band sensor, an E36 VTPS (with support), a GM IAT and GM Flexfuel sensor.

At the moment, I just want to be abble running on atmo and Flex fuel setup. Wish one day to install a turbo set up next.

Engine running very bad. Doubtless in regard to a bad tuning on Tunerstudio!!!

Do you have any advises or ".msq" file using nearly like the best base tune.

Many thanks for your return.

Tini​

Comment

Using M50B25NV file as a start...
              1- Calibrate TPS, CLT and pressure sensor correctly.
              2- Changing ignition settings spark output mode to single channel, trigger edge to Faling and trigger angle to 256.
              3- Board layout as recommended by the board seller (most important setting).
              4- Control algorithm: MAP.
              5- Required fuel: 17.3.
              6- Injectors : alternating.
              7- Injectors open time:1 ~ 1.2ms.
              8- Enabling and Choosing 3 wire ICV.

These basic settings should get you to start it, Then time for tuning idle.

By reading and understanding how it works then fix problems one by one and tuning against target AFR.

If you have a problem please explain it and attach your file along with a log.

Comment

Hi Aden,

Will apply your advise ASAP and will report ;) All sensors calibration are checked.
                For the EGO sensor I refered to data shit given by RM Racing Electronics
                For GM IAT and flexfuel sensor I choose the rignt brand proposed.
                For CLT, I choose BMW E3 325i proposed because it still the stock one

I am wondering about 2 issues I have with my standalone.

#1_Fuel Pump doesn't work. Main relay, Fuel pump relay and fuse (N°11) are OK. On tunerstudio_accessories_Fuel pump is set as seller "board default".
                Continuty test have done on loom (between ECU header and relay port).
                When I jump Fuel pump on relay port (relay removed), it works.
                When I jump pin 3 on ECU header with ground (Fuel pump relay placed on her port), it works.
                I guess that the standalone ECU may have a problem and doesn't activate Fuel pump, but don't know why.

May VE table/ spark table/ AFR table do not fit well because of E85 added in fuel tank and also due to 328i injectors.

Required Fuel calculated is around 11.2 with caractristics as follows :
                - engine displacement = 2494 CC
                - number of cylinders = 6
                - injector flow = 250 cc/min
                NB : not sure that 328i injector flow is correct!!!

#2_ICV is set as 3 wires on Tunerstudio as follows :
                - Open Loop
                - Freq (Hz) at 92
                - Normal
                - 6.1ms

Sometimes it regulates idle well, sometimes it doesn't !!!

PS : I will attached my .msq file later

Comment

Steady Idle tip: In the idle area in both VE and Spark maps, Equalize all surrounding cells.See below Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen+Shot+2019-01-03+at+11.09.43+AM.png
Views:	341
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	10091103

Comment

Working...
                  X