Frustrating myself with deciding on a single or dual exhaust setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrating myself with deciding on a single or dual exhaust setup

I recently picked up a set of LT headers as the exhaust that's currently on there is garbage and the manifold flanges are warped and constantly leaking. Anyway, the headers join into a 2" x-pipe. I've tried googling every possible word combination to try to answer my question before making an account just to make this post.

Is running dual 2" exhaust from the x-pipe excessive for the M20? The current exhaust is a single 2.25" from a y-pipe right off the manifold and crush bends all over the place. Should I just cut the x-pipe in half and turn it into a y-pipe and run a proper mandrel bent 2.25" single exhaust? I know there's a bunch of talk about back-pressure and exhaust velocities and loss of torque etc etc but my smoothbrain is still unsure of exhaust diameter relationships and to me going from dual 2" into a single 2.25" seems to be too much of a neckdown.

However, the headers collecting 3 cylinders into a 2" pipe before the x-pipe seems excessive in the other direction, as I've read a bunch of posts about people running single 2.25" setups. I feel like I'm overthinking things and while I'm keeping the car relatively stock, I want to at least have my exhaust setup as efficient as possible.

All depends on how much power you are making.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

stock dual piping is 1.75". stock single piping is 2.5" pretty sure both flow a similar volume. if you run a single 2.5" you should be fine.

Comment

I'm pro single 2.5"
        Lighter, cheaper materials, cheaper/easier to fab. Slap a couple Vbands on it strategically and it installs and removes like butter.
        Ground clearance is no issue as long as you think through where the vbands live.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

2.5" tubing will have a CSA of 4.91" (area), 2.25" tubing will have 3.98", each 2" tube will have 3.14", or 6.28" for the pair. Stock area (1.75" dual) is 2.41" x 2, or 4.82".

I build a lot of dual 2" for the racing guys. True dual with an x-pipe at the center support bearing seems to work well all around. Not quite as much area as a 3" (7" CSA), but I can tuck the 2" completely under the frame rails in the front, up near the CSB in the center, and really makes a difference for ground clearance when going under the rear sub frame.

Here's a pic in an e36, but I do the same for e30's: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4n9fLtgqtr/
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            2.5" tubing will have a CSA of 4.91" (area), 2.25" tubing will have 3.98", each 2" tube will have 3.14", or 6.28" for the pair. Stock area (1.75" dual) is 2.41" x 2, or 4.82".

I build a lot of dual 2" for the racing guys. True dual with an x-pipe at the center support bearing seems to work well all around. Not quite as much area as a 3" (7" CSA), but I can tuck the 2" completely under the frame rails in the front, up near the CSB in the center, and really makes a difference for ground clearance when going under the rear sub frame.

Here's a pic in an e36, but I do the same for e30's: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4n9fLtgqtr/
            Thanks Firebird for that info. So it's sounds like running dual 2" shouldn't affect performance even though I'm mostly stock? I do intend on an all-motor ITB build down the line. I'm partial to how duals sound anyway and I'm not out to set records, so I'm okay with the extra weight, I just want to make sure it's done properly.

As an aside, I bought a muffler for the ratty exhaust that's on the car before I got the headers, would it impede exhaust flow too much if I y-piped the dual 2" into the single 2.25" right at the muffler? Thanks again for the reply.

Comment

If you go duals you go duals all the way. IMO

FF may know best place to put an X pipe for your power band, which would be good place for a wide band. But then a street car resonator may take up that space. I really like XR1 muffler in the middle and Magnaflow oval race in the back. Could be like a boss and run dual wide bands.

I wouldn't try and mix and match stuff. and now you need a really nice X pipe, the stamped ones arnt that great...

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                If you go duals you go duals all the way. IMO

FF may know best place to put an X pipe for your power band, which would be good place for a wide band. But then a street car resonator may take up that space. I really like XR1 muffler in the middle and Magnaflow oval race in the back. Could be like a boss and run dual wide bands.

I wouldn't try and mix and match stuff. and now you need a really nice X pipe, the stamped ones arnt that great...
                That's good to know. Which XR-1 have you used? I've looked on their site but I don't see anything for my dual 2" setup.

Comment

Working...
                X