X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo oil feed

Im on the learning process for the oil setup on my future
    m20T

i know how to route the drain from the turbo to the Pan .

i want to know how to feed the turbo ?
    ive seen many people put a T on the oil pressure swich,
    is the oil pressure swich is the same as the oil pressure sensor close to the oil filter?
    if no , where is located the oil pressure swich.

second question , did i must put oil filter relocation kit to clear the manifold of i shoul be fine stay with oem location ?

last thing , if I put an oil filter reloc kit, will I can put an oil cooler ?

thanks !!

Ya most people just tee of the oil pressure switch. These cars don't have pressure sensors factory but always a good idea to add one. Depends on the manifold you get, some clear some dont. I recommend a oil cooler but lots of people don't use them. Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

The best way is to use an oil cooler banjo bolt that has had a fitting attached to the head, so that you are getting fresh oil right out of the filter for your turbo. Whether your filter needs to be relocated will depend on what manifold you use. As long as there is enough clearance to get the oil filter on and off a runner near the filter isn't an issue, if it's uncomfortably close (within a couple of inches) it's easy to bend up a piece of sheet metal to shield the filter.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

Thanks !!
        can you shoot me picture of that banjo bolt ? Or a link to buy things to make it happen ?!

Comment

I don't know who sells them, I just think I've seen it around. I took mine to a local hydraulic shop and had them drill the center of the bolt and braze the AN fitting onto it.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	uarLYy8.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	9943975

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          - updated 3-17

Comment

If you're not planning to run AC, you can rotate the oil filter housing toward the front of the engine and get a lot more clearance for the filter installation/removal. For actually supplying oil to the turbo I ended up machining a manifold which holds the stock oil switch, an oil pressure sensor, an oil temp sensor, and the turbo oil feed. I pulled the oil from the original location of the oil pressure switch near the filter.

Comment

I went with a similar setup to varg but just drilled and tapped the banjo bolt with a 1/4 NPT tap. Go slow and center the drill bit on the banjo bolt as much as possible and you should be okay. I haven’t had any leaks just tapping it.

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
                I went with a similar setup to varg but just drilled and tapped the banjo bolt with a 1/4 NPT tap. Go slow and center the drill bit on the banjo bolt as much as possible and you should be okay. I haven’t had any leaks just tapping it.
                This is the approach I'm going to use, although I have access to several lathes for the drilling/tapping.

OP, I bet your local machine shop would drill/tap the bolt for less than it would cost you to buy a good set of drill bits and a tap.
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Alright !
                  thanks everyone, it seem a good idea and I will go this route !

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                    OP, I bet your local machine shop would drill/tap the bolt for less than it would cost you to buy a good set of drill bits and a tap.
                    Agreed. The whole reason I didn't even attempt to do it myself is because all I have are cheap bits, a hand drill and some old chinese taps. The hydraulic shop I went to nicely attached an AN fitting to mine for less than the cost of a good tap and bit. let alone the drill press I'd have needed to do it straight.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                    X