Flipped Manifold for Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flipped Manifold for Turbo

I just thought I would document here that I'm flipping my M10's exhaust manifold and throwing on a T3 flange. It's not gonna be pretty, but it's gonna be cheap.

Here's a quick photo of the manifold post flip, just for those interested in doing a similar route.
    Attached Files
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

cool idea. can you get to the spark plugs easy enough?

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      cool idea. can you get to the spark plugs easy enough?
      we'll see... I'm most concerned about #1 and getting a spark plug wire there. The gasket was just for test fitment, I believe it's best to cut it up or flip it to the bottom as well. gonna have to play with it.

Comment

I saw this done on a car in my local area. It was a nasty hack job and the car didn't run, but apparently it did at one time. After seeing the completed hack job I wondered why nobody had come out with a turbo adapter to accomplish it in a clean way. Maybe the manifold gets restrictive at the higher power levels after turbocharging?

Comment

Little update. Turbo installed and extra equipment. It's not great in terms of clearance to other pieces, but it does clear the hood without my current exhaust setup.

Compressor outlet elbow is hitting the wheel well because of the design of this turbo--compressor outlet -> 2.25" adapter -> 90 deg silicone elbow. Nonetheless, it still looks like it's gonna work. Oil drain returns to the lower timing cover.

Getting to the #1 sparkplug is impossible with the manifold on. I ended up just flipping the factory exhaust gasket. I've added fiberglass sleeves to protect against heat to the ignition wires. We shall see if they are effective or not. I believe once I have a coil or wire fail I will be moving to coil-near-plug GM coils.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by thebutterson View Post
            I saw this done on a car in my local area. It was a nasty hack job and the car didn't run, but apparently it did at one time. After seeing the completed hack job I wondered why nobody had come out with a turbo adapter to accomplish it in a clean way. Maybe the manifold gets restrictive at the higher power levels after turbocharging?
            I think it should flow better than a log style manifold, frankly. 1&3 are together, 2&4 are together. With a bit more time fabricating I'm sure you could design something well, but turbo placement seems to be the biggest issue here.

Comment

Sorted out the big issues with the setup yesterday. Today I'll be ironing out issues with the crank trigger and figuring out which hole isn't firing.

Quick vid:

Comment

Cool project! Having trouble viewing your video though.

Comment

How's the exhaust manifold nut access? It's one of the worst parts about my M20 turbo setup, some of the nuts are so obstructed I can only get a quarter turn on them at a time.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                    How's the exhaust manifold nut access? It's one of the worst parts about my M20 turbo setup, some of the nuts are so obstructed I can only get a quarter turn on them at a time.
                    it's not bad. the worst is for sure around the collector, but not horrible. There's a pass through in the casting to get a socket + extension on pretty much any of them. Might have to change extensions, but it's not that bad.

Got it started and idling... Now I need to address some back-feeding issues that seem to be alternator related. Here's another video. I've made it public if somehow it was causing issues for people to see the other, not as interesting video.

backfeeding issues from the alternator. I'll be investigating more, hooking up the wideband, and tuning.

Comment

I was just looking at an E21 manifold upside- down the other day, thinking how that
                      wasn't too bad...

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Another update--it is possible to access #1 spark plug without removal of turbo or manifold. It's a pain and you need to use a 1/4in drive ratchet because a 3/8ths drive is too big, but it works.

The alternator was backfeeding and keeping the car running. I added a diode and removed the rest of the cluster. Got everything wired in, including vehicle speed, fuel level, and e-fan. Finally I'll have a cluster that will have an accurate odometer ;D

I'm dealing with oil leaks and turbo oil feed too big/return too small. I have a 90 degree -10AN on the drain, so I'm swapping that to a 45 deg turn from the turbo and another 45 on the motor. Hopefully that fixes much of the oil smoking on decel after boost. I probably went too big on the feed side, it is a -6AN, which I might change to a -4AN, and possibly a restrictor if it needs it.

Moreover, my crank sensor is right at the edge of the toothed wheel, so it sometimes loses RPM sync, momentarily stops the motor(spark cut), gets RPM sync again, and keeps going after shooting a huge flame out of the turbo up pipe. That's my priority to fix this weekend if I can manage to bend the 02again timing sensor bracket about 3-5mm without breaking it. It's billet aluminum.

Hopefully I'll have another video of it driving soon, I only have tuned a little fuel out of it below 4k RPM. It pulls strong with very little timing and only 10psi before running into overboost cut. I'm trying to be very careful with it until I sort out all the issues. As y'all know, it's pure chaos when everything is happening, so it's great to not have to worry about the engine bay catching on fire from oil being sprayed all over the place.

Comment

I had the same problem with the engine not shutting off and when I swapped in a newer cluster it went away.

What's wrong with the trigger setup? I'm running the 02again setup without modification and don't have any issues. Maybe you have a washer stuck under the sensor/bracket that shouldn't be there?

Comment

Originally posted by thebutterson View Post
                            What's wrong with the trigger setup? I'm running the 02again setup without modification and don't have any issues. Maybe you have a washer stuck under the sensor/bracket that shouldn't be there?
                            Long story short: You're probably right, and I'm buying another bracket. :roll:

Main issue is that I bent the bracket in more than 1 axis. Now, the sensor is great in terms of tooth depth, but is too far away from the toothed wheel. I removed the extra washers that I had because in my head "there's no way a 2mm washer could mess up alignment that much," when in fact it basically moved the sensor basically the amount I aimed to bend it. Sooo yeah, classic me--fixing things that aren't actually broken, only to find out that I was too clever for myself. I didn't recall having this issue on a properly adjusted sensor before taking the motor apart, so I must have thrown in the extra washers when attaching the water pump and never thought about it. Oh well...

Got the 45 degree fittings for my oil drain, but since we're gonna get 8" tonight(sounds like a great saturday, am I right??), I figured I'll wait until it's a little warmer later in the week to mess with it.

Comment

As to the oil drain, I've found that not all AN fittings are created even close to equal.

If you can get away with a 45, that's probably enough, but look at HOW it makes
                              the 45- I had a Russell that worked great, as it was formed tube,
                              but an Aeroquip not work at all, as it was a drilled casting. And the drilling
                              wasn't very clean.

hth

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                              X