Rocker Arm shaft stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocker Arm shaft stuck

Disassembling a 2.7 head and trying to get the rocker arm shafts out but they are not budging. Got them about 1 inch out and now no matter how hard I whack them they wont budge. There is no tension on any of the rockers, it seems like there is some dirt binding it up but not sure it would cause 0 movement.

you can use a socket extension as a drift. the rockers from cyl 1 are removed first. how to strip an m20 head.

Comment

I am using an extension my problem is that its not moving.

Comment

probably a burr, score,, build up or the end is mushroomed . need go back a bit and inspect for damage. if you keep pounding it something will break
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

have you removed spring tension from all the rockers? if there are any pressing on the face of a cam lobe, it's going to be tough to get out.

there's really no reason to use a hammer on them. that's why a lot of them end up messed up..
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

No tension on any of the rockers, I tried pushing it the other direction and it wont move at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackity View Post
              No tension on any of the rockers, I tried pushing it the other direction and it wont move at all.

do have a pic ?
              check to make sure you didn't have a rocker walk off the cam lobe. it happened to me on reinstall.
              Last edited by 82eye; 10-05-2021, 06:06 AM. Reason: lobe

Comment

How clean is the rocker shaft? Oil varnish buildup is enough to cause issues
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Got the intake side out with a lot of cleaning and tapping, however the exhaust side is nearly completely stuck. I'm gonna replace it now but I cant get it out. Using a clamp to try and push it back in didn't work no amount of whacking will make it move.

Comment

Your going to have to heat the rockers with a torch so they expand.

Comment

I had a terrible time with these shafts, i got one rocker free rotate the cam tried to hammer the shaft out another one returned to place and jam the shaft again.

Comment

You can file the ends of the shafts. They can be mushroomed after hammering on the ends.

You can easily score rocker arm inner bearing surfaces.

Comment

Got it out with a lot of heat and beating. Think I can reuse this rocker shaft with some filing as suggested earlier? Thanks all for the help

Comment

Working...
                          X