Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

early or late model options for cabrio 89

Hello e30 experts,

when ordering parts for my 325i 89 convertible, i often run into the issue of not knowing whether to order "early" or "late" model versions. Google searches would tell me that anything after 9/87 is considered "late model", but my car is 89 and has all the early model body specific pieces, such as the diving boards bumpers and early model lights. I'm currently looking to buy a timing belt kit and a coolant hose kit but there are specific kits for early or late model m20 engines. I assume mine is late model because its after 87, but things are weird with the convertibles and don't want to spend $200 without some confirmation first. Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching online but couldn't find any answers. Any wisdom is appreciated

Cheers

If the coolant reservoir is on the passenger side, it's an early model cooling setup. If it's on the drivers side, it's a late model cooling system.
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      If the coolant reservoir is on the passenger side, it's an early model cooling setup. If it's on the drivers side, it's a late model cooling system.
      thank you

Comment

Will it pull up the right parts if you search on https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select using your VIN?
        sigpic84 325e

Comment

Convertibles are an exception. They are early models for the most part until mid 91 before they got the face-lift around mid 91 production date or so.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by 808ETA View Post
            Will it pull up the right parts if you search on https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select using your VIN?
            not sure, I didn't know i could use my VIN as a reference on that sight. If so, that's helpful

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
              Convertibles are an exception. They are early models for the most part until mid 91 before they got the face-lift around mid 91 production date or so.
              early model body pieces with late model engine bay changes it seems

Comment

Originally posted by cumwizard13 View Post

early model body pieces with late model engine bay changes it seems
                This is correct.
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

What's so fantastic about the E30 'vert is that the body details lagged the other cars so much that
                  even after normal shell production stopped the '92 convertible got a relatively subtle change to the rear bumpers...
                  for one year only... because they wanted to.

it's so BMW....

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                    What's so fantastic about the E30 'vert is that the body details lagged the other cars so much that
                    even after normal shell production stopped the '92 convertible got a relatively subtle change to the rear bumpers...
                    for one year only... because they wanted to.

it's so BMW....

t
                    always thought the 92's got the world plastic bumpers. 91's were a mixed bag of both world and big bumpers. verts kept the big bumpers longer in north america.
                    bmw went to the world bumpers on the air bag verts but installed them on earlier coupes that were pre airbag.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post

always thought the 92's got the world plastic bumpers. 91's were a mixed bag of both world and big bumpers. verts kept the big bumpers longer in north america.
                      bmw went to the world bumpers on the air bag verts but installed them on earlier coupes that were pre airbag.
                      Kinda, I'm pretty sure that late convertibles had shorter bumpers than the standard diving boards found on the coupes/sedans. I had 2 post 9/1987 verts with beefy bumpers and a 10/1988 vert with body colored shrouds and bumpers that seemed an inch or two shorter.

sigpic
                      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Kinda, I'm pretty sure that late convertibles had shorter bumpers than the standard diving boards found on the coupes/sedans. I had 2 post 9/1987 verts with beefy bumpers and a 10/1988 vert with body colored shrouds and bumpers that seemed an inch or two shorter.

Ahhh it's not the bumpers but the bumper shocks that are shorter. The 88 coupe/sedan with metal bumpers started using shorter shocks so I'm sure they started using them on verts at some point as well. Chances are parts were swapped if you have a car that has a shorter bumper in the rear but not the front. Back in the day, I bought these shorter shocks to swap onto my 85 before drilling and compressing the old shocks was a thing.
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post

Ahhh it's not the bumpers but the bumper shocks that are shorter. The 88 coupe/sedan with metal bumpers started using shorter shocks so I'm sure they started using them on verts at some point as well. Chances are parts were swapped if you have a car that has a shorter bumper in the rear but not the front. Back in the day, I bought these shorter shocks to swap onto my 85 before drilling and compressing the old shocks was a thing.
                          That makes sense. Having started with the bumpers on that bronzit vert, I never understood the diving board hate. I thought they looked proportional and provided a ton of protection when street parked. I remember walking home and seeing someone hit my car while parking. I was going to roll it back a bit, but after they hit me and fucked up their modern plastic bumper, I jest kept walking because my car was perfectly fine.
                          sigpic

Comment

has anyone seen a big bumper vert with the air bag wheel?

have read that the north american verts did not get small bumpers until the air bag wheel, while coupes got them earlier. apparently, there was a back log of parts that bmw wanted to clear so they used them on the verts to reduce stock, only switching when the vert cars went air bag.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
                              has anyone seen a big bumper vert with the air bag wheel?

have read that the north american verts did not get small bumpers until the air bag wheel, while coupes got them earlier. apparently, there was a back log of parts that bmw wanted to clear so they used them on the verts to reduce stock, only switching when the vert cars went air bag.
                              Yes. This is a 90 325iC. The airbag, since it was required by law at the time took precedence.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	146.4 KB ID:	10115513

Comment

Working...
                              X